Clutch cable failure

As I get to know my brand-new but '06 2015 build MT-09 Tracer, I have another question for those who have been around for a while.   I recall that early FJs/ MT's were prone to premature clutch-cable fraying and breakage, and that Yamaha introduced a fix, which I think had to do with the metal 'tube' that carries the cable on its first few inches out of the clutch-lever housing.   IIRC, the bend in this was too much and promoted the early cable failures.  In the pic below I highlighted the bend with a piece of white paper underneath it.

My VIN is: JYARN29K8FA000433.   So many numbers....

Is this likely to have the faulty part, and if so, would it be corrected at no cost to me under warranty?    Thanks for advice.. -  

P1040962.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

That looks like the original cable, the updated one has a smoother curve in the metal tube. I doubt it would be a warranty issue, despite there being an updated part. It’s relatively trivial to change. The cable starts to fray near the handle itself, so perhaps have a look at yours, but if it is low mileage then there should be no issue.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

Yamaha didn't treat the problem as a warranty issue, but they did release a new cable. My suggestion is to get the new cable and install at your convenience. If you think it will be a while before you do the install, store the cable under your seat, so if you have a failure while riding, you won't get stuck.

Many folks, including me, drove for a long time without having any issues. But, you never know if yours will be one of the early failures,  or not. Better to be safe than sorry.....

• Premium Member

I bought an updated cable a while back when Yamaha came out with it. The original (like yours) has been on the bike for 50k miles. If it ever breaks, I’ll install the updated cable. 

Let’s go Brandon

Thanks, guys, but I don't understand why if the 'tube' is the cause the cable had to be changed.   Someone please explain...!   Whatever, I'll get the necessary done at the first 1000km service, probably mid-January.   Meantime, I'll put some oil into the cable end to help...

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith - i suppose that it’s technically the ‘clutch cable assembly’ that was updated, and the altered portion appears to be the bend of that guide tube at the top.   But it’s all sold as a single component by Yamaha, so you replace the entire cable assembly to get the updated sub-component.  

Although I have no way of knowing for sure, I wouldn’t be surprised if the physical stranded wire cable is exactly the same.  

• Premium Member

The newer cables come with a housing that has a wider (less sharp) bend, which eases the friction/wear on the cable.

Many folks never had any issues, and so the advice has just been to monitor for wear. Many of us rode around with a spare cable just in case. I finally installed mine when doing maintenance, but didn't notice any unusual wear on the old cable.

Others have had failures, so it's up to each rider to decide if they want to replace the cable now, purchase and carry the cable with them, or wait until it breaks and fix.

Took my doggie to the vet a few days ago for a routine injection, and thought to scrounge the body - not the needle - of the syringe from the vet.   I figure it will be handy to squirt some oil into the clutch cable before I get the replacement part fitted later this month.

P1050001.JPG

Unfortunately mine snapped afternoon at 17,312 miles. Been lubing it and carried a spare because of reading the issue on here. Yesterday I noticed having problems getting it into neutral and made a clutch adjustment. Then need another clutch adjustment today and felt a click that was very suspicious in a shift so headed home and it snapped while fiddling with it. I have a 2015 model.

• Premium Member

Maybe lubing it is the problem. I’ve “lubed” mine twice with PB blaster in 50k miles. 

After posting this the SOB will probably snap tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

Let’s go Brandon

On 1/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, wordsmith said:

Took my doggie to the vet a few days ago for a routine injection, and thought to scrounge the body - not the needle - of the syringe from the vet.   I figure it will be handy to squirt some oil into the clutch cable before I get the replacement part fitted later this month.

If you're fitting the revised cable soon I wouldn't bother lubing the old cable. I'm at 9,000 miles on the original 2015 cable and no problems. I do carry the newer, revised cable with the expectation that I will be replacing it roadside at some point. 

I found the best way to lube cables was to hang them vertically and wrap a "funnel" of duct tape around the uppermost end and then fill the funnel with the lube of your choice. After a few hours you will see the lube dripping out of the bottom. I don't know how you would use your pictured syringe to add lube without making a duct tape funnel. 

Does anyone know how to be sure I'm getting the updated cable? I ordered a spare when I read about the failures, now when I go out and look at my spare, it's identical to the original in the bike. It seems like it'd be a good idea to use the updated version while taking the time to replace it.

32 minutes ago, kmev said:

I don't know how you would use your pictured syringe to add lube without making a duct tape funnel. 

I now don't intend to, but it seemed a good idea at the time!   I plan to have the dealer install the revised clutch lever assy with new cable at the upcoming first 1000km service.   I'll argue - weakly - it should be a warranty at-no cost job, but am not holding my breath!

2 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

I now don't intend to, but it seemed a good idea at the time!   I plan to have the dealer install the revised clutch lever assy with new cable at the upcoming first 1000km service.   I'll argue - weakly - it should be a warranty at-no cost job, but am not holding my breath!

Make sure you get the old cable back to carry with you in case the new cable fails!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Check the part number 2PP-26335-02.  The -02 is the new revised version.  And when you look at the cable, the upper end that goes into the clutch perch should have a smooth curve.

Clutch Cable.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***