High Mileage FJ-09/Tracer Roll Call

On 1/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, olddawg said:

Thanks, I hope to make 200,000 if the bike and I both hold up.  I'm 76 yrs. old. 

Olddawg, I feel now much more comfortable about buying Tracer GT next spring, I am 72. I am riding now 2016 Africa Twin and was wondering if the Tracer is not too much on the sporty side of the sport touring... 

• Premium Member
On 1/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, olddawg said:

Thanks, I hope to make 200,000 if the bike and I both hold up.  I'm 76 yrs. old. 

Congrats to you and your FJ!

Can you summarize your FJs maintenance, repairs and mods?!

I basically took the 2018 season off due to work and family commitments so I only have about 27k miles on my fastest Red 2015 bought new in July 2016.

I do all my own maintenance and mods even though I have a 4 year YES warranty.  Clutch cable replaced profilactically, CCT replaced by Yamaha but I still installed an APE when I adjusted the valves at 26k miles (all were very tight), recall on handle bar risers done.  Installed XSR clutch and a bunch of other mods in addition to brake and suspension upgrades.

My chassis has be on the road since I was 17 and every year since; now applying for Medicare...

• Thumbsup 1

Oil & Filter  every 4,000 miles .  Chain & Sprockets 15,000  to 20,000  .  APE CCT , Tires Road 4 GT .  Fuel Pump replaced at about 53,000 .  Bike is stock except for windshield ( National Cycle ) .  Avg. 50 Mpg.  Rode in temps from 8F to 118F .  Great Bike  3/3/19  146,500    5/20/20 - 207,000 miles                       10/1/2020-224,000  Update , on 7/6/21 I hit 250,000 miles 

Edited by olddawg
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

Sudden but not complete,  Low pressure, bike would run about 25/30 mph .  I was about 150 miles from home and rode it all the way .  Sorry about the confusion this was answering betoneys question about a fuel pump problem 2yrs ago.  Bike is still good at 144,000 miles.

Edited by olddawg
  • Thumbsup 1

On 2/8/2019 at 9:13 PM, olddawg said:

Sudden but not complete,  Low pressure, bike would run about 25/30 mph .  I was about 150 miles from home and rode it all the way .

Good you got home Olddawg, but that doesn’t sound good . I experienced a sudden loss of power with my last bike. It turned out to be a burned exhaust valve...

‘Hope it’s fixable. Please keep us posted.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, jojosz said:

Good you got home Olddawg, but that doesn’t sound good . I experienced a sudden loss of power with my last bike. It turned out to be a burned exhaust valve...

‘Hope it’s fixable. Please keep us posted.

He replaced that pump 50,000 or so miles ago and kept on riding.

Let’s go Brandon

• 3 months later...

2015 FCGY with 13889mi

I ride year around and I live in Nevada came out of San Diego I usually don't ride in the rain.(commuter)

Been to dealer for all recommended intervals up to now (moved to Nevada and dealer is expensive)

Chain-tensioner under warranty replacement around 10k

Using SHAD 50L top case and 33L side cases (not always on the bike)

Dropped her once in the garage (sand for some reason) Broke a hand guard and had to replace

Replaced grips to a vintage style with more rubber

Wore out the factory rubber shoes and replaced with 

Going to start doing my own maintenance because I do know how but did not have as much time but going to now.

Needs chain adjustment

Might do the plugs even thought they were done at the last interval

Oil change and check fluids

• Premium Member

2015 - 26,500 miles

Started commute to work on the bike in December 2018 (rain or shine)

I do most of the maintenance myself,  except when I don't have the specialty tools

Shell Rotella T6 oil every 4,000 miles and always change the oil filter when I change the oil

• Thumbsup 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/16/2018 at 6:43 PM, jojosz said:

2016 FJ purchased in December 2015.

97100 miles.

I am riding year round - commuting in NY city, weekend and cross country touring. 10% two-up.

New York potholed roads and traffic certainly puts some extra strain on the bike...

Maintenance

Oil changes 4-6000 miles - zero oil consumption

Chains: 6 - replaced between 16-23k miles (one chain changed after only 5k miles - maybe faulty or due to worn rear shock)

Major service every 25-30k miles: valve adjustments (exhaust valves always tight), spark plugs, throttle bodies, KN air filter cleaning - no issues.

Tires: 22 rear / 14 front tires - best mileage (10200) and favorite tire: Dunlop Roadsmart 3, lowest milage (1500): Dunlop Q3; best for winter riding: Metzeler Tourance Next

Brake pads: 6 sets front; 3 rear

Cam chain tensioner: noise on/off, not replaced

Repairs/Upgrades

Suspension

- 41k miles: stock rear shock worn out; NY city potholes &  two-up touring certainly shortened the life of the shock - replaced with Öhlins shock;

- 45k miles: replaced front forks with Öhlins cartridges (great upgrade)

-96k miles: Ohlins rear shock leaked oil; replaced with K-tech shock

- 97k miles: left front fork seal broke - seals on both forks replaced

Foot pegs: broke off several times in parking tip-overs (NY city driving standards...); replaced with adjustable set. (I carry a spare set on the bike).

Crash protection:  sw-motech crash bars (perfect design); good protection of the bike in combination with the factory hard bags, except for the foot pegs. 

Radiator:  leaking at 60k miles (due to winter riding & gravel);  replaced the water pump with the radiator and added a fender extender

Skid plate - oil pan protection: the oil pan and exhaust are quite exposed due to low clearance (and undersprung stock suspension). I added a no-brand skid plate at about 20k miles.  At 68k miles the oil pan cracked when I rode over a piece of wood - the skid plate bent and cracked, but saved the headers and probably prevented a hole in the pan; replaced with a sw-motech skid plate (solid)

Aux lights: added PIAA LED aux lights (great upgrade)

Wind protection: the stock windshield is not sufficient for colder temperatures; the hand guards deflect air, but are more designed for optics than protection. I added a v-stream tall windshield + an MRA deflector - perfect for long-distance riding. Replaced the stock hand guards with off-road hand-guards.

Clutch cable: required lots of lubing - every 1500-2500 miles

- 27k miles: cable snapped, replaced

- 50k miles: cable replaced with the updated 2017 design (still lots of lubing, but held up fine); 

- 91k miles:  installed Magura hydraulic clutch (great upgrade)

Instrument cluster stand: broke at 65k miles (unit is too flimsy for tall windshield & NYC potholed roads)

Steering and wheel bearings: 

- 91k miles: steering and wheel bearings replaces with Allballs sets; steering bearing worn out.

- 97k miles: bearings front wheel replaced

Observations and overall assessment

When it comes to bikes and riding, tastes and perceptions vary, thus this is just my 5cents, nothing more. Also, the road conditions in and around New York City are not Yamaha’s responsibility.

The FJ09 has been a very solid touring bike. It's light and nimble, with a good power band. 

Two-up riding is doable on the FJ, but there are better bikes if you ride with a pillion - the rear shock just copes with the weight and the pillion seat is a little too far back (this should be improved with the 60mm longer swing arm on the 2019 Tracer900)

- brakes: solid Yamaha / Brembo standard ware. The ABS is simple but works fine in my view. 

- traction control: the TCS regulates early which is fine for touring and city riding - saved my skin quite a few times on oil, gravel etc. 

- electric system - no problems whatsoever. The FJ always starts on first click; excellent LED lights and good alternator output (heated grips + jackets and gloves for two no problem)

Yamaha should have recalled and replaced the clutch cable on the 15/16 models with a hydraulic option - the clutch pull is too heavy. The 2017+ models with the assisted/slipper clutch solve the issue.

The suspension is sub-standard in my view - Ohlins was an expensive but great upgrade - still, the 130mm travel of the rear shock is too short for US north east “quality” roads. Clearance is low for a touring bike and the oil pan is vulnerable - a skid plate is a good investment. Dirt roads are not the FJ’s playground... 

Would I buy another FJ09? Short answer: no. I will change to a bike with more suspension travel and clearance. If I’d buy another sport touring bike, I would forego some of the cost and maintenance advantage of the Yamaha and chose between the KTM1290 Adv S, BMW S1000XR, Ducati Multistrada 1260S - and probably regret it 😉

Great write up!

• Thumbsup 3

• 3 weeks later...