Google Maps Navigation

maximo

On 2/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, griskins said:

Cruizin, I'd pay big app bucks for one that worked well and comprehensively. What I have been unable to find is one that does all the following: 1) doesn't require a separate device, 2) allows me to plan a route on the PC, and get it on my phone or tablet, 3) allows me to share it with others, 4) allows me to pause it when I stop for the day on a multi-day ride, 5) doesn't kill my battery in 37 minutes, and 6) shows me a real map view with instructions. Icing on the cake would be a provision for it to record my route when I am out exploring. Between Google Maps, a defunct Tom Tom, Rever and Co Pilot, all this functionality is there, but no one ever zipped it up into one package, which I find astounding. You tell your guy that Griskins would pay $50 US for his app w/o batting an eye.

If you google "Scenic Webapp" you will find, I think, all of those criteria items. I have had a mostly hate in my love/hate relationship with Garmin- especially basecamp. 

Scenic is motorcycle specific, and lets you design a route in Google maps and then transfer it as a one second cut and paste.  I have no patience for tech, and even I was able to climb a short learning curve with this thing.  The cottage industry developer that made it has a line of very brief videos to show you how to use it.  

Not perfect for some of the dirt/adv stuff that I do on my klr, but just fine for tar.  And its pretty cheap unless you need to upload the maps for many states

(hint- other forums have entire threads devoted to this app)

52 minutes ago, open1mind said:

If you google "Scenic Webapp" you will find, I think, all of those criteria items. I have had a mostly hate in my love/hate relationship with Garmin- especially basecamp. 

tyretotravel (www.tyretotravel.com) does this too. I have used it for years but now it has become a paid app.. bummer but understandable.

You create an route in googlemaps, import it into the app via the url and it converts into sygic, copilot, garmin, tomtom itinery files. Great for route planning at home!!

Edited by bugie

4 hours ago, open1mind said:

If you google "Scenic Webapp" you will find, I think, all of those criteria items.

I just looked this up and it appears to be linked with the iOS only app. I don't see an Android version.  Did I just miss it?  

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm posting this to an older threat that seems like a good place.  For all of you who like REVER and Buttler Maps but not sure about the $50 a year for the REVER Pro, here is a solution.  Cycle Gear, Revzilla and JP Cycles have a new program called RPM.  Cost is $60 a year (OK its really $59.99) and among a bunch of other stuff like Free 2 day shipping, discounts and cash back also includes a free REVER Pro subscription.  I've looked into REVER but wanted the Butler Maps but was hesitant to spend the money so now I have a little more incentive so looks like a good thing to me.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Good to know! I'm going to check out RPM because I need to get some gpx and other routing apps together for my new Samsung S21 6" 5 G & Garmin Zumo XT for anticipated tours next year.

All this tech likely won't enable all the fun I had in the 70s touring on my BSA and then my Matchless using paper maps but I had somewhat of a memory then...

• Thumbsup 2

On 2/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, Cruizin said:

Developers don't do any work or updates in the Hundreds of dollars, its always in the thousands, each time. 

:cough: :cough: Thousands would be just to read the specs...

A project like this costs hundreds of thousands if not millions... and I'm pretty sure it would need at least 1 or 2 years for a single developer to have just a prototye...

Just remember that companies like Garmin, TomTom, etc have hundreds of developers working on those!

Edited by Xstoff

On 1/2/2019 at 10:00 AM, maximo said:

Question on using Google Maps to navigate multi-point destination. When it comes to maps and routing, I’m old school, I put a map on the tank bag and navigate by dead reckoning. I recently tried using the Google Maps navigating function to stream the directions via my Sena bluethooth, but I ran into an issue that I can’t resolve. When I set up a route that includes multiple destinations, the Maps app requires the user to press “Continue”, which isn’t practical. I futzed around the settings but could not find anywhere that would bypass this step. 

Do any of you know how to work around this?

Yeah thats a common issue.... Google Maps works very well but that is a hangup.  there are a number of other apps that could work but all have downsides.  Here is OK but still very limited on routes,  Calimoto is a GREAT app for routing, has a great UI, and offline maps, BUT has no traffic info.  

I've yet to find anything that works as well as my old Garmin Nuvi + traffic data did.   But CaliMoto is the closest, but does have a subscription fee.   I still use Google Maps for most things though and just click continue. 

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I've yet to find anything that works as well as my old Garmin Nuvi + traffic data did

+1 to that

I do like Google Maps for the features (Saved, Want to Go, lists, sharing, etc) but fones can be super fiddly at a time when you just need simple (and durability).

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

My Nuvi 765T was great if very small, it also had an MP3 & JPEG player + traffic but the original and replacement batteries died and it wouldn't update the maps.

Cell phones are fragile and not waterproof, especially newer Apple units...

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yeah, I use my old phones for GPS duty. I wipe them clean to make sure all my stuff is gone, then make a new Google account to have access to the apps, but not to my stuff. That way if I lose the phone, or if someone takes it, I don't jeopardize my security. For connectivity I tether it to my active phone, which is safely in my pocket. 

• Thumbsup 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, maximo said:

Yeah, I use my old phones for GPS duty. I wipe them clean to make sure all my stuff is gone, then make a new Google account to have access to the apps, but not to my stuff. That way if I lose the phone, or if someone takes it, I don't jeopardize my security. For connectivity I tether it to my active phone, which is safely in my pocket. 

Smart, I have been trying to find a used but newer unlocked Kyocera mil-spec cell to do the same thing with...

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Most current phones are pretty near fully waterproof, and most are rain/splash proof.   They are delicate though, and their screens are really frustrating with some gloves. 

• Thumbsup 1