High Mileage FJ-09/Tracer Roll Call

• Supporting Member
On 12/31/2020 at 10:44 AM, scjaws said:

...I'm considering selling it and getting something smaller.  Still in the "Thinking about it phase."

Is it the overall weight & size of the FJ that’s a challenge, or just the seat height?   It’s tall and spacious for a sub-500 pound motorcycle, which is great for me at 6’1”.   But I know that can be an issue for riders with a shorter inseam, so wondered if lowering the bike might help you out a bit? 

It’s a really fun motorcycle to ride, so I’m sorry to see that you’ve been limited in your seat time. 

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Weight! I have lost most of my balance  as I've gotten.  Exercises haven't helped.  The FJ was a step down from Concours 14. My wife wants me to quit riding altogether, but I have trouble seeing myself without a bike. Maybe I'm just getting too old. I've been riding since 1971, perhaps 50 years is long enough.

• Premium Member

Please tell me that riding 50 years is not enough.  I've got 48 years under me and I'm just getting started. I do  rarely ride my Goldwing anymore but my wife wants me to keep it  for the  few times a year that she wants some wind therapy. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

No number of years is really enough, but perhaps it's just my time to quit. I once read a story of man who got a 250 from his kids on his 92nd birthday.  Always hoped to be like him. Only time will tell.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 11:54 PM, olddawg said:

update 7/6/21  250,000 miles 

Nice, keep going ...

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2022 at 10:03 AM, olddawg said:

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I've not been on for a while.  Just normal wear.  Just needed fork seals at about 260,000.  Still original clutch and all bearings.  Hope to make 300,000 miles by this time next year.  I'm 79 yrs. young we will see who wears out first me or the bike.  

amazing and inspiring me to get out there and ride more. only 12500 on my 2015 fastest red

• 4 months later...