Clutch cable failure

On 2/20/2019 at 2:53 AM, brewhaha said:

@rockinsv Will this part# work with 2015? was ordering it but it says it does not fit a 2015, but i'm sure you guys know better than they do. 

That is the correct part.   My dealer is holding one for me that I ordered a while ago to install in my mid-2015 Tracer at its first 1000km service shortly.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement clutch cable and assembly fitted today at the bike's first/ 1000km service.   Quite an appreciable difference in the bend in the OE entry 'tube' - the new one is much 'smoother'.   I have kept the OE in case of need.

Pic below - the OE assembly is the lower of the two here.

P1050161.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I barely made it home today.  By the end my clutch would not fully disengage, even though I had adjusted the cable several times.  I had to stop and start clutchless at two Stop signs.  I have the new part ready to go.  Haines manual says to disassemble the whole damn bike to remove the clutch cable.  I must say I'm skeptical of that.  I will look at it later. 

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, duhg said:

Haines manual says to disassemble the whole damn bike to remove the clutch cable.  I must say I'm skeptical of that.  I will look at it later. 

My buddy has a Haynes manual also and it tells him to do some silly steps for simple maintenance.  Use the Haynes for fire starter and get an official Yamaha manual.

When I replaced mine, I taped the end of the new cable to the old one and pulled the entire thing through the frame down to the engine end.  If you work it through slowly it shouldn't bind up or catch on anything.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, betoney said:

When I replaced mine, I taped the end of the new cable to the old one and pulled the entire thing through the frame down to the engine end.  If you work it through slowly it shouldn't bind up or catch on anything.

There is a cable retainer attached by the top radiator mounting bolt. I found it helpful to loosen the bolt and rotate the retainer out of the way. Not 100% necessary, though. 

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, duhg said:

I barely made it home today.  By the end my clutch would not fully disengage, even though I had adjusted the cable several times.  I had to stop and start clutchless at two Stop signs.  I have the new part ready to go.  Haines manual says to disassemble the whole damn bike to remove the clutch cable.  I must say I'm skeptical of that.  I will look at it later. 

Tape the bottom of the new cable to the top of the old cable. Loosen the radiator bolts so there's some space. Then pull from the bottom of the old cable. Wiggle and cuss until the new cable is in place.

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, koth442 said:

Wiggle and cuss until the new cable is in place.

That is how I do everything in the garage.  😀

• Haha 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

• Premium Member

Thanks for the coaching!  Much appreciated.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I ziptied the two cables together and pulled them through.  Wiggling and cussing were not required.  Easy. 

• Thumbsup 3

• 4 months later...