Utah & Colorado Trip - Need Advise

betoney

• Supporting Member

I'm already chomping at the bit for 2019 road trips, one of the trips I am planning is a 9-day ride from Washington through Utah into Colorado.

I have 2 time frames in mind, either after Memorial Day or right after Labor Day but would like some advise on weather during those times of year.  I want to avoid any high elevation road closures due to snow and have heard some areas have "Monsoon Season".  Any shared knowledge or advise is greatly appreciated.

This is a rough idea of the area we will be riding.

Screenshot (12).png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, koth442 said:

That looks pretty amazing. 

I had this trip planned last year but days before we were scheduled to leave, I got hurt at work and had to cancel.  I have wanted to ride through this area for a long time but its a full 3-day ride each way to get there - we avoid interstate riding as much as possible.

• Premium Member

I can't say what the weather will be like but i did ride about 75% of your route last august. You will not be disappointed. CO 141 is amazing.  The million$ will take your breath away. I will suggest altering your route a bit to include UT 128 just outside of Moab. It's like riding through the grand canyon. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

Oh, a friend and i will be headed back out that way and riding through SW Utah (Zion) in august. Didn't make it there last time. If you get there before us, post up pics.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, BBB said:

I can’t comment on the roads @betoney, but I love that you are planning a road trip for next year at 7:03 am. 😆

If you only knew how often this time of year, I open up Google Maps and just daydream...  😎

• Premium Member

I never suggest Interstates, but. I-70 between Salina UT. and Grand Junction CO. has some pretty amazing scenery. Worth a look if it comes to that. 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, micah2074 said:

Here's a few miles of CO141 from last august.

Not to derail, but where is that go-pro mounted and how? 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Cut across Utah from Moab to Ridgeway Colorado then down to Ouray and Hwy 550 "The "Million Dollar" Hwy through Silverton to Durango.  Definitely go to Mesa Verde National Monument. FANTASTIC! 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Since no one answered your question,I’ll give it a try. I’ve ridden those roads many times. Neither of the times you mention is monsoon season. That’s in July, (usually). Around Memorial Day you have a small risk of late winter storm especially at higher altitudes. After Labor Day your worst potential issue is it being very hot. Of course those statements are based on experience and average weather, but guarantee nothing. It could snow either time of year, especially around Telluride. Have fun. Don’t pass a gas station out there without stopping. 

Archived