Considering FJ to replace FJR

fjorfjr

New member whos been lurking here for a while. I appreciate all the info on the FJ here. Currently own a 09 FJR and love it but have been looking for something with less weight. I was considering the BMW F800GT but after 3 years of riding the FJR was concerned the BMW might be too under-powered. That's when the FJ09 came out and honestly it looks damn close to exactly what I'm looking for.

My wife doesn't ride with me on longer trips but still likes to be on the bike for local rides and I was wondering about passenger comfort. The passenger pegs look like they're mounted pretty high. My wife is fairly inseam-challenged but still doesn't look like much leg room. Any comments from anyone who's SO rides on the back with them?

Thanks in advance,

• 1 year later...
Guest bruinfj09guy
I've been on the FJ-09 for about a year now (a daily rider) and opted for this bike over the FJR. I frequently question whether I made the right choice and I am actually currently looking at picking up a GenI or a GenII FJR at a low price, in order to get some more seat time and make a decision as to which one I want or it if is useful to have both.

What I like about the FJ-09:
-It is a very flickable and fun bike. It is a ton of fun in the canyons. The grunty triple is pretty bad-ass sounding and the power-to-weight ration is apparently where the muscle comes from.
-It looks pretty sharp. The lines are modern and it has that space transformer look. I hated the look of this bike the first time I saw it, but after a couple visits to the dealer and an eventual temptation into a test ride I was sold on the thrill and cool factor.
-I like the modes, the ABS, and the TCS. I'm not sure if your 2009 FJR has all of that or not. The TCS is a very nice feature--if you turn it off, this thing will power-wheelie nicely in first, with minimal effort in second, and there have been stories of doing it in third.
-The weight. It is a nice, light, and nimble bike.
-It is a new and flashy design. It's a very modern looking bike. The FJR and the FZ1 have been virtually unchanged for now 10 years; I like that the FJ-09 is an eye-catcher, as there aren't many other bikes too similar.

What I hate about my FJ-09:
-Wind protection/wind noise/buffeting/turbulent wind noise is a notorious problem on the FJ-09. The stock aerodynamics suck. This bike is very loud at freeway speeds. I use earplugs, which muffle the swishyness and allow me to hear the grunt of the triple a little better. I've bought the Ermax Sport, as it is frequently hot here. I was hoping it would make the ride a little quieter. The wind noise is not much better. I'm now considering the National VStream tall, for cooler weather and long rides, both to block out some wind and to quiet things down a bit. I can't imagine the FJ-09 would make for a particularly pleasant ride for your passenger, but I could be wrong. Maybe the air is cleaner up there.
-The grunty triple, while invigorating in canyon runs and audible to traffic absent an aftermarket exhaust, is not a pleasant motor to listen to for long touring-type rides, IMO. Your mileage may vary.
-The paniers aren't included. To me this is the biggest drawback and almost caused me to not buy the bike. They are an extra grand. I bought a nice set of Tourmaster Elite bags, side and seat-top, that do me nicely. They were a little shy of $400, and I actually kind of preferred their look at the time, and justified the purchase by the fact that I could burn through two sets of these bags and still have spent less than the paniers.
-The weight and the advanced technology in the triple were enough to sway me to downsize from my Gen1 FZ1. But there is a noticeable lack of raw power with this smaller engine (I'm not talking specific measurements here; it just seems like the 850 has to work a lot harder than the liter, and it probably should as it is 150cc and 1 cylinder smaller). I've heard good things about a flashed Gen2 FZ1, and I've frequently wondered if I should have went that route, just as I am still obsessed with the FJR. 
-I paid for this power and technology, and Yamaha has gone ahead and governed the thing to 114. I've reached 114 only a couple of times (on a track, of course ;) ), and only to feel the governor kick in. But I don't like that they did it.
-The seats suck. I don't ride two up. In fact, I don't think anyone has ever ridden on the back of my bike. But I don't imagine it would be a very comfortable ride back there. A Corbin surely would help, and is almost a necessity for the rider for any trips lasting more than a couple of hours. I've done San Francisco to LA a couple times on my FJ-09; once with just the stock seat, which was most unpleasant, and once with a cheap gel-type pad from Cycle Gear. The second trip was better, but not by much.

Take-away:
-I've considered putting away any buyer's remorse and unloading my wallet on a Corbin seat, another windscreen, a flash/fuel map to get even more out of the motor and to remove the governing, and a set of factory paniers. That would all cost about $2k, and most of those problems would be solved had I bought the FJR. I could easily do another G or so on engine guard, sliders, other accessories, but I'm just not that in love with this bike. Oh ya, and the FJ-09 doesn't have cruise control; there's another $300 or so in an aftermarket setup that detracts from the aesthetics IMO. I don't know if there is a factory add-on yet. The FJR I considered had heated grips; I don't know if they are standard now or not, but they are for sure another $400 or so add-on on the FJ-09.
-The FJ-09 is great for me in some respects. I like that it is filter-able in traffic, although I had to remove the handguards as this thing is a full 3' with them on. I believe the FJR is 29"; approx. 1" shorter than the FJ-09 with the guards removed. I do really enjoy it in the canyons.
-But the FJ-09 lacks a lot of what I want in other areas; namely, comfort. It is just not an ideal sport-tourer. I am hesitant to undertake an FJR for my daily commute filtering in traffic, but I'm pretty sure it would be a more enjoyable all around ride. I've pretty much put away the idea of an FZ1 now, especially since it looks like it is discontinued. Maybe the North American version of the MT-10 will be something I like. 

In the end, I'd probably like to have both. I'm currently looking at a very clean 2005 FJR to compliment my FJ-09. But 2005 is an older bike. I suppose I kind of wish I had a nice shiny new FJR. But I'm not really willing to take that much of a bath on my 2015 FJ-09 just yet only to suffer new-bike-depreciation on an FJR. Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll just detail up the FJ-09, maybe even splurge on the Corbin, and see how I feel about things then. But I suspect I'd still be contemplating the FJR. :) In my opinion, you aren't looking at much of an upgrade if you drop the FJR for the FJ-09, and you might just outright regret the decision. 

The ideal for me is to have both, and then see which one ends up getting more use. I know which one I'd ride tomorrow, anyway.

Guest bruinfj09guy
One last thing re: the pegs. I have jumped up on the rear seat when the bike was on the center stand, just to scope out comfort. I do think they are a little high. Also, the rider pegs are also kind of chinsy, IMO. I liked the meatier ones on my FZ1 and that are on the FJR. It's a small thing, but yet another small thing.

Thanks for the honest comments on the FJ-09. While I still think it's one of the best bang-for-the-buck bikes around I had some of the same concerns that you're living with. Was concerned about the wind protection and always wondered about how the wind screen had to be sculpted to fit the hand guards. And while the lower weight was one of the positives relative to my FJR it was so light I wondered how the bike would do on longer trips. I also have always lusted for real cruise control.

Anyway back in November I went completely crazy and forked-over twice again what I've ever spent on a bike and purchased the new BMW R1200RS. Never in my life did I think I'd spend that much on a toy but at 62 I decided if I was ever going to buy a no-compromise bike I better get busy doing it. Despite the cost there's absolutely zero buyers remorse!!! It's everything I've ever wanted in bike. It's 120 Lbs lighter than the FJR (60 Lbs heavier than the FJ-09) but feels 220 Lbs lighter. The brakes and suspension (I have the dynamic ESA) are top shelf. The flat twin is a superb engine with tons of torque everywhere and still has a 9K redline. And the factory cruise control is heaven.

It's the first bike I've ever owned where I don't feel a need to modify, farkle and adjust. I'm anxious for my first couple of longer trips between now and June.

In regards to the FJR it's a great bike for long distance but I've realized even more with the RS how heavy a beast it is. The wind protection is great and the electrically-adjusted windscreen has to be one of the best around. One caution about the 2005 you're considering. I've never ridden that model but when researching for my purchase I read that the pre-2007 models put a lot  of engine heat onto the rider. From 07 on they did some things to mitigate that. I never had an issue with my  2009. Good luck and thanks for the great post.

Good luck 

The FJ is a baby FJR or a slightly larger FZ-09 and everything that comes with that. I don't get how people can say a bike that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds lacks power. There's only a handful of super bikes that are faster. The FJ has a better power to weight ratio than the FJR. If you keep the revs under 5000 and drive it like a cruiser, you aren't utilizing the power at all.

The FJR is a great bike, especially for long tours. The added weight, better wind management and better aerodynamics make highway driving more comfortable than the FJ. Also, the FJR can carry more weight. Something to consider if you are going to do a lot of 2up. Once you get to the canyons, or city, or anything but a 4 lane highway I think the FJ starts to outshine the FJR. Lighter weight and sport geometry means it handles well on curves roads. Very flickable and fun. The acceleration is faster than an FJR at any legal speeds.

While the FJ can hold its own on a track, especially if you get the speed limiter removed, there are other bike that are much better suited for the track.

All this comes down to is make sure you buy the bike that is well suited for most of the driving you will do. For example, if you are going to slab ride once every 2 years, why compromise 99% of your riding for that when the FJ can do it, and do a decent job of it? The FJ is an all rounder which means it has to make some compromises. For me, they chose the right compromises for the type of riding I do most.

• Premium Member
All this comes down to is make sure you buy the bike that is well suited for most of the driving you will do. For example, if you are going to slab ride once every 2 years, why compromise 99% of your riding for that when the FJ can do it, and do a decent job of it? The FJ is an all rounder which means it has to make some compromises. For me, they chose the right compromises for the type of riding I do most.
Exactly. My research into the FJR is what lead me to the FJ09. Once I realized that my wife wasn't going to go on many (any?) trips with me, then the FJR lost its advantage. Went FJ09 and haven't looked back!  

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Proud owner of a FZ09 here and I've been thinking of getting something a bit more touring oriented since I sold the FZ6R last summer (setup with hardcase and the whole touring shabang). The FJ09 seems to be a smart choice but after doing some digging and remembering how much of a PITA it was to sort it out. Suspension, flash ECU, now wind noise seems to be an issue on the FJ... not quite sure I want to spend $10K and have to come up with another $3K in update and luggage. 

I went to sit on a FJ09 last weekend, nice bike for sure. Ergo would need some work for me and seat is not a big notch better than the FZ09. The Super Tenerer is quite much more $$$ but felt much better to me but again, the one on the floor was a 15 a bit over $13K... that was the electronic suspension one. That was a bit more $$$ for a lot more bike if you are into the S-10. Now on the other end if you are like me, no need to pull 3rd gear wheely on long weekend ride 2up the Versys 650LT come very well loaded for about the price of a FZ09! Power is about FZ6R grade with a bit more torque (69HP/47Ft.Lb). Comes with ABS, side cases, killer ergo, remote rear preload adjuster, +50 MPG with a 5.5 gals fuel tank! All I can think of adding is a Top case and a Scott Oiler and this bike is about ready to go... 

• Premium Member
Thanks for the honest comments on the FJ-09. While I still think it's one of the best bang-for-the-buck bikes around I had some of the same concerns that you're living with. Was concerned about the wind protection and always wondered about how the wind screen had to be sculpted to fit the hand guards. And while the lower weight was one of the positives relative to my FJR it was so light I wondered how the bike would do on longer trips. I also have always lusted for real cruise control. 
Anyway back in November I went completely crazy and forked-over twice again what I've ever spent on a bike and purchased the new BMW R1200RS. Never in my life did I think I'd spend that much on a toy but at 62 I decided if I was ever going to buy a no-compromise bike I better get busy doing it. Despite the cost there's absolutely zero buyers remorse!!! It's everything I've ever wanted in bike. It's 120 Lbs lighter than the FJR (60 Lbs heavier than the FJ-09) but feels 220 Lbs lighter. The brakes and suspension (I have the dynamic ESA) are top shelf. The flat twin is a superb engine with tons of torque everywhere and still has a 9K redline. And the factory cruise control is heaven.

It's the first bike I've ever owned where I don't feel a need to modify, farkle and adjust. I'm anxious for my first couple of longer trips between now and June.

In regards to the FJR it's a great bike for long distance but I've realized even more with the RS how heavy a beast it is. The wind protection is great and the electrically-adjusted windscreen has to be one of the best around. One caution about the 2005 you're considering. I've never ridden that model but when researching for my purchase I read that the pre-2007 models put a lot  of engine heat onto the rider. From 07 on they did some things to mitigate that. I never had an issue with my  2009. Good luck and thanks for the great post.

Good luck 
Good on ya' @fjorfjr! I've heard wonderful things about the new R1200RS! Many riders have chosen that bike over the GS and S1000XR! At 62, you deserve to treat yourself with WHATEVER you want to ride!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

The FJR would be a better long distance bike tbh, it just depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you do a lot of 1000+ mile rides then stick with the FJR, if you do day or weekend trips (and the occasional long journey) then the FJ is great. It's a very eager bike, so acceleration and turn in are very quick. Good for having fun but can be a bit twitchy if you're tired and just trying to get where you are going.

I'm not saying it's not a great sport touring bike, it is, but it leans heavily on the sport side. I have solved the wind issue for me with an Ermax touring screen and additional wind deflector. No buffeting and very quiet except in headwinds. Its got enough weight to do slab on, Ive ridden in storms with 60mph gusts and was fine. People do long treks on KLRs all the time which would be far less confortable.

As far as panniers, I found a set of FJR bags off a 2014. They matched my red paint and cost me only $275 plus $70 for the OEM mounts off eBay. So not coming with them stock was not a problem to me.

Edit: It's okay as a pillion bike, depending on your weights you may need a new shock/spring. You won't have as much room as the FJR either so keep that in mind, but the seat is comfortable.

Guest bruinfj09guy
. . . purchased the new BMW R1200RS. 
Congrats! I didn't realize I had necro'd a year old thread! haha. Didn't spot the "2015." 
Anyhow, nice job. Now my long rambling post is eternalized for all others contemplating the decision.  :P

No problem - I've enjoyed the conversation. You just pointed out the dilemma for a lot of us. If you can only have one bike how to balance the sometimes opposing goals of long-distance comfort versus a bike that's a hoot to ride locally. I think I solved that with the RS though I had to throw the checkbook at it. If I was having to decide on the FJ versus the FJR again I would go with the smaller more "spirited" bike. As much as I imagine myself taking off for months at a time to travel the country work and all the other obligations keep me local or regional 90% of the time - unfortunately.

Will travel from GA in a couple of months up the Blue Ridge Parkway thru NC and VA then thru WV on my way to Ohio on the new ride. I'm more than ready to spend some time on the new bike.

Good luck on the 2nd bike.

And thanks to Clint for the post - made me smile. Since I'm a pretty damn healthy 62 maybe I'll start looking seriously at that 1299 Panigale!!

• 1 month later...
Guest bruinfj09guy
The FJ is a baby FJR or a slightly larger FZ-09 and everything that comes with that. I don't get how people can say a bike that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds lacks power. There's only a handful of super bikes that are faster. The FJ has a better power to weight ratio than the FJR. If you keep the revs under 5000 and drive it like a cruiser, you aren't utilizing the power at all. 
The FJR is a great bike, especially for long tours. The added weight, better wind management and better aerodynamics make highway driving more comfortable than the FJ. Also, the FJR can carry more weight. Something to consider if you are going to do a lot of 2up. Once you get to the canyons, or city, or anything but a 4 lane highway I think the FJ starts to outshine the FJR. Lighter weight and sport geometry means it handles well on curves roads. Very flickable and fun. The acceleration is faster than an FJR at any legal speeds.

OP bought his bike, so the added info isn't necessarily for him. I see the posts are now all old again but I thought I'd address a point or two.

The FJ-09 "lacks power" in the same way a Ferrari lacks power relative to a 747. Obviously those are inflated extremes of an example, but the raw brute strength just isn't the same in the 850 as the 1300 or even a 1000 (i.e. FZ1). The low end torque on the FJ ("usable power") is superior to the FJR, and the power to weight ratio is better (with one rider). The FJR (and FZ1) will wind out with less effort than an FJ-09 either 1-up or 2.

I compared the FJ-09 relative to an FJR as the OP was discussing riding 2 up on short trips. I'd say the FJR outshines the FJ for 2-up short trips whether in the canyons or on the freeways. A rider, I would hope, isn't going to bang through a corner at excessive speed on either bike 2-up. City driving is a little different and with traffic maybe the light weight would be preferable. The rider is going to be taking it easier in any case and both rider and passenger will be more comfortable on the FJR and that bike will manage better 2 up in most situations.

Also, having spent a bit of time the past few weeks comparing both bikes in the canyons, if the FJ-09 has the FJR beat it's not by a large margin. The FJR is a big girl, but she can work pretty hard through and out of a corner. :)

Guest bruinfj09guy
... One caution about the 2005 you're considering. I've never ridden that model but when researching for my purchase I read that the pre-2007 models put a lot  of engine heat onto the rider. From 07 on they did some things to mitigate that. I never had an issue with my  2009. Good luck and thanks for the great post.

25k miles in SoCal since I picked up my used 05. Still wondering what they mean by heat issues.
You probably just ride fast enough that heat build up isn't an issue.  8-)  

I missed out on that '05, but it's ok. While it seemed well maintained, it was getting up there in miles. As you can probably tell by my avatar, I wound up buying an '08. I did look at a '15 yesterday at the dealer, though. I'd have to sell both bikes to make that happen, so I think I'll just stick with the '08 for now and enjoy both. 

Archived