The Great Brexit Road Trip 2019

2 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

The appeal of the quick pitch is being able to get into shelter quickly if it's bucketing down; quite likely given we're travelling to the UK. 

I totally get the rain point. I lead the Duke of Edinburgh expeditions for our school and getting 50 thirteen year old girls to pitch their tents quickly in the rain is always funny.😂😂

The tent I’ve linked to is outer-pitch first, so you get the shell up and then can stay dry inside while you get the inner up, or keep them joined together and pitch as one unit (which is what I do). It also has a porch area for sticking your kit in.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/viso-3

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

My two pence worth, based on previous outings in France. I had good luck with this tent....Vango sigma 300. 1.5kg lighter than the one your looking at, which when you load everything else up is a big bonus. Room to sit up inside, and very sturdy in wind and rain. Flysheet first is way to go. No messing trying to get correct tension, and you can pitch quickly with inner already in place, which will stay dry. Very handy if it's raining.  On discount reduced to £79.00 ! since 'new' green model is out. Also, Jetboil flash. Seems gimmicky but used way more than I thought. Lastly, a very very good self inflating mattress (Thermarest) Most of your warmth is lost through the ground. You will also sleep at night (Bonus !) as they are waaay more comfortable than a mat. I originally took a cheap pump up mattress. Fecking freezing at night.  Oh, and 3man really means two man unless you like it very cosy...All food for thought...

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

Hi again. Something you might want to consider..Having soft bags is a bit of a risk to thieving scum. One of my changes was to get hard sidecases, as I was always a bit nervous leaving bike when taking a stroll around a place of interest on route. I used  scratched s/hand ebay  (to keep cost down) FJR panniers, as they are a tad wider, (bowed instead of flat) They clip and lock straight on to back rail, just need an additional bracket on footrest. Not the last word in anti theft, but way more secure. Also, put heaviest stuff in cases, the heaviest items at bottom. (or on your mates bike 😏) The lighter stuff in top box.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived