maximo

Google Maps Navigation

Question on using Google Maps to navigate multi-point destination. When it comes to maps and routing, I’m old school, I put a map on the tank bag and navigate by dead reckoning. I recently tried using the Google Maps navigating function to stream the directions via my Sena bluethooth, but I ran into an issue that I can’t resolve. When I set up a route that includes multiple destinations, the Maps app requires the user to press “Continue”, which isn’t practical. I futzed around the settings but could not find anywhere that would bypass this step. 

Do any of you know how to work around this?

I stopped using google maps a while ago, but from what I remember, if you simply ignore the “continue” prompt, it will automatically start navigating you to the second point, but only if it registered that you have gone through the first stop.

22 hours ago, maximo said:

I ran into an issue that I can’t resolve. When I set up a route that includes multiple destinations, the Maps app requires the user to press “Continue”, which isn’t practical. I futzed around the settings but could not find anywhere that would bypass this step. 

I use Google Maps all day, everyday for work, while it is fine for individual points, I dont like it for routing multiple destinations either. (to be fair, the faults could just be me)

For the bike, I just use a Garmin GPS, I can type in many destinations and then "start navigation".  If I need to make changes or stop navigating, the touch screen works with my gloves.

I wish I could offer more help

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/3/2019 at 5:42 AM, BBB said:

I stopped using google maps a while ago, but from what I remember, if you simply ignore the “continue” prompt, it will automatically start navigating you to the second point, but only if it registered that you have gone through the first stop.

That seems like the logical thing, but the way it's been functioning for me is that the default is "end trip", and you have to press "continue" in order for the map to go on to the next point. 

What do you use for multi point navigation? 

• Like 1

A guy approached me offering to build us a forum member GPS phone app, that would show live tracks in one's profile or in their ride report thread.  We would have to grow the premium member base to pay for it though. 

• Thumbsup 1

I started out using google on my phone for navigation, but the issue I had was the limited number of waypoints they allow. I couldn't do a full day riding, and it kept trying to route me places that weren't good motorcycle roads. In the end, I got the Garmin 390 gps. It was a game changer. If I'm going somewhere new, I might set all the waypoints, and just start riding, but mostly I pick a few points where I want to stop for lunch, breaks, etc, and ride the roads that are the most interesting to me. The Garmin keeps rerouting me to my waypoint, so I eventually end up where I wanted. Bonus that it also shows me how long to my destination. Plus it does stuff like show you the speed limit for the road you are on, and provide a way to find new roads (while not riding) to explore.

I didn't like the price, but honestly, it was well worth the money. It was about $550 USD on Amazon

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, maximo said:

What do you use for multi point navigation? 

TomTom Rider. Speed camera alerts are also a big factor for me. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1