Disapointed...

7 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Or find a fully farkled 2016 in red with all the fixin's and maybe even some suspension a can for probably less than 6500

I don't know about any changes to the head that would affect premature valve tightening

After a certain VIN the cylinder head was another part number. 

Just find a brand new 2018 tracer 900 GT for $13200CAD...

Both colors available, black or gray

6 hours ago, Davidbob said:

And more, i was thinking that the FJ had the agressive punch of the FZ/XSR900.  But as i can see, it is a tame down version of this CP3 engine. 

Never heard that one before.... you need to ride one... then ride a Tiger 800 or F800... then come tell us which one you think has the punch lol.

0-60 in under 3 seconds on the FJ... if you can somehow keep the front wheel down, is pretty good punch.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

2 hours ago, Davidbob said:

After a certain VIN the cylinder head was another part number. 

Is this correct?   If so, news to me...

I was recently fortunate enough to find brand-new never-on-the-road 2015 model, made in June of that year.   So it was three-and-a-half years of age when I got it, three weeks ago to the day, but it came in that lovely Lava Red colour.   After 2 x dull matte grey versions, and the previous dark blue with silver tank model I was thrilled to find the red one available.   

I've been an avid follower of this Forum for almost four years so I reckon I'm up-to-date with most if not all all issues affecting the Tracer, but wasn't deterred at all from buying the 2015.  You owe it to yourself to ride the Tracer, or die wondering...

Let us know what happens please!

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Davidbob said:

And please, pardone me for my english, i am french from Québec 😊

Lesson to learn. Everything you read on the internet isn’t necessarily true.

Are you a French model?

Let’s go Brandon

6 hours ago, fr8dog said:

I've ridden the BMW. Beautiful bike. Loved everything about the bike except the engine. The engine accelerates like a moped compared to the FJ. Oh, and the cost. The power delivery seems more suited for off road.

Sweeping generalisations here!   Exactly WHAT BMW did you ride?   They make everything from scooters to full-on race-replica street bikes.   The engine performance of my F800 GT was definitely underwhelming, but my GS would pull yer arms off!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I used to have a BMW 800 gs and had a few "issues" the Tracer GT I have now is night and day better!

Ridden a Triumph 800, nice bike but prefer GT and bear in mind valve checks Triumph 12,000 miles, GT 24,000 miles!

10 hours ago, betoney said:

You owe it to yourself to experience the CP3 motor, it wont have the top end of an R1 but it deserves all of the praise that every moto-journalist gives it.

Yes, betoney the first 4 day 1500 mile ride in the Ozarks of Arkansas I described the engine as "playful". I continue to feel that way about this motor. I'm used to 1100cc Kawasaki motors, ZRX1100 and ZX11 Ninjas. The reduction in weight, avg. 124 lbs with a reflash at 108 RWHP. I'll tell ya you turn off the traction control and chase your buddy on an Aprilla Turno or a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Vmax.....Hiking the front wheel out of corners on the throttle pulling 10 grand out of 35 MPH read 70 to 85 MPH corner, Whoooo-Hooooo! man this motor screams. Now the liter and these bikes that make between 175 and 195 RWHP. If we pull out of the twisties and we hit a straight stretch well, they pull away at 150-170 MPH. yeah, an 850 isn't going there but at 462 lbs, 108 RWHP can be a heck of a lot of fun up to 125-130 MPH.  Wheelies out of the corners at 35 to to 50 easy. There are many on here at 75,000 miles or more with good results. I'm figuring I'll be in that group also. I do run motors in the 7  to 10,500 RPM range on motorcycle meets with buddies I ride with but also ride around NW Louisiana and avg 51.6 riding Louisiana and 48.6 riding Arkansas. I feel I'm an avg rider and I will get 100,000 miles out of this motor no problems, regular expenses, of course, 2 to 4 clutches, 4 valve adjs, regular maint. etc. Maybe less clutches if I get the slipper clutch upgrade for approx. 231.00 USD. Should be a bit easier on it. Your choice, I paid 7,000 even for my 2015 with 2348 miles on it with Hebco-Becker simi soft saddle bags on the C-Bow system. I'm totally happy with my purchase.

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, tktplz said:

I'll tell ya you turn off the traction control and chase your buddy on an Aprilla Turno or a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Vmax.....Hiking the front wheel out of corners on the throttle pulling 10 grand out of 35 MPH read 70 to 85 MPH corner, Whoooo-Hooooo! man this motor screams.

Now, THAT is how this motor loves to be ridden, I like how you think! 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 minutes ago, piotrek said:

FWIW... the 2017 and 2018 share the same part number for the cylinder head assembly. Buy the bike already 😈... value of that $700 may be questionable IMO, but if you think you need it... go for it. 😎

VIN before RN37Y-000866 have older part number, and my 2018 have VIN 37N9HA001208, so older head. 

BTW, with 4 years guarantee.... 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Davidbob said:

20190111_072058.jpg

That's interesting, I had not heard of a head redesign.  I'm curious as to what prompted the changes and what other parts have been redesigned.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Sweeping generalisations here!   Exactly WHAT BMW did you ride?   They make everything from scooters to full-on race-replica street bikes.   The engine performance of my F800 GT was definitely underwhelming, but my GS would pull yer arms off!

I test rode the bike he's talking about. The BMW 850gs. Beautiful bike.