OEM Hardbag problem

So the latching mechanism on my 2015 Hardbags broke. Not the key or handle but the mechanism that moves to allow the bag to open or latched closed. The dealer has contacted Yamaha and the response was they could not fix it. Has anyone has any similar issue or lead me in a good direction? I would buy the whole handle/latch and replace it if it was available, but apparently its not.

thanks for any help. I do have pics but its pretty hard to see.

That really sucks. A quick search over at the FJR Owners forum - where they have a lot more experience with these bags - only found that the locking mechanism was not available separately and a new inner bag was needed. 

• Supporting Member

When I took delivery of my 19 Tracer GT,  the left hard bag cover had a crack in it. the dealer kept the bag and tried to order a new cover for it, none existed painted in black at the time. So they ordered an unpainted cover and had it painted and installed. I picked the bag up and put it in the closet for storage. A few weeks later I go to mount the bag on the bike and the cover has a 5-inch crack in it (same place). I took the bag back up to the dealer to show them and they opened it and the cover sprung open like a spring. The lid was being held too tight and with uneven pressure by the latches. Yamaha had them replace the whole bag this time as there is no way to adjust the latch pressure.  The latch mechanism was bad from the factory.  Sorry to say it looks like the fix is going to be expensive.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

6 hours ago, brewhaha said:

So the latching mechanism on my 2015 Hardbags broke. The dealer has contacted Yamaha and the response was they could not fix it.

That's totally unacceptable for a set of bags that cost $1,000. Yamaha BAD!

I'm not impressed with 2016 FJ hard bags. They are difficult to lock and unlock and the sliding bar that locks them to the mounts gets dirty and sticks.

Compared to the bags on my 2003 Honda ST, they are rather crude and kludgy.

I'll  make a note not to overstuff them and stress the closing mechanisms.

Thanks for posting,

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I purchased a set of Tracer bags from a forum member a while back. One bag damaged and one in good shape. I had a set of FJR bags in the same condition with alternate good and bad bags. I tried to repair to no avail. The bags are glued together and separating the front and back of the bag involved its destruction. My FJR damaged bag was only the tongue that locked it into place and a broken hook. (My son ran into me on my FJR at stop sign/merge. I stopped and he didn't. He was looking left while riding my VFR. This was years ago.) I wound up removing the lids and riveting FJR lids to one good set. Now I have a set of Tracer and FJR bags.

I believe I do have some pictures I can post if there is interest. Otherwise from my research on the FJR forum and personal experience, the bags are poorly designed when it comes to repairing damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived