Yamaha Hard City Cases fitted

• Premium Member
I have fitted my FJR bags on my 09 and yes, they were VERY snug. Too snug in my opinion. To the point that I was concerned about damage. They were very hard to remove. They are very easy ro temove from the FJR. I shimmed the mounting brackets with 3 washers on each bolt. MUCH easier to mount and dismount. Gonna buy 4 longer bolts and add 1 more washer each and see how it goes. Thought it was just my bike, but apparently not. Wouldn't put too much pressure on the bag tangs as they could fail. $$$$$$ Pretty sure Mama Yama doesn't sell the backs separate. Ride safe!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

I have fitted my FJR bags on my 09 and yes, they were VERY snug. Too snug in my opinion. To the point that I was concerned about damage. They were very hard to remove. They are very easy ro temove from the FJR. I shimmed the mounting brackets with 3 washers on each bolt. MUCH easier to mount and dismount. Gonna buy 4 longer bolts and add 1 more washer each and see how it goes. Thought it was just my bike, but apparently not. Wouldn't put too much pressure on the bag tangs as they could fail. $$$$$$ Pretty sure Mama Yama doesn't sell the backs separate. Ride safe!
I like the firmness, other than the removal process, and I wish they fit tighter on the FJR.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Redfjniner,
Mine weren't just snug, they were tight. Installed everything according to instructions and realized I had a problem. Your right, they could be a bit more snug on the FEEJER, but on the 09, the bags were a bear to get off and I needed to pretty much force them on. Not sure why it was that way on my bike but the shimming solved my particular problem. Weather is supposed to be decent tommorow, so gonna terrorize the countryside. Hope you can do the same.
Mike in Rocklin.
Man, I love the FJ! Poor FJR is on the tender.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• Premium Member
Redfjniner, Mine weren't just snug, they were tight. Installed everything according to instructions and realized I had a problem. Your right, they could be a bit more snug on the FEEJER, but on the 09, the bags were a bear to get off and I needed to pretty much force them on. Not sure why it was that way on my bike but the shimming solved my particular problem. Weather is supposed to be decent tommorow, so gonna terrorize the countryside. Hope you can do the same.
Mike in Rocklin.
Man, I love the FJ! Poor FJR is on the tender.
Don't forget, the rubber bumpers have a top and bottom as it's slightly tapered. Wider part is on the bottom.

IMG_0367.JPG
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Yep. Got em on proper. Eveything, including the Ventura rack system is dialed. Ready to run the Haul Road!
Why don't you post some pics of the bike all kited out. Am especially interested in the Ventura luggage as thats how I'm going. 

• Premium Member
I Will get off my tail tomorrow and work on posting pictures. Have run the Ventura system on other bikes and like it. Have the Mistral pack and can easily go a week on the road with just that kit. Have the grab bar for regular use. L brackets are not bad looking mounted but I prefer function over form. The system is not inexpensive but with panniers you can haul as much junk as you want.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

An observation from those of use using the hard bags from Yamaha, either the FJ specific bags or the repurposed FJR bags. If you simply install the lower mounting bracket for those cases they will go on and come off with some considerable effort. Nothing like the smooth on/off installtion on the FJR. The issue is the top mounting bracket position. You will notice that from behind the bags appear to be slightly tipped in at the top.

If you are not going to install the factory rear tray on your FJ I would encourage you to procure a supply of washers or make a bushing out of delrin plastic or metal. Remove the upper bag mounts on your bike and space out the bag mount with your choice of "bushing". The bushings that came with the factory rear rack are just about 3/8" thick and the mounting flange adds another 1/8" or so. I will measure mine and give you an exact width of the bushing and mounting plate. You may need to procure replacement bolts as well to accomodate for the increased width. When shimmed out the factory bags go on and come off with no extra forcing required, as smooth as they work on my FJR.

Added clarification: I measured the spacers and my rack mount. The spacers themselves are 1/2" thick and 3/4" in diameter. The rack mount adds another 3/32" to the thickness. I think you can safely just go with a stack of washers in the 1/2" thick range you would be golden.

• Premium Member
An observation from those of use using the hard bags from Yamaha, either the FJ specific bags or the repurposed FJR bags. If you simply install the lower mounting bracket for those cases they will go on and come off with some considerable effort. Nothing like the smooth on/off installtion on the FJR. The issue is the top mounting bracket position. You will notice that from behind the bags appear to be slightly tipped in at the top. 
If you are not going to install the factory rear tray on your FJ I would encourage you to procure a supply of washers or make a bushing out of delrin plastic or metal. Remove the upper bag mounts on your bike and space out the bag mount with your choice of "bushing". The bushings that came with the factory rear rack are just about 3/8" thick and the mounting flange adds another 1/8" or so. I will measure mine and give you an exact width of the bushing and mounting plate. You may need to procure replacement bolts as well to accomodate for the increased width. When shimmed out the factory bags go on and come off with no extra forcing required, as smooth as they work on my FJR.

I agree. When I first installed my Yamaha side cases they were very tight fitting, to the point of being difficult. I after installing the yammie top rack they go on and off like butter.

• Premium Member
I agree. When I first installed my Yamaha side cases they were very tight fitting, to the point of being difficult. I after installing the yammie top rack they go on and off like butter.
Exactly my experience.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived