Utah & Colorado Trip - Need Advise

betoney

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, peripateticmike said:

Being from CO. Your route looks pretty good, but might I suggest you divert from Durango and head south and ride The Devil's Highway! Route 666/US191 in AZ. It's pretty awesome. Google it

I did some research and Route 666 has been renamed Route 491.

491 runs between Cortez, Co and I-40 in N.M. while 191 runs all the way from Canada to Mexico.  What portion of these roads is the absolute "must-ride"?  I only have so many vacation days. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, peripateticmike said:

Being from CO. Your route looks pretty good, but might I suggest you divert from Durango and head south and ride The Devil's Highway! Route 666/US191 in AZ. It's pretty awesome. Google it

Absolutely.  I rode this back when it was still 666, and it was an amazing experience!  I stumbled across it somewhat by accident on the way back to Texas from Phoenix, and it was a highlight of the trip. 

• Supporting Member

@betoney - The section of AZ 666 that I rode was on the very southern end of what is now 191.   The section that parallels the Gila National Forest is (or at least was) absolutely spectacular...  roughly between Morenci and Alpine Arizona.   

It’s probably well out of your way, but I do highly recommend it.  

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Absolutely.  I rode this back when it was still 666, and it was an amazing experience!  I stumbled across it somewhat by accident on the way back to Texas from Phoenix, and it was a highlight of the trip. 

Which part?  Looking at the map, this highway (now called Route 491) runs North/South and isn't anywhere Phoenix.  Am I missing something?

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, betoney said:

Which part?  Looking at the map, this highway (now called Route 491) runs North/South and isn't anywhere Phoenix.  Am I missing something?

Yes, it runs north/south, right along the eastern border of Arizona with New Mexico.  I rode from the south, up 666/191 from just off I-10 to the little town of Alpine AZ, then headed east into New Mexico and the Gila National Forest. 

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

It’s probably well out of your way, but I do highly recommend it.  

Well, if I can’t fit it into this upcoming trip, all the more incentive to plan a return trip in 2020!!!  👍

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Well, if I can’t fit it into this upcoming trip, all the more incentive to plan a return trip in 2020!!!  👍

That’s the spirit. 

Too many roads and not enough time...

Let’s go Brandon

Archived