Disapointed...

14 hours ago, piotrek said:

I simply looked at the online parts fiche... where are the VIN numbers coming from?... curious to know. The bike has undergone a number of changes for 2017.

Click on the (+) symbol were cylindre head part number. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, fr8dog said:

I test rode the bike he's talking about. The BMW 850gs. Beautiful bike.

OK, thanks, all is clear now!   But I'm not sure about 'beautiful', at least not in the aesthetic sense.   I have owned and enjoyed one R1150 GS and three at least R1200 GSs, so I feel allowed to comment - they are outstanding machines, but def not beautiful!   On another Forum I once wrote that IMHO the GS is the ugliest thing on two wheels, unless you have ever seen my mother-in-law on her exercise bicycle!   😎

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

@Davidbob - I hope you’re getting some additional insight into the FJ/Tracer from this forum.   We are admittedly biased in favor of the FJ around here, but it’s just such an entertaining motorcycle to ride!  As mentioned previously, the CP3 motor is an absolute gem...  you owe yourself the opportunity of test riding one.   

In regards to your reliability concerns, take a look through the following thread.  Many FJs with a lot of miles (140k+ miles in at least one instance) with very few mechanical issues.  As with anything, there may be an occasional ‘bad apple’ in the bunch, but overall the FJ seems to be hearty and reliable.  And bucketfuls of fun... :) 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, Davidbob said:

After a certain VIN the cylinder head was another part number. 

Just find a brand new 2018 tracer 900 GT for $13200CAD...

Both colors available, black or gray

That's a smokin' deal on a new GT, they are in short supply and not many dealers are discounting them. MSRP in Canada is $14600.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

2 hours ago, gv550 said:

That's a smokin' deal on a new GT, they are in short supply and not many dealers are discounting them. MSRP in Canada is $14600.

Here in Oz dealers are simply not stocking them - special order only.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

9 hours ago, gv550 said:

Don't want to rub it in but here in Blighty Yamaha were doing 0% finance over 3 years to shift last year's model so traded in S10 in October!

19 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Here in Oz dealers are simply not stocking them - special order only.

Wordsmith I went to a local dealer (Bikebiz Parramatta) about a week ago and nothing on display, knew little about the new 900 or GT, didn't know if or when they might get one....very little interest. The talk turned to the Niken and it was non stop gushing of information.

1 hour ago, proast said:

The talk turned to the Niken and it was non stop gushing of information.

And I imagine you too had very little interest in the Niken!  With this approach Yamaha Australia is condemning the new Tracer and GT to the same sales oblivion as the Gen 1 model.   I cannot understand it at all...

• 2 months later...

Most people love their FJ’s, I’m not one them. It has great power and ergonomics but the horrible vibration along with engine/gear whine at cruising speed, death wobble at highspeed, and world’s crappiest stock suspension keep me from falling in love with it. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sdb said:

Most people love their FJ’s, I’m not one them. It has great power and ergonomics but the horrible vibration along with engine/gear whine at cruising speed, death wobble at highspeed, and world’s crappiest stock suspension keep me from falling in love with it. 

I have the 2015. The worst of the bunch. After some serious fiddling with the stock suspension it is "acceptable" . That said. There are no track days in my future. So YMMV.

No  "death wobble" no excess noise to my 60 year old ears.

It appears that the "Tracer GT" with the longer wheel base and upgraded suspension has fixed most complaints.

It has been my experience that any particular motorcycle is either right or wrong to any particular rider.

People that like one thing might not like something else.

All that said. If it ain't right for you get rid of it. Life is too short (and it's about enjoying your ride) to ride a bike you don't like.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

OK, so I've read through this thread and really need to understand if this valve tightening issue a problem with all bikes before the given VIN or some of the bikes or just a few of them.  

I'm seriously considering an FJ as my next ride and found a 16 left over at my local dealer for a nice price, (VIN is pre head change).  (He also has a 2018 tracer leftover available but at about 2K more).  If this head issue is serious enough that it's affecting most of the bikes then I'll keep looking.  But if it's an occasional issue then I may roll the dice on this one. 

So, sing out.  What say ye... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, Old Dog said:

OK, so I've read through this thread and really need to understand if this valve tightening issue a problem with all bikes before the given VIN or some of the bikes or just a few of them.  

I'm seriously considering an FJ as my next ride and found a 16 left over at my local dealer for a nice price, (VIN is pre head change).  (He also has a 2018 tracer leftover available but at about 2K more).  If this head issue is serious enough that it's affecting most of the bikes then I'll keep looking.  But if it's an occasional issue then I may roll the dice on this one. 

My bike has a December 14 build date. I have 10K on it and the exhaust valves are all tighter than spec. Two at .21mm, one at .22mm, two at .24mm and one at .26mm. The intakes are all in spec. 

I am in the process of addressing the issue currently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, Old Dog said:

Only Yamaha knows why the p/n changed. You can’t assume anything about the reliability of these bikes based on year of manufacture or VIN. 

Now that is out of the way, the most likely reason for head change was the addition of an oil passage to feed the cam chain tensioner. 

Older bikes got a different cam chanson tensioner kit as part of an update bulletin than newer bikes.  All years work fine. 

Don’t worry about the valves. Plan on the checking the clearances a bit earlier than recommended, somewhere after 20k miles. If they’re tight, loosen them up and keep riding. 

It’s a Yamaha. Very little goes wrong. 

-Skip

Archived