Yamaha Soft Bags Installed

I received my soft bags and mounts, and here are some pictures of them getting installed. I didn't do a full how to, so I'm posting it here instead :)

Too early to do a review, because I haven't ridden with them, but I thought you'd like a look anyway. 

The mounts are fairly discrete when not in use, and the bags expand to 21L each (as you can see in the pics). 

For you Canadian's out there, this is what you get free if you were part of the free soft bag promo. For everyone else, these are what you can buy from Yamaha, but I think there's another vendor that makes them and you can buy from them too for about $50 less. The link for those is on this site somewhere, just can't find it. 

OA79DXK.jpg

pTC2qwI.jpg
Sk91vOo.jpg
gdaXWNZ.jpg
4DJlKy0.jpg
QN410FQ.jpg
vjUV3ts.jpg

I received my soft bags and mounts, and here are some pictures of them getting installed. I didn't do a full how to, so I'm posting it here instead :) 

Sk91vOo.jpg
gdaXWNZ.jpg

Good pics, thanks.
I see the stays attach to the passenger peg carriers. That's good, I'll probably take the whole carrier-peg-stay off when I'm not on trips. Might need to get 1 (or 2?) shorter bolt(s) for attaching the rear brake master cylinder, or some washers...

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Quick update that I forgot to mention in my first post. When attaching the plastic mount piece to the metal arm, be careful not to over tighten. It doesn't take much effort for the bolt to eat right through the plastic if you're not careful. Stick to the torque requirements in the manual.

Is there a US vendor for these or am I just going to have to wait for sw-motech to release their version?
They are available on the Yamaha Canada website, I would think if they are available in the US, you'd have to buy them from a Yamaha dealer.  
Otherwise, yup, wait for the sw-motech version. It's exactly the same product, but with a red interior (Yamaha's are black).

Yamaha Canada sells the bags for $299 CAD and the mounts for $150 CAD. The sw-motech bags are $360 USD with the mounts. For us Canadians, the price works out to the same after the exchange rate.

*Update* just checked the US Yamaha site. They don't carry these bags. They have these ones instead:
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/soft-saddlebags-by-nelson-rigg?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|235&dealernumber=

If you want the ones I have, maybe you can find a Canadian dealer who will ship them to you? :)

Is there a US vendor for these or am I just going to have to wait for sw-motech to release their version?
I got in on the free promotional bags too, but I only want the stays (I'll use my current RKA bags.)

I'm willing to sell the bags only, for less than half retail price, + shipping. Once I receive them, I'll list them in the Forum->Classified->Parts-For-Sale section.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Interesting... Doing some internet detective work it looks like a UK website sells the soft bags for the MT-09 tracer BUT the same bags also fit the MT07 (http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mt-07-09-soft-side-bags.html).
The MT07 (uk) is the same as the FZ07 (us/Canada). sw-motech has the bags available for the FZ07...? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-bags-connection-blaze-sport-saddlebags-for-yamaha-fz-07-14-15
Looks like a phone call is in order

Interesting... Doing some internet detective work it looks like a UK website sells the soft bags for the MT-09 tracer BUT the same bags also fit the MT07 (http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mt-07-09-soft-side-bags.html). The MT07 (uk) is the same as the FZ07 (us/Canada). sw-motech has the bags available for the FZ07...? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-bags-connection-blaze-sport-saddlebags-for-yamaha-fz-07-14-15
Looks like a phone call is in order
Bags are the same, but be careful with the mounts.  They are sold separately by Yamaha Canada. Sw-motech sells them as a package, so the FZ versions would not come with the mounts that work on the FJ. The Yamaha Canada accessory page for the soft bags shows all the different mount part numbers that are available.  
Also, fun fact, the installation manual said MT-09 Tracer (same as my heated grips). So Yamaha Canada is sourcing European parts for their Canadian bikes. No difference besides model number, but kind of interesting to know. 

I got in on the free promotional bags too, but I only want the stays (I'll use my current RKA bags.) 
I'm willing to sell the bags only, for less than half retail price, + shipping. Once I receive them, I'll list them in the Forum->Classified->Parts-For-Sale section.

What do you like about the RKA bags over the Yamaha ones?  
Doesn't really matter to me since the Yamaha ones work fine for my purposes, so this is just pure curiosity :)

Doesn't really matter to me since the Yamaha ones work fine for my purposes, so this is just pure curiosity :)

I haven't seen the Yamahas in person yet, but what I like about the RKA:
- hard backing inside on top, back, bottom and front (for expansion too.)- extremely well constructed.- simple, functional instead stylish.- ..... and I already own them. ;)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I haven't seen the Yamahas in person yet, but what I like about the RKA:
- hard backing inside on top, back, bottom and front (for expansion too.)- extremely well constructed.- simple, functional instead stylish.- ..... and I already own them. ;)

Thanks! I get the feeling they are comparable bags in terms of fit and finish.  
I would call the Yamaha's semi-rigid. Also well constructed. They are simple and stylish, but the only thing I'm not sure about yet in terms of function is the size of the opening. Being top loading has it's positives, but it has it's negatives as well as it's not a very large opening. It's probably partly on purpose because if it's too big to fit through the hole it's probably too heavy to be going in there anyway... It demands smart packing if you're doing a trip, because if you need quick access to something at the bottom of the bag, it's going to be annoying. That said, if you're going on a trip with your motorcycle and you're not packing smart, then you're the opposite of smart :D

I also like that the Yamaha's come with two removable dry bag liners if you want to waterproof the contents. That's a nice touch. I think most soft bags come with some sort of waterproof accessory though.

• Premium Member
I have moved the off topic posts about the Motorcycle Grand Prix of the Americas to a new thread in the Fireside

wessie
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived