Google Maps Navigation

maximo

Question on using Google Maps to navigate multi-point destination. When it comes to maps and routing, I’m old school, I put a map on the tank bag and navigate by dead reckoning. I recently tried using the Google Maps navigating function to stream the directions via my Sena bluethooth, but I ran into an issue that I can’t resolve. When I set up a route that includes multiple destinations, the Maps app requires the user to press “Continue”, which isn’t practical. I futzed around the settings but could not find anywhere that would bypass this step. 

Do any of you know how to work around this?

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I stopped using google maps a while ago, but from what I remember, if you simply ignore the “continue” prompt, it will automatically start navigating you to the second point, but only if it registered that you have gone through the first stop.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, maximo said:

I ran into an issue that I can’t resolve. When I set up a route that includes multiple destinations, the Maps app requires the user to press “Continue”, which isn’t practical. I futzed around the settings but could not find anywhere that would bypass this step. 

I use Google Maps all day, everyday for work, while it is fine for individual points, I dont like it for routing multiple destinations either. (to be fair, the faults could just be me)

For the bike, I just use a Garmin GPS, I can type in many destinations and then "start navigation".  If I need to make changes or stop navigating, the touch screen works with my gloves.

I wish I could offer more help

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 1/3/2019 at 5:42 AM, BBB said:

I stopped using google maps a while ago, but from what I remember, if you simply ignore the “continue” prompt, it will automatically start navigating you to the second point, but only if it registered that you have gone through the first stop.

That seems like the logical thing, but the way it's been functioning for me is that the default is "end trip", and you have to press "continue" in order for the map to go on to the next point. 

What do you use for multi point navigation? 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member

I started out using google on my phone for navigation, but the issue I had was the limited number of waypoints they allow. I couldn't do a full day riding, and it kept trying to route me places that weren't good motorcycle roads. In the end, I got the Garmin 390 gps. It was a game changer. If I'm going somewhere new, I might set all the waypoints, and just start riding, but mostly I pick a few points where I want to stop for lunch, breaks, etc, and ride the roads that are the most interesting to me. The Garmin keeps rerouting me to my waypoint, so I eventually end up where I wanted. Bonus that it also shows me how long to my destination. Plus it does stuff like show you the speed limit for the road you are on, and provide a way to find new roads (while not riding) to explore.

I didn't like the price, but honestly, it was well worth the money. It was about $550 USD on Amazon

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, maximo said:

What do you use for multi point navigation? 

TomTom Rider. Speed camera alerts are also a big factor for me. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 7:00 PM, Cruizin said:

A guy approached me offering to build us a forum member GPS phone app, that would show live tracks in one's profile or in their ride report thread.  We would have to grow the premium member base to pay for it though. 

Cruizin, I'd pay big app bucks for one that worked well and comprehensively. What I have been unable to find is one that does all the following: 1) doesn't require a separate device, 2) allows me to plan a route on the PC, and get it on my phone or tablet, 3) allows me to share it with others, 4) allows me to pause it when I stop for the day on a multi-day ride, 5) doesn't kill my battery in 37 minutes, and 6) shows me a real map view with instructions. Icing on the cake would be a provision for it to record my route when I am out exploring. Between Google Maps, a defunct Tom Tom, Rever and Co Pilot, all this functionality is there, but no one ever zipped it up into one package, which I find astounding. You tell your guy that Griskins would pay $50 US for his app w/o batting an eye.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, griskins said:

You tell your guy that Griskins would pay $50 US for his app w/o batting an eye.

As would I. 

14 hours ago, griskins said:

Cruizin, I'd pay big app bucks for one that worked well and comprehensively. What I have been unable to find is one that does all the following: 1) doesn't require a separate device, 2) allows me to plan a route on the PC, and get it on my phone or tablet, 3) allows me to share it with others, 4) allows me to pause it when I stop for the day on a multi-day ride, 5) doesn't kill my battery in 37 minutes, and 6) shows me a real map view with instructions. Icing on the cake would be a provision for it to record my route when I am out exploring. Between Google Maps, a defunct Tom Tom, Rever and Co Pilot, all this functionality is there, but no one ever zipped it up into one package, which I find astounding. You tell your guy that Griskins would pay $50 US for his app w/o batting an eye.

$50?  That may pay for him to begin the first 15 minutes of working on it.  

The initial cost would be in the thousands. 

Then, check this out.  Everytime apple or android makes a new update, Id have to pay to have him update the app.

Everytime this forum software made an new update (5-6 times a year) I would have to pay him to update the app. 

Everytime Google made a big browser update, Id have to pay him to update the app. 

Everytime Firefox made a big browser update, Id have to pay him to update the app. 

Everytime internet explorer made a big browser update yes, some actually still use that crap) Id have to pay him to update the app. 

Developers don't do any work or updates in the Hundreds of dollars, its always in the thousands, each time. 

Sorry, no app coming to this free forum. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 2

I'm in UK. If you plan trips, at home, I found Garmin is good. However, it has sent me up dead end roads, traffic alerts were useless, a motorway slip road had been closed for a week !  and it couldnt find a big bike dealership. I had to ring them for the postcode to get directions from Garmin. I opened Google maps as an exercise and found it straight away without the postcode. I use google maps for my ride outs, it works brilliantly hands free, through my senna, and finds even the smallest campsite, very quickly. It also provides the number So you can then ring them to find out if their open. Nice if your stopping your journey short because of rain. So I guess it's a combo of the two, but If I had only one device, a smartphone with google maps is my pick. Maybe Garmins better in other country's ?

On 2/2/2019 at 3:24 AM, Cruizin said:

$50?  That may pay for him to begin the first 15 minutes of working on it.  

The initial cost would be in the thousands. 

Then, check this out.  Everytime apple or android makes a new update, Id have to pay to have him update the app.

Everytime this forum software made an new update (5-6 times a year) I would have to pay him to update the app. 

Everytime Google made a big browser update, Id have to pay him to update the app. 

Everytime Firefox made a big browser update, Id have to pay him to update the app. 

Everytime internet explorer made a big browser update yes, some actually still use that crap) Id have to pay him to update the app. 

Developers don't do any work or updates in the Hundreds of dollars, its always in the thousands, each time. 

Sorry, no app coming to this free forum. 

How about getting Yamaha to make a special bike just for us ?  I've got some change down the back of the sofa ...

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the 80's and 90's we didn't have GPS. And for some reason those are the best riding memories I have. Maybe it's because there were less cars on the road. Maybe it's because I was young and alive and about to conquer the world.

But we got around pretty well and getting side tracked was part of the fun. Google maps works pretty well for me. 

• Thumbsup 6

Spot on Cruzin. As a youth I went round France (I'm in uk) on an a shagged out Kawasaki kh250 2 stroke, two up with camping gear, no map, a denim jacket and and trainers. Tell that to the GS riders and they'll cry. Poor loves.  Most of the time I just take myself off, see where I end up. But, stuck in Le Mans last year in hot weather, police closing the roads in the centre, ( they just shrug their shoulders when you ask for an alternative way) a quick hey google and maps let me escape and stopped me from going mental. Well a bit. 

• Thumbsup 2