Google Maps Navigation

maximo

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Smart, I have been trying to find a used but newer unlocked Kyocera mil-spec cell to do the same thing with...

I find that maps do well enough on older, underpowered phones. I download the maps onto the device, plug it into the cigarette lighter, and it works like a charm. I have several old phones laying around, so when one goes TU, I plug another one in.  I find that my every other year new phone habit is enough to feed this chain. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

LOL my iPhone Xs had the facial recognition quit after I had it in Florida, used it for a few minutes a couple of times while sitting in a hot tub.  It was a refurbished by Apple unit to replace mine a couple of years ago when I broke the glass back on mine.  I've heard that once iPhone is opened it is almost impossible to get it re-sealed like original.  

3 years ago on my first trip out west I used an old car GPS with the suction mount stuck to the inside of the windscreen.  Actually worked vey well.  However it was not waterproof.  Left Custer SD on my way to Grand Island Nebraska in a low pressure system which had rain and lots of wind!  GPS was out so I took a PostIt note and wrote down the highway number I was to turn on to and the name of a town or two just before the intersection.  That worked amazingly well although I had a tougher time once I got to Grand Island but was able to use my phone and listen to directions once there.  I did a very similar route this year but had my Zumo XT going, almost too easy.  I still like paper maps to plan from as they have more detail than computer maps.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, Cruizin said:

Back in the 80's and 90's we didn't have GPS. And for some reason those are the best riding memories I have. 

Maybe it's because I was young and alive and about to conquer the world.

But we got around pretty well and getting side tracked was part of the fun. 

Nothing like responding to a post from almost  3 years ago…. 

But, I couldn’t agree more.   I’ve built a fantastic career in tech, and continue to be amazed and excited at the pace of innovation.   At 56, I’m one of the older guys on my team, but I love learning from the insights and ideas of my young & visionary colleagues.   

But I ride to decompress:  My career is software, so my hobbies are mechanical.   The simplicity of just pointing in a general direction (“let’s see… Colorado is northwest of here, right?”) and finding a paper map at a mini-mart across the state line made my early days of riding some of my most memorable.  

I can’t remember 99.9% of the cell phone calls I’ve made, but I sure remember using an AT&T calling card at a gas station pay phone to check in back home at the end of a day of riding in Rockies.  :) 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I can’t remember 99.9% of the cell phone calls I’ve made, but I sure remember using an AT&T calling card at a gas station pay phone to check in back home at the end of a day of riding in Rockies.  :) 

A 10-10 card... you could get a rate as good as $0.06/min, after the first 10 minutes at $1/minute...  

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Im old school……still use paper maps…..carry maps for the areas I ride in.

Why…..

well I aint seen a computer or phone screen that is the same size as one of my maps. I can see all the roads  for where I live in California without scrolling or zooming out which does not show all the roads.

Never have to charge them or keep them on a charger.

They always work anywhere or anytime. 

I was a local hangout up the hills and a lady comes over to ask directions to a park. Her cell phone could not load maps. 

Pulled my paper map out, showed her the route. The map paper provide her with a good idea about distance……which is very hard to do on the phone.

Then I mentioned that paper maps work anywhere at anytime….she just grinned.

I do use google maps for mileage and time estimates, but out riding….its paper maps.

Wondet how many remember Thomas Guide map books…

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 2

On 10/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, duckie said:

Never have to charge them or keep them on a charger.

They always work anywhere or anytime. 

Thats whey I always have one with me.  Haven ride some roads that almost would not show up on a phone but were in great condition.  Seems like sometimes navigation systems are trying to point up to the points of most popular congestion 🙂