• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Riding suit

writetome

I currently do my motocamping trips in the Olympia Odessey textile riding suit. I have been very satisfied with it and it has held up pretty well over the last 3 years. No complaints so far apart from slight leakage from the main zip near the crotch under heavy downpour - does not make a good conversation topic at work hehe

Anyways, I am willing to upgrade/move on preferably to another textile riding suit. Any suggestions? Looks like the only option i have left is Aerostitch. If you guys have any other suggestions, preferably cheaper, that'd be great. Ventilation is pretty important for me and that is something i love about the Odessey.

I have over 8 years and 50,000 miles including an unplanned off-road, off-bike excursion on my one-piece Roadcrafter.  No leaks (unless you leave zips open), convenient and not to mention fashionable.  I expect another 8 years with the occasional wash in waterproofing.  I also have their unlined Ultralight one piece for the warm temperatures here in Texas.  I'm confident the R-3 would be just about right for everyone.  

This is great value over time not to mention great customer service and Made in USA. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

X2 on the roadcrafter. I’m extremely pleased with mine. It took me a while to get up the nerve to drop that kind of coin but I’m glad I did. Good protection. Don’t have to take up space in my bags with rain gear when I go cross country and I never have to stop to unpack and put it on. Just zip up and ride. 

Edited by micah2074
Bad paste
  • Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

X3 on the Stich. NOBODY beats Aerostich in terms of quality and durability. Nobody. The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. I bought a First Gear one piece suite a few years ago for $299. I like it in terms of comfort and fit BUT, it leaks on both sides at the zippers that give you access to your pants pockets. Funnels the water straight to my crotch. Means I leave it on the hanger when the forecast is rain. Shame. Yup, the Aerostich stuff is pricey but it’s worth it. 

• Premium Member

I've been thinking about possibly upgrading to Stich or Klim for convenience of wet and dry riding, BUT what about the slime and grime that can come  w riding in rain?  Today in Jersey it was raining and 60°F.  Put on my cheapo 2-piece rain gear, hood under helmet, stayed dry and didnt worry about getting things dirty.  Could always just hose off the rubber suit.   If I had expensive Goretex would the breathability be affected by the dirt?  Just looking for opinions.  Thks,

• Premium Member

Non issue. Stuff doesn't seem to stick to my Aerostich. The red ballistics on my lower legs show a little dirt after two Oregon winters, but nothing bad. The rest of my suit is black and it's still black. I've had the current suit 2.5 years and have not washed it yet. 

If you order some other main color with black ballistics, the lower legs will be black which hides everything.

My last Roadcrafter was grey with black ballistics. I think I washed it twice in 17 years, and that was only because of a funk after some hot days.

Of course, I only wash my bike once or twice a year too, so take it FWIW.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 12/21/2018 at 8:29 PM, mikerbiker said:

I've been thinking about possibly upgrading to Stich or Klim for convenience of wet and dry riding, BUT what about the slime and grime that can come  w riding in rain?  Today in Jersey it was raining and 60°F.  Put on my cheapo 2-piece rain gear, hood under helmet, stayed dry and didnt worry about getting things dirty.  Could always just hose off the rubber suit.   If I had expensive Goretex would the breathability be affected by the dirt?  Just looking for opinions.  Thks,

Clothing with a Goretex liner will have a DWR coating which will help prevent wet crap contaminating the outer layer. This does wear off but I find a wash once, maybe twice, a year with something like Nikwax Tech wash and then treatment with Nikwax TX Direct cleans and refreshes the DWR coating. I do this in a washing machine - Tech wash in the soap drawer and TX Direct where you put the fabric conditioner so it is added with the final rinse. 

My goto brand is Rukka. I try to buy their products on closeout. Not sure if you get them in the US but they have a reputation in Europe on the level with Klim.  

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very well made Held one piece leather race suit that I use for all types of riding and touring.  Very comfortable.  However when I find myself back in the market for another riding suit I am probably getting an Aerostitch.  Love that it is waterproof and has lots of pockets.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

If it's the same price I'm not sure why anyone in North America would buy the Klim. The Aerostich has more sizes, more colors, 30 years of refinement, custom sizing, repair service, made in the USA, options, etc...

I don't doubt Klim is high quality stuff. But for the same price the Aerostich seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Premium Member

I like the look and features of the Klim but just learned that they do not offer much in way of repairs other than those for warranty work.  For the entry price I prefer the service that Aerostich offers of refurbishment down the road if needed.   Dont know that i could find many shops that work with goretex to repair or replace panels/zippers in case of minor getoff...

On 12/27/2018 at 2:29 PM, wessie said:

My goto brand is Rukka. I try to buy their products on closeout. Not sure if you get them in the US but they have a reputation in Europe on the level with Klim.  

I like leather...but I wanted something I didn't have to bring rain gear with me...pull over to put it on.

I looked at Rukka, Kim and the Roadcrafter, but decided to go with a transit suit.  Transit is fully WP, and I like the extra protection of leather. Downside is you cant step out of it...pants are pants.

Matt