Disapointed...

Well, after 2 days of reading and search on this forum, i'am a little disapointed about the FJ09. 

My Yamaha dealer have a leftover 2017, for $9500CAD, and i was realy interest about this bike.  But, after read about lot of valves problems, CCT problems, oil leak, i'am no more confident about my choice. 

And more, i was thinking that the FJ had the agressive punch of the FZ/XSR900.  But as i can see, it is a tame down version of this CP3 engine. 

Maybe i will consider my other choice, the Tiger 800 or the new F850GS. 

If you spend the time looking, you're going to find horror stories about every vehicle made. I'm sure there are similar stories on the Tiger 800 or the F850 if you look for them. Have you ever spent time over at TacomaWorld?!?! 😲

I left the BMW world of bikes to buy the FJ09 and a friend has a Triumph triple - I don't regret my decision at all. 

• Thumbsup 2

23 hours ago, Davidbob said:

Well, after 2 days of reading and search on this forum, i'am a little disapointed about the FJ09. 

My Yamaha dealer have a leftover 2017, for $9500CAD, and i was realy interest about this bike.  But, after read about lot of valves problems, CCT problems, oil leak, i'am no more confident about my choice. 

And more, i was thinking that the FJ had the agressive punch of the FZ/XSR900.  But as i can see, it is a tame down version of this CP3 engine. 

Maybe i will consider my other choice, the Tiger 800 or the new F850GS. 

Hmm I don't know what you've been reading but let me add my view.

As far as I'm aware there is one, perhaps two people on this board who have reported valve/head problems with a less than clear picture as to the cause.  There are more than 5000 members on this forum so that makes 0.04% who have not reported a problem.

The CCT "problem" has been overinflated by a number of owners insisting on replacing fully functioning CCTs.  That's not to say there haven't been problems with CCTs.  However if you trawl the forums of many other bikes including Hondas, Suzukis, Kawazakis etc you will find hundreds (even thousands) of posts regarding problematic CCTs.  This is not an issue unique to the CP3 engine.

As regards oil leaks, I must admit I can't recall reading many if any posts about those.  It simply isn't a problem as far as I can tell.  A few people have cracked their sumps riding over poor surfaces but the vast majority have had no problems.

The CP3 engine is the same in all three bikes providing 87Nm of torque and 115HP.   The FJ engine is not tamed down as you put it.

I'm guessing in your trawl of the forums you missed all the posts from the satisfied owners and all the long-term reports in the motorcycling press that have stripped down CP3 engines after 50000 km and found them to be in perfect condition.

If you think you'll have more fun or better reliability on the Tiger or BMW you're deluding yourself.  I know because I researched both those bikes thoroughly before buying the Tracer.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kmev said:

If you spend the time looking, you're going to find horror stories about every vehicle made.

I can understand the OP's 'worries', but also support 100% what kmev has said.   I'm now on my fourth (4th) Tracer (MT-09/ FJ-09) after a lifetime of BMWs (Roadsters, GSs, 1 x F800 GT) plus some other brands, including 2 x Triumphs.   Sure, the Tracer is not perfect - but what man-made machine is - yet across those four bikes I've not had a single issue. 

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

For reference, a quick google search's first result was a forum post with 137 pages of Tiger 800 problems: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tiger-800-problems-for-reference-only-please.782993/

That same forum has this on the F850: https://advrider.com/bmw-have-a-major-problem-with-the-f-850-gs-and-recall-exactly-one-bike/

These were the result of exactly two seconds of searching. 

• Supporting Member

I'm not going to defend the FJ/Tracer as you seem to have already determined that the bike is a disappointment.

Have you read other motorcycle forums?  EVERY bike has examples of mechanical issues but the vast majority of owners dont experience them. 

Spend a few days reading through some Triumph Tiger forums... just sayin'.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ok Guys, thank you. 

It is my main problems since i ride bikes, i read too much on the net before to buy the bike. 

When i sit my but on the fj, i literaly fall in love with the riding position and the light weight feel between my legs. 

Now, i have two choices, please let me know what do you  think:

A brand new FJ09 2017 for $9500 or a 2018 Tracer 900, demo, at 2100km, for $10500, with full guarantee... 

This last one have only been ride by the delers mechanic advisor last summer. 

Thank's 

Edited by Davidbob

1 minute ago, betoney said:

I'm not going to defend the FJ/Tracer as you seem to have already determined that the bike is a disappointment.

Have you read other motorcycle forums?  EVERY bike has examples of mechanical issues but the vast majority of owners dont experience them. 

Spend a few days reading through some Triumph Tiger forums... just sayin'.

I have own a 2013 tiger 800, love this bike but change for a Z1000. In love with power at this time😂😂

2 minutes ago, Davidbob said:

A brand new FJ09 2017 for $9500 or a 2018 Tracer 900, demo, at 2100km, for $10500, with full warentie..

Is the 2018 Tracer 900 the GT model?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, Davidbob said:

I have own a 2013 tiger 800, love this bike but change for a Z1000. In love with power at this time😂😂

You owe it to yourself to experience the CP3 motor, it wont have the top end of an R1 but it deserves all of the praise that every moto-journalist gives it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Its been awhile since I seen this much activity... 

Psst a little UBER TOP LYFT SECRET hush hush information: the CP3 is a hidden gem as it was copied from recovered data from Atlantis 😉 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

No experience with the Triumph, but it's a triple. I've ridden the BMW. Beautiful bike. Loved everything about the bike except the engine. The engine accelerates like a moped compared to the FJ. Oh, and the cost. The power delivery seems more suited for off road.

I still like the BMW though. Maybe down the road. Having too much fun on the FJ for now.