High Speed Wobble

dmanteigas

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, dmanteigas said:

Hi All,

I received my GT on July and currently have 10900km (6500 miles). Couldn't be more happy with the bike. About 2000km ago I've switched tyres from stock D222 to RoadAttack 3 GT (front and rear). Since then, I am experiencing high speed wobble above 190/200kmh when I ride alone which disappears when I lean over the gas tank. I am wondering that this may be due to having a GT front tyre (dealer recommended GT since I use to ride most of the time with passenger) and that I may need some different suspension setting from stock setting. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have Tracer 900 M.Y. 2017 (not GT). When I changed tyres last year, I checked approval lists of main tyre producers in Europe. Continental didnt aprove Road Attack 3 for Tracer 900. I was in contact with guys in Germany and one said, that he was asked Conti what was the resaon for non approval of Road Attack 3 for Tracer 900 and the response was - "due to instability by high speed by testing".

I have choose Michelin Road 5 and after 2000km in Alps and Dolomiti I am very satisfied.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:59 AM, Jiri said:

I have Tracer 900 M.Y. 2017 (not GT). When I changed tyres last year, I checked approval lists of main tyre producers in Europe. Continental didnt aprove Road Attack 3 for Tracer 900. I was in contact with guys in Germany and one said, that he was asked Conti what was the resaon for non approval of Road Attack 3 for Tracer 900 and the response was - "due to instability by high speed by testing".

I have choose Michelin Road 5 and after 2000km in Alps and Dolomiti I am very satisfied.

Just checked the Conti website and it seems that for the Tracer GT only the ContiMotion is approved

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm getting a slight wobble at speed but only in high speed sweepers. It seems to only happen at 80+ mph in corners. She is rock solid in a straight line up to 110 mph. I need to start adjusting a bit to see if I can't figure this out. I'll report back as I make adjustments.

I guess, I will never have high speed wobble as I never go over 120 km/h 😁. However I experienced similar problem after I hit a bad pothole. After that I got handlebars wobble around 70 km/h only. Checked the bike front and rear, no damage/bend to rims. Interestingly the problem kind of "healed" itself, after I rebalanced front wheel and found it needed additional 15 gr weight, next to existing 30 gr. The tires have 3500 kms on them.

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, mike said:

I'm getting a slight wobble at speed but only in high speed sweepers. It seems to only happen at 80+ mph in corners. She is rock solid in a straight line up to 110 mph. I need to start adjusting a bit to see if I can't figure this out. I'll report back as I make adjustments.

Rebound damping. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have rebound at max front and back. I added preload at both ends, added a couple of pounds pressure (38psi) in front, and removed the panniers. The bike was much better with very little movement up to 95 mph in turns. I am going to keep playing with things to find the best setup for me (250 lbs) with the stock components. I definitely want the side boxes installed for most rides.

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, mike said:

I have rebound at max front and back. 

Meaning the rebound circuit is fully closed?  

When you press down on the seat or the bars is the “rebound action” very slow?  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I actually put the suspension back to OEM settings and just raised the forks up to approx 15mm( before it was 7mm(?) with preload crank down for example) ... Much better handling, front stays down better under drag racing conditions... I'm finding these settings are working much better(better planted feeling) when the RPMs are above 5k vs the old settings I had

I used these settings: I'm 180# suited up

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

7 hours ago, mike said:

..added a couple of pounds pressure (38psi) in front...

You might want to try going the other way, dropping to around 33 at the front. I find the ride is far less harsh, less nervous feeling and feels more grippy. I also have the rear at 36psi.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I never go by the tires recommended for the bike.  To me that's like going with their recommended tire pressure.  I just installed a Shinko Raven rear tire on the GT.  Just ripped off around 1000 miles on the new shoe.  Great tire!  Also saves me lots of money and gives great tire life.

• 2 months later...

The wobble:  Old study showns it can be settled down and bike made stable again by leaning forward and lowering the body to the tank.  Watch this: 

• Thanks 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Supporting Member

I  avoid  the Dunlop Wobbel & Weave by putting on Michelin tires. This has worked with every new bike, I have owned that came with oem Dunlop tires.

He who dies with the most toys wins.