The Great Brexit Road Trip 2019

Thought I'd consult the fountain of knowledge that is this forum.  

In May of this year me (a Brit expat) and 4 Swedish mates will be doing a 2 week tour from Northern Sweden to the UK, taking in SE England, the North and Scotland, with a possible quick hop over to the Isle of Man during TT practice week.

The broad strokes are to tank it down to Holland in 3 days and take a ferry over to Harwich.  Return journey 2 weeks later will be via Newcastle and a ferry back to Holland, before the long slog back up to Northern Sweden.

I have a 2015 Tracer with the original semi-hard panniers that were/are available in Europe and am thinking of adding a Kappa rack and top box (probably K48N).  Also thinking about a small tank bag.  We are planning to not book accommodation and just play it by ear, but I will also likely take a tent, sleeping bag etc.

My question to the esteemed panel is what would you consider essential to pack on a tour of this nature.  I know there are many experienced tourers among our membership and I would be grateful for a few insights.  As with all these sorts of things I'm a big believer in less is more....

CS

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

I'm a big believer in less as more....

CS

That right there puts you ahead of the game. 

When traveling.

I have a  Givi XStream 20L Tail Bag that is permanently attached to a Yamaha luggage rack. A  Cortech Super 2.0 12L Tank Bag.

The Yamaha hard side cases and a  Enduristan Tornado 32L dry bag

The dry bag holds my everyday street clothes and toiletries and goes into wherever I'm staying overnight. The tank bag will have stuff I may want without getting off the bike. Advil, neck gaiter, different gloves, phone, battery pack for charging my phone, any secondary maps I might need for the day.

Tail bag will have Visor cleaner and small microfiber towel, a half roll of toilet paper, (don't laugh, it's been handier than you would think) helmet lock and cable, multi-tool, fuses, spare ear buds and usually a extra top layer. (ultralight fleece or long sleeve dry-fit t-shirt. weather dependent)    

The side cases have simple chain maintenance items. Lube, cleaner, a 27mm socket and a telescoping breaker bar and 12mm open end. (the breaker bar and 12mm have never been used on the road) A fairly thick locking Kryptonite cable, (used once or twice) a road atlas (for a larger and more convenient view of the possible routes) and maps that I won't need today but will later in the trip, a tire plug kit (never used) and a small compressor (also never used) a NOKO 1,000 amp jump starter ( it will fit under the seat if you have trimmed the plastic) with motorcycle sized battery clamps, (they don't fit under the seat) a Nelson-Rigg 1/2 motorcycle cover.  Any other space in the side cases will be filled with "spare" clothes in a stuff sack (only used once) or "incidentals" as happened on a trip, my late stepfather's ashes to be spread on a mountain near where we spread my mother's ashes 20 years before.

Only  the dry bag and tank bag come off every night. The side cases stay on and the tail bag stay on. The tail bag has a locking zipper and I put the rain cover over it. Nothing has ever happen to them. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I would say the following bike supplies are necessary:

Puncture repair kit, First aid kit, pliers,  zip ties, duct tape, allen keys & spanners, torch, if you own 1 a portable battery pack to jump start the bike, 1 chain lube, and a good lock to lock the bike up. 

I wouldn't worry about breakdowns. You will always be close to civilisation and since you are not alone should you encounter any issues you will always have the option of leaving a broken down bike and collecting it (or required supplies) the next day.

As for clothes, you need to have waterproofs (which are also great windbreakers), and something thermal for extra heat if you feel cold. Also, make sure you have a change of clothes in case they get wet.

39 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

Cortech Super 2.0 12L Tank Bag.

The Yamaha hard side cases and a  Enduristan Tornado 32L dry bag

The dry bag holds my everyday street clothes and toiletries and goes into wherever I'm staying overnight. The tank bag will have stuff I may want without getting off the bike. Advil, neck gaiter, different gloves, phone, battery pack for charging my phone, any secondary maps I might need for the day.

Tail bag will have Visor cleaner and small microfiber towel, a half roll of toilet paper, (don't laugh, it's been handier than you would think) helmet lock and cable, multi-tool, fuses, spare ear buds and usually a extra top layer. (ultralight fleece or long sleeve dry-fit t-shirt. weather dependent)    

The side cases have simple chain maintenance items. Lube, cleaner, a 27mm socket and a telescoping breaker bar and 12mm open end. (the breaker bar and 12mm have never been used on the road) A fairly thick locking Kryptonite cable, (used once or twice) a road atlas (for a larger and more convenient view of the possible routes) and maps that I won't need today but will later in the trip, a tire plug kit (never used) and a small compressor (also never used) a NOKO 1,000 amp jump starter ( it will fit under the seat if you have trimmed the plastic) with motorcycle sized battery clamps, (they don't fit under the seat) a Nelson-Rigg 1/2 motorcycle cover.  Any other space in the side cases will be filled with "spare" clothes in a stuff sack (only used once) or "incidentals" as happened on a trip, my late stepfather's ashes to be spread on a mountain near where we spread my mother's ashes 20 years before.

Thanks Fd, however do you think you could edit your post as most of the text is white and almost impossible to read.

CS

16 minutes ago, bugie said:

I wouldn't worry about breakdowns. You will always be close to civilisation and since you are not alone should you encounter any issues you will always have the option of leaving a broken down bike and collecting it (or required supplies) the next day.

Civilisation you say.  Remember we are travelling two months after the UK has dumped itself out of the EU and into total chaos.  I'm picturing a Mad Max style environment myself....😜

c53.jpg.2cbcc43050b332e1338ff4f1c2b7e4c3.jpg

CS

• Premium Member

Pack less clothing than you think you'll need. I change drawers every day, but t-shirts,socks, and shorts every other. I find that those items develop a manly musk after a couple of days that keeps the local wildlife at bay. Especially when I'm camping on the side of the road.

Also remember survival tip #13, nobody messes with the naked guy so it's good to not have much clothing on when you're off the bike. The less you're wearing the quicker you can come out of it. 

Let’s go Brandon

Here's my golden rule.   Lay out on your bed everything you think you'll need.   Remove half - pack the rest.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

Thanks Fd, however do you think you could edit your post as most of the text is white and almost impossible to read.

CS

What color is your background? Shows up perfectly on the dark background.😳

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

As with all these sorts of things I'm a big believer in less as more....

"Less as more" is the reason that I don't bring chain tools. I adjust the chain before leaving home and it doesn't need adjusting again for thousands of miles. Bring chain lube. I carry a small air compressor and a tire plug kit and I have used the air compressor. I chose to air up while on the road and wait until I was home to plug a slow leak.

I like to pack a sleeping bag and pillow in a dry bag and strap it on the passenger seat. That gives me a back rest that can be useful when spending all day on the bike even if I don't intend to camp. Then I strap a tent and camping chair to the top of the dry bag.

In the top case I'll pack extra gloves and an insulated water backpack. It keeps a 2 liter bladder of water cold for hours. I also store my helmet in the top case.

In the side bags I'll pack a change of clothes, shoes, rain gear, and a small bag that contains all my toiletries (tooth brush, razor, soap). The clothes should include a few layers so that you can be ready for hot or cold temperatures. The rain gear can be thin layers that you put on over your riding jacket and pants. My soft side bags have external pockets that I use for things that others place in a tank bag: maps, phone charger, sunglasses, tour guide books.

I like to use a GPS for daily navigation, but paper maps can't be beat for planning.

Lastly, a few locks are useful for attaching your riding gear to the bike when you get off to take a walk. A short cable lock works for the helmet and a long cable lock works for the jacket and pants. You could put them in the top box if they all fit.

P1030231.JPG

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I might continue to use this thread as a journal of events prior to and during the trip.  To that end I have ordered the following to increase my load carrying capacity:

Givi tanklock attachment for the Tracer
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/311374

Givi tanklock tankbag
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/286705

Givi rear rack for Tracer
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/239971

Givi M7 Monokey top plate
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/212277

Givi V40NT Monokey 40 litre top box
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/312126

Interestingly based on other comments on this board and elsewhere I first looked at Kappa stuff; essentially Givi luggage under a different brand but cheaper.  However in this case all of the above Givi items were cheaper than there Kappa counterparts.

The above combined with my existing Yamaha panniers https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/se/sv/products/accessories/accessories-overview/abs-soft-side-case-set/2pp-fs0sc-00-00/ gives me 95 litres of luggage capacity.  Of course there is still space left for strapping stuff to the rear seat.

I'm also thinking about a tent and am seriously considering one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qeedo-Quick-Seconds-Camping-System/dp/B00UCAIV5Y

Thoughts?

CS

On the tent:  that’s a good hydrostatic rating and it looks spacious (although one review mentions being too small for a 5’10” person laying down). I’m not a fan of quick-up systems simply as they are more prone to breakage and if you break one part of that system I think you’d be in trouble. Plus, I’m never in such a hurry that it matters vs a conventional pole tent that takes 5 minutes. Fibreglass poles are heavy and brittle too. Final thought is the storage bag looks on the long side, so worth checking how much it would overhang your panniers.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

On 1/11/2019 at 6:17 AM, captainscarlet said:

In May of this year me (a Brit expat) and 4 Swedish mates will be doing a 2 week tour from Northern Sweden to the UK, taking in SE England, the North and Scotland, with a possible quick hop over to the Isle of Man during TT practice week.

CS

Hey @captainscarlet,

Given the way things are going in the Parliament., I hope you won't  be moving back rather than merely touring through.

Take heart, we got our problems over here in the states too.

Best,

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

For sleeping out in the wild, I use a a combination of an ENO hammock, a rain fly, a ground tarp, and a compact sleeping bag. If I’m in a spot that I can’t use the hammock, I sleep under the fly on the tarp in the bag. 

Let’s go Brandon

13 hours ago, BBB said:

On the tent:  that’s a good hydrostatic rating and it looks spacious (although one review mentions being too small for a 5’10” person laying down). I’m not a fan of quick-up systems simply as they are more prone to breakage and if you break one part of that system I think you’d be in trouble. Plus, I’m never in such a hurry that it matters vs a conventional pole tent that takes 5 minutes. Fibreglass poles are heavy and brittle too. Final thought is the storage bag looks on the long side, so worth checking how much it would overhang your panniers.

Thanks for the feedback.  It's nearly 30 years since I last bought a tent so I'm a little rusty as to what's what.  The appeal of the quick pitch is being able to get into shelter quickly if it's bucketing down; quite likely given we're travelling to the UK. 😉

The tent I linked to has received good reviews on a few other motorbike boards that I frequent, hence my interest in it.  I would also expect robust German engineering to minimise the risk of breakages, although as you say if something critical in the mechanism does break it could be curtains for the whole tent, not good.

CS

9 hours ago, nhchris said:

Hey @captainscarlet,

Given the way things are going in the Parliament., I hope you won't  be moving back rather than merely touring through.

Oh there is no way I'm moving back.  Quality of life even without Brexit is significantly better here in Sweden, even with a somewhat higher tax burden.  Plus you get more back from the state.  Sweden's paternity leave for example is fantastic: 465 days per child (usually on 80% pay) to be used and divided up between the parents as they see fit.  For each of my three children I have taken anything from six to ten months leave in their early years to be at home with them; irreplaceable time.

Not to mention the scenery, countryside and kilometres and kilometres of uncongested roads for motorbiking.  I and the kids also have dual nationality so travelling backwards and forwards will not be a problem in the future.  Obviously the wife, who is a Swede, will in future have to spend many hours in the long queues at immigration to get into fortress UK....🙄

CS

Archived