Clutch cable failure

40 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

My clutch cable snapped during ride to work this morning.  47,685 miles, 2015 model.

Sorry to hear that, You’ll get the updated cable when you replace it. 
47k miles is pretty good considering what other people have experienced...

-Skip

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

My clutch cable snapped during ride to work this morning.  47,685 miles, 2015 model.

Hope it didnt leave you stranded.  If that was the original cable then you did much better than others, some reporting failure well before reaching 10k.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

It was original cable.  I was within pushing distance of my office, so push I did.  

Anyone have anecdotal evidence of a similar issue with brake cable?  What’s reasonable lifespan for that?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

9 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

It was original cable.  I was within pushing distance of my office, so push I did.  

Anyone have anecdotal evidence of a similar issue with brake cable?  What’s reasonable lifespan for that?

Er no. But my brake has no cable. Don't forget to lube your clutch and throttle cables regularly a task many of us remain blissfully unaware of. I replaced my original clutch cable with an R1 cable as described in other threads on this site.

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, rustyshackles said:

The brake lines are completely different, they are hydraulic lines, no moving parts or maintenance needed (except routine fluid flush).  I recently replaced my brake lines with high pressure steel braided lines for better brake feel not because the lines were worn out.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 2

• 3 months later...

Thought my cable had gone the other day when the clutch lever didn't release fully as I was pulling away from lights.

Checked it out a little way down the road and everything was just stiff. Managed to get to and from work and then once home lathered the arm, spring and cable at the engine end in WD40 and then slackened off the handlebar adjuster and removed the cable from the lever end.

Slowly worked some three-in-one lubricating and penetrating oil down the inner, didn't have long as was due elsewhere. Re-fitted and transformed! Reminder to self - lube the clutch cable more often!!!!

• 1 month later...

Little pic of clutch cable for 15 model and new cable. I am sure this is stated before but OEM for 15 is 2PP-26335-01.  The updated clutch cable OEM is 2PP-26335-02.  My latest FJ is a 15 with 1600 miles on it. No problems with cables either now or the two FJ I have had before however figured might as well swap during corona lockdown.  As you can see in pic there is hug difference in shape.  Guessing there is a reason for that.  Cable install was easy and straightforward.  

B870CBC9-E55E-452D-BB98-6FEA3D82F2BC.jpeg

Edited by madsquabbles
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

Hey all, I just read this thread and went out to see if my '15 had the old or new cable. It's the old type. Squeezed the clutch to see if I could detect any friction and surprised that I could only get partial movement on the lever! Rode her last night without issue and now it seems the clutch is seized or something!?! Anyone else experience this? 

Hawk

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, hawk said:

Hey all, I just read this thread and went out to see if my '15 had the old or new cable. It's the old type. Squeezed the clutch to see if I could detect any friction and surprised that I could only get partial movement on the lever! Rode her last night without issue and now it seems the clutch is seized or something!?! Anyone else experience this? 

Hawk

Clutch Cable Part Number: 2PP-26335-02-00

• Supporting Member

Haha oh man I'm an idiot 

Lever was bringing up on the Oxford heater grip wire😅

Guess I accidentally twisted it up when I parked last night🤣

I will order a new cable though 

Thanks guys 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, hawk said: