Riding suit

writetome

11 years in my Stich. It's getting a bit worn out.I've replaced a couple of zippers at the side pockets and have re-sewn several of the velco strips back on. The the bottom of the legs are a little ragged out. Nothing that a bit of hand "stiching" wasn't able to fix. But I ride everyday. It's easy on and off. Stupid people think I'm a cosmonaut (I wonder how they got that Idea! HA) . Its ugly and worn, like me. But it works and I have never, ever forgot my pants when I put it on! They ain't cheap, but I'll get another when this one is toast. 

Edited by 2linby
  • Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
On 1/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, zupatun said:

I like leather...but I wanted something I didn't have to bring rain gear with me...pull over to put it on.

I looked at Rukka, Kim and the Roadcrafter, but decided to go with a transit suit.  Transit is fully WP, and I like the extra protection of leather. Downside is you cant step out of it...pants are pants.

Matt

I've have an all black Aerostitch two piece "Clasic" suit I bought for what in 1988 had been since 1981 and was until 2004 my weekday 36 mile round trip commute to downtown Chicago (the "Loop").  Back then with the hip pads, back protector, right forearm sleeve and left thigh clear velcro-on pockets it was only a bit over half the price it is today.  Now it doesn't have the waterproof zippers and other refinements added since but it has held up up to probably 70,000 miles of commuting, weekday and weekend day rides plus touring EXTREMELY well, so much so it looks almost new.  Now I wash it probably more often than most, use both mentioned Nikwax wash-in treatments plus regular topical cleaning followed by application of a spray-on DWR.  Now my suit is NOT entirely waterproof in a major deluge, and crotch leaks in lesser monsoons are a given, so I carry an Olympic 2 piece breathable nylon rainsuit when rain is forecast.  I MUCH prefer the versatility a 2 piece suit offers, and often mix and match othermotorcycle jackets and pants based on weather and the bike I'm riding.  They also sell for their 2 piece suits a rear "Elipse" for a sportbike truck, and a bib front - suspender adapter I really like.

I have other Aerostitch gear including fleece but about 4 years ago when I received an email from them that because they were unable to obtain the Gore Pro leather used in their Transit suit, I bit the bullet again and  bought a first quality (the had cheaper "blems") two piece (only way it came) Transit 2 suit and also have not regretted it for more than the first ride in it.  It is a fantastic suit with the only caviat ks they do NOT do repairs on it as they were made in Vietnam to their design, specs and materials.  Only BMW  and Ruhka make anything close in a waterproof leather suit (but not also treated to reflect UV) but detail and fit are far behind plus they must be sent in for factory retreatment.  Surprisingly, Tour Master offered a lower end similar suit for under $850 (my Transit 2 was over $2k) but it didn't sell well but you may still find them on close out.

Now I have literally a closet full of other jackets pants and suits plus a half dozen daily wear boots and dozens of gloves I wear as the machine and ride dictate but for commuting and touring an Aerostitch suit cannot be beat IMO when you consider protection, fit, quality, weight and cost per mile or year.

• Thumbsup 3

On 1/16/2019 at 4:31 PM, Dark&Stormy said:

Im tempted to make a pilgrimage to Aerostich this year and get a custom fitted suit. Its a short 10hr ride. (12 if i dont speed).

Sign up for their email newsletters for sales notifications - every summer they offer an in store discount - and make the trip then. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, kmev said:

Sign up for their email newsletters for sales notifications - every summer they offer an in store discount - and make the trip then. 

I see your CTB in your thumbnail.  I wore them for years but finally decided they were too clunky for street only and stopped doing dirt , so I polished em up and sold them for what I paid for em (did have new soles though).  Great boots...were made by Sidi.  Not big on their gloves, I'm a believer in hard palm sliders and armor.   Their Vulcan paw rain covers are OK but must be worn under-sleeve but they now have a short cuff version which I may get next on sale.  They have boot covers that  store Velcro'd in the front of the legs of their suits too.

Andy Goldfine is a character, is quirky but was a visionary.  He and I are the same age but I look 10 years younger or he 10 older...  I still have the need for speed and I'm not sure he every has...

Whose flip-front do you like best?

Counting the days until spring...

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I see your CTB in your thumbnail.  I wore them for years but finally decided they were too clunky for street only and stopped doing dirt , so I polished em up and sold them for what I paid for em (did have new soles though).  Great boots...were made by Sidi.  Not big on their gloves, I'm a believer in hard palm sliders and armor.   Their Vulcan paw rain covers are OK but must be worn under-sleeve but they now have a short cuff version which I may get next on sale.  They have boot covers that  store Velcro'd in the front of the legs of their suits too.

Andy Goldfine is a character, is quirky but was a visionary.  He and I are the same age but I look 10 years younger or he 10 older...  I still have the need for speed and I'm not sure he every has...

Whose flip-front do you like best?

Counting the days until spring...

I have the Combat Lites and really like them. They were perfect for commuting, as they were on or off in seconds. I once used them to hike a glacier - I will never do that again and now take them off for any length of walking. But for riding I have no complaints. I heard they are not making them anymore and  I see old pairs going to what I consider ridiculous prices. 

I like Aerostich's elk gloves in short and long versions. I just got their "Vulcan Paws" for my trip this summer, so we'll see how they work. I've never tried their boot covers, but I was eyeing them. In my experience, if you're going to be riding all day in a rain on a bike that doesn't have enormous wind protection you eventually get wet no matter what you're wearing and there is not much you can do about it. My approach is to hope for a sunny day the next so everything dries out. 

I went straight from a cheap HJC to a Schuberth C3Pro when they were on closeout with Revzilla. I could not believe the difference. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but I do like the helmet. 

Edited by kmev

• Premium Member

Should be in "What Helmet Do you Wear"...

Started with the original HJC Symax, then the GMax 54S, followed by the Nolan N90, and now 2 Kabuto Ibuki.  Best of the lot in matching fastest 15 FJ-09 Red as well as Gloss Metallic Black for more stealthiness.  All with either Scala Rider Q3 or Packtalk units and UClear Pulse+ speakers.  Can you say rock n roll?

Never paid more than $113 for any of them.  The N90 is a fav too but I don't like the later Nolans; slider is where the comm unit goes, and I grafted the Scala to their removable N-Com cover.  I wear Howy Leight Laser Lites always, as I developed Tenitus 24 years ago after riding for 18 years.  have a dual lens and Fog City for the G-max but all the others have great Pinlock shields.  I have full-face with inner shields too.

I stay dry usually with my suits, boots and gloves, and like riding in the rain except in traffic of course.  The smells can be intoxicating, and nothing like running parallel to a rainbow at 70 mph...

Skokie VTR Kabuto Fallout N90 05.jpg

Skokie VTR Kabuto Fallout N90 04.jpg

Skokie VTR Kabuto Fallout N90 03.jpg

P0034_160611.jpg

P0036_160611.jpg

P0042_160611.jpg

20170216_220931.jpg

20170216_220925.jpg

20170216_220658.jpg

20170216_220611.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I love the comments on the Roadcrafter 1pc. I'm currently looking for my first used suit (size 46L if you know anyone selling) to try out this year. I've got two sets of leathers so coming from these, my main concern is abrasion resistance which the roadcrafter has proven to have. I figure if I can test a used suit this year that next year I'll get one tailored to fit.

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Nuckingfuts said:

I love the comments on the Roadcrafter 1pc. I'm currently looking for my first used suit (size 46L if you know anyone selling) to try out this year. I've got two sets of leathers so coming from these, my main concern is abrasion resistance which the roadcrafter has proven to have. I figure if I can test a used suit this year that next year I'll get one tailored to fit.

This is on Ebay now.  46L.

Screenshot_20190323-203148_eBay.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 3/22/2019 at 9:50 PM, Nuckingfuts said:

Check out the flea market at advrider.com.  There’s a wide range of used gear including all manner of Aerostich with new stuff added each day.  I count five one piece Aerostich suits on the first page alone.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

12 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

Check out the flea market at advrider.com.  There’s a wide range of used gear including all manner of Aerostich with new stuff added steadily each day.  I count five one piece Aerostich suits on the first page alone.

I've kept a pulse on that site for a couple weeks now. One of the best classifieds around!

Edited by Nuckingfuts

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going a different direction.

With some scheduled rides coming up in a couple weeks I'm short on time getting gear on hand. That and the fact that there just isn't many used 1pc roadcrafter suits popping up (as least ones that won't make me look like Santa or banana-man). I'll still be looking into getting a new roadcrafter either later this season or maybe winter but in the meantime I want to try and get geared up on a budget.

I've looked at Klim gear but would be spending just as much as a roadcrafter so I dug further and found comparable gear but at a fraction of the cost in Scorpion's line. Don't get me wrong, I love Klim gear and use it exclusively for enduro/dirt gear but I'm on a budget for this go around.

I ended up with Scorpion Yosemite jacket and pants. After getting them in hand I'm really impressed with how jam packet with features this gear has and the quality of materials is very comparable to aerostich's darien gear. Stoked that they use SAS tech armor which I prefer over the D3O and have bar tacking on the seams so they don't blow open on impact. This gear is considered 4 season gear and comes with removable liners (jacket has 2 separate removable liners) so I'll be anxious to test out extreme conditions.

I'll be doing some initial testing over the next two weeks leading up to a 3 day ride down the coast so after I spend some time with gear I'll do a quick follow up review. For the price I'm pretty confident the quality of this gear can't be beat. I've never considered Scorpion gear but I've gotta hand it to them, they did and exceptional job!

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

Aerostich all the way for me. Had my one piece  Roadcrafter since 1993.  Still the best  accessory I've ever gotten for  myself.   Definitely increases your mileage for the year if you go to it. They guarentee it.