Do Today's O-Ring Chains Really Need Oil?

4 hours ago, colnagorider said:

so now I'm wondering what I have to do to keep it running smooth.

Chain life mainly depends on  you ensure you keep an eye on the chain slack to make sure it isn't too tight or too loose.

Ensure you oil it every 500k or so and ideally in between every 2 or 3 oilings clean the chain using wd40.  The clean is important as dust sticks to the chain lube so you end up putting your next oiling on a layer of old wax and dust.

• Premium Member

About 3 years ago I decided I only wanted shaft drives on my motorcycles.  But the bikes I wanted were chain driven, so I decided to go ahead and get a bike with a chain drive but maintain it like a shaft - meaning minimum maintenance.  I put 8000 miles on a Triumph Bonneville and I adjusted that chain once and it was good when I traded it in on my Tracer.  I have a KTM Super Duke that now has 5000 miles on it and I have not adjusted that chain, not once.  I use PJ1 Blue Label clear wax spray can at about 500 mile intervals.  I use Simple Green to wipe off the rear wheel with paper towels at about 500 mile intervals.

I am pretty happy with this procedure.  It's simple.  It's easy.  The chain lasts.  Modern o-ring chains are indeed low maintenance.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Inspect chain regularly. Wipe it down with wd40 occasionally. Never lube. Life best as can tell from the interwebz falls close to mean. Lubing or oilers vs marginal additional life equation works out just fine for me. 

If you're paying somebody else to do a replacement YMMV.

I guess at the end of the day it really is up to the individual as to "how" they want to look after their machine.

Personally, I use a manual chain oiler (Loobman) because I can't get the bike on the centre stand. It's a PITA having to find some one that can assist me if I have to do that, so I find the oiler the best option for me.

Besides that, like has been said before, it assists with the wear on the sprockets and keeps the o / x-rings lubricated hopefully giving longevity to the chain.

And my dad and hubby would kick by scrawny butt from here to kingdom come if I didn't....fears for life (he he he)

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/17/2019 at 1:06 PM, bugie said:

The clean is important as dust sticks to the chain lube so you end up putting your next oiling on a layer of old wax and dust.

Which is exactly why I don't use chain lube. I brush on a little 80w gear oil (or chainsaw bar oil) every 1000 miles or so to prevent rust and it's fine. Nothing sticks to the gear oil, hence I never need to clean the chain.

• Premium Member
On 1/19/2019 at 12:23 AM, kimmie said:

I use a manual chain oiler (Loobman) 

Have you had any issues with the Loobman during elevation changes? I had one on my last bike, but found that it would dump too much oil when riding down out of mountains. 

• Premium Member

I've been using the Pro Honda chain lube.  I tried it because the dealership was having a 50% off of preventative maintenance products at the end of last year.  Yes, something Honda has been touching my Yamaha and my Yamaha likes it.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Chain-Lube-White-Graphite/dp/B007XHPUW6

I have 18k miles and just spray my chain every 300-500 miles or after a rain.  I've never had to really clean it either, so there doesn't seem to be much that sticks to it.  I don't think a quick wipe down with a rag and respray counts as cleaning.

I even bought new sprockets and chain due to the mileage, and they're sitting on a shelf.  I compared the teeth of the new sprockets to the old and I don't see any visible signs of wear on the old.  The chain is still quiet with no missing seals or stiff links.  The inside of the front sprocket cover was a bit of a mess, but none of it was stuck to the chain.

Archived