Clutch cable failure

11 minutes ago, rockinsv said:

Does anyone know how to be sure I'm getting the updated cable? I ordered a spare when I read about the failures, now when I go out and look at my spare, it's identical to the original in the bike. It seems like it'd be a good idea to use the updated version while taking the time to replace it.

What year bike do you own? If you have a 2017 or newer you have the updated cable. If you have a 2015 of 2016, you want to order part number 2PP-26335-02. 

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, kmev said:

Make sure you get the old cable back to carry with you in case the new cable fails!

...or carry just the steel cable kit, similar to this. Reuse the outer tube... seems too convenient to ignore. Some assembly required. 😁

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

30 minutes ago, betoney said:

Check the part number 2PP-26335-02.  The -02 is the new revised version.  And when you look at the cable, the upper end that goes into the clutch perch should have a smooth curve.

Clutch Cable.JPG

Thank you!

That part number will be useful when I ask the dealer to order, otherwise GK what I'll end up with!   Many thanks...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

13 hours ago, rockinsv said:

Does anyone know how to be sure I'm getting the updated cable? I ordered a spare when I read about the failures, now when I go out and look at my spare, it's identical to the original in the bike. It seems like it'd be a good idea to use the updated version while taking the time to replace it.

The part number ends in “2” rather than “1”

03687E81-EAB8-4550-8276-4375B4C652C1.png

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Just ordered the new clutch cable assembly to be fitted at the bike's first 1000km service in a week or two's time - cost is AUD $37.96.   Better safe than sorry!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

12 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Just ordered the new clutch cable assembly to be fitted at the bike's first 1000km service in a week or two's time - cost is AUD $37.96.   Better safe than sorry!

Great idea, better safe than sorry. I was sure glad I was in my garage fiddling with it when it snapped. That could be really dangerous if it let go at the wrong time. Mine gave me a hint it had problems, but I now wish I'd just changed it sooner. I didn't realize I'd gotten the old cable initially as a replacement, but this forum helped me to figure it out and that thing is history.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd jump in here as today while riding all was well until I pulled in the clutch and it stretched about an inch it felt like and I could barely shift. Stopped tightened cable which barely allowed me to make it home. lots of guessing at the stoplight and speed shifting so I didn't have to use clutch. lol. Part on order. was actually relieved to see the problem was common as I wasn't sure what was wrong!! so thanks again to the info on forums : )

2015 FJ-09

10,100 miles

Clutch cable failure

Get a new one!!

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, ftweather said:

Just thought I'd jump in here as today while riding all was well until I pulled in the clutch and it stretched about an inch it felt like and I could barely shift. Stopped tightened cable which barely allowed me to make it home. lots of guessing at the stoplight and speed shifting so I didn't have to use clutch. lol. Part on order. was actually relieved to see the problem was common as I wasn't sure what was wrong!! so thanks again to the info on forums : )

2015 FJ-09

10,100 miles

Clutch cable failure

Get a new one!!

Happy it didn't leave you stranded! 

'15 FJ09

When collecting my 15 model in November the seller gave me a new unfitted clutch cable with the bike, i just accepted it without thinking and only now on discovering this thread know why the seller had it. The bike has the original cable (6000 miles) and the new cable is the 02 revised version.

I'll keep it in my top box for now (Not that I'm using the bike during the winter) and fit when I'm doing a minor service in the spring.

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 9:44 PM, betoney said:

"Check the part number 2PP-26335-02.  The -02 is the new revised version.  And when you look at the cable, the upper end that goes into the clutch perch should have a smooth curve."

@rockinsv Will this part# work with 2015? was ordering it but it says it does not fit a 2015, but i'm sure you guys know better than they do. 

• Thumbsup 1