Tight Chain

Took delivery of my FJ-09 today.  I measured the chain slack as set by the dealer/factory at 20mm total range (up plus down from static) while on center stand.  The chain sounds normal when spinning rear wheel in neutral on the center stand.  Shifting seems fine, too.

The mechanic at the dealers went over my bike with me when they handed it over, he told me the chain is tighter than normal on purpose due to the set up on the bike. he said it should be 5-15mm and that once you sit on the bike unlike most bikes it actually increases the clearance. can only presume this is due to the postion of the sprockets and pivot point of swinging arm.

^^Interesting^^. I checked my tension on the centerstand, then sat on the bike off the center stand and the tension was higher...Verified by my son checking tension.

• Premium Member
The mechanic at the dealers went over my bike with me when they handed it over, he told me the chain is tighter than normal on purpose due to the set up on the bike. he said it should be 5-15mm and that once you sit on the bike unlike most bikes it actually increases the clearance. can only presume this is due to the postion of the sprockets and pivot point of swinging arm.
I think you need to have a chat with @Cruizin about the veracity of the wisdom from a dealer technician...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Several others have noticed more freeplay with the suspension sacked on this model, which I assume is why the spec is also tighter.  Wouldnt want the chain to skip a tooth and wad up in the cases coming off a little hump or taking your girlfriend on a ride on humpday!  Someone needs to yank a shock to get to the bottom of all of these inquiries.

• Premium Member
Several others have noticed more freeplay with the suspension sacked on this model, which I assume is why the spec is also tighter.  Wouldnt want the chain to skip a tooth and wad up in the cases coming off a little hump or taking your girlfriend on a ride on humpday!  Someone needs to yank a shock to get to the bottom of all of these inquiries.
Alternatively, stop fretting, follow the manual and just ride the bloody thing. 
If it ain't broke, don't go "fixing" it...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived