ActiveTune AFR closed-loop self-tuning ECU kit

betoney

• Supporting Member

I was browsing https://2wheeldynoworks.com/ looking for new stuff that I just cant live without  😎 and came across the Yamaha ActiveTune AFR closed-loop self-tuning ECU kit  It sounds like it would be quite useful in auto tuning your fuel map in real-time based on your riding conditions.

Has anyone used this device?  Is this something that would be more useful for a track rider vs. an "everyday Joe" rider?  Any opinions for or against?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had my car tuned this way when I fitted a much bigger turbo, bigger injectors and free-flowing exhaust (it was a track day car). Essentially it was custom mapping, whilst driving and listening for detonation from going lean in the map.

For our bike I can imagine it being useful if you experience different fuels, changed exhausts or air intake systems. But for most people I’m guessing it won’t be needed.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Quite a few ppl use it over on the FZ-07 forum... 

Thanks for that, I'm headed over there now to do some reading.  👍

Basically the ActiveTune keeps automatically adjusting the "map" to meet the AFR values you have set using the wideband o2 sensor, so you have optimal engine performance all the times... Even can customize AFR values or import maps IIRC

Currently a "reflashed" has its "map" set and will always run that map- the downside it is always not always running at optimal engine performance due to many variables... Most of us will probably not notice a very very small loss in performance if not used to running the engine hard...but still runs within safe normal AFR lvls, thanks to modern electricals and smart knowledge tuners... 

The PCV autotuner is similar to the ActiveTune but it requires you to keep an eye on what it saying needs to be corrected...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Currently a "reflashed" has its "map" set and will always run that map- the downside it is always not always running at optimal engine performance due to many variables... Most of us will probably not notice a very very small loss in performance if not used to running the engine hard...but still runs within safe normal AFR lvls, thanks to modern electricals and smart knowledge tuners...

Since I already have the 2WDW fuel map in their ECU flash, I am likely 90-95% good to go.  However I have talked to Nels several times in person, on the phone and through email correspondence and he will be the first to tell you that no 2 bikes are the same and can react differently to the same flash.  A base fuel map is just that - a baseline, (although a damn good baseline), getting the last bit sorted out is where you can feel the difference.

Ive had my bikes on his dyno in the past, and he painstakingly tweaks and fiddles every little detail until he is satisfied.  Last year I rode between sea level and 11,000' and freezing up to 113F.  The auto tune might be the ticket for near-perfect efficiency.

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Wondered about this kit a couple of seasons ago when exploring flashing options. There was someone on here who had one installed... long ago, and don't see the user active any more. Maybe a search will yield something. A little confused what is actually required... the kit ($385) plus the bike-side harness ($50) + flashing kit ($380). Wouldn't really need the flashing kit as the ECU is already flashed... is that correct?

I think this would be great for the track, where you can benefit from small AFR adjustments to wring out the most you can get when riding closer to machine limits.

I couldn't help myself, I needed another bike project before riding season kicks off.  😎

I contacted 2WDW and this was their response -

"We're happy to help! The Active Tune system is a spectacular upgrade for the entire FZ/FJ line of bikes, because it can adjust for changes in the fueling requirements of the bike in real time as you ride! The Active Tune system retails for $385, but we can get you one for $350 and cover the shipping. We just need your ECU back to activate the Active Tune system and set the parameters in your ECU, then we will send both it and the Active Tune back to you at no additional charge!

Once you get the ECU and Active Tune back, all you have to do is plug it in and ride!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

***RIDE UPDATE***  I got the ECU and Active Tune installed and went out for a ride, I burned through a full tank of fuel today to test it out.

A little history - I have had 2WDW ECU flash for almost 2 years, a big improvement for sure, but I still experienced some abrupt on/off fueling.  2WDW was extremely helpful every time I contacted them, Nels suggested adjusting the APS value for smoother fueling.  Again, noticeable improvement but  still some abrupt on/off fueling.

At the suggestion of @norcal616 I did some research on the FZ-07 site where Travis from 2WDW posted the following:

"Thank you for reaching out to us! I was personally apart of the FTECU active-tune development as a prior employee there for the past 5 years. The active-tune kit is the next level for your bike after the custom ECU flash from 2WDW. 

This kit is designed to be used with a very well developed base map/tune. The custom developments made here at 2WDW are as good as you can get without running this piece of hardware on top of the custom mapping 2WDW provides. It is like having Nels (the lead developer of the custom maps) riding along with you and his laptop tuning your bike live. 

Changes in atmospheric and barometric pressures are measured as learned values are trimmed to meet the target air-to-fuel ratios programmed with the active tune software. That being said, the 2WDW developments combined with multiple track record setting race seasons, dyno tuning sessions and around town riding conditions are world class. 

We have made amazing developments with the active-tune hardware. Our custom air-to-fuel targets paired with our custom ignition and throttle mapping will take your bike from fantastic to unbelievable!"

My riding impressions - I rode a mixture of city stoplight-to-stoplight, rural highways, higher rpm 3rd gear twisties, spirited sweepers through farmland and a few miles of interstate, the fueling is noticeably smoother, almost electric.  In slower traffic much less need to feather the clutch while slowing or speeding back up, when coming off a straight stretch, setting up corner speed and then powering through the turn, the roll off/ roll on was flawless.  Its not a dramatic night and day difference like comparing the stock fueling to the post-flash fueling but it was a noticeable and most welcome improvement.

One other thing I noticed, - improved fuel economy. I have noticed over the last few tanks of fuel that my average reading is low 40's (40-43 avg.) in mixed riding.  Today, with a mix of twisties, city stop and go, rural 50mph highway, fast sweepers and sustained 80mph interstate, my average reading was almost 49mpg! 

I will be the first to say that for the average rider, this is NOT necessary, just get the ECU flashed and be done with it, however, if you are the type that is always looking for that little extra, I definitely experienced improvements in both fueling smoothness and fuel economy and am happy with the product and the service from 2WDW.

@betoney...very good write up

I agree with what you have experienced and noticed... 

It's also nice to hear even more smoother throttle response is achieved, I have accepted the behavior to be due to the firing order of the CP3 but I can totally understand why the ActiveTune smoothes out the throttle response... 

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

@betoney...very good write up

I agree with what you have experienced and noticed... 

It's also nice to hear even more smoother throttle response is achieved, I have accepted the behavior to be due to the firing order of the CP3 but I can totally understand why the ActiveTune smoothes out the throttle response... 

Travis told me that the O2 sensor is much higher quality (and much more sensitive) than stock and the Active Tune updates the fuel map every 4 milliseconds!

02 Sensor.jpg

On 1/31/2019 at 6:19 PM, betoney said:

Travis told me that the O2 sensor is much higher quality (and much more sensitive) than stock and the Active Tune updates the fuel map every 4 milliseconds!

02 Sensor.jpg

Meaning it’s simply a wideband sensor vs the stock Yamaha narrow band sensor? 

Or is it more special than that? Just curious....

-Skip

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Meaning it’s simply a wideband sensor vs the stock Yamaha narrow band sensor? 

Or is it more special than that? Just curious....

-Skip

@skipperT - I honestly dont know enough about it to give you an educated answer.

The device is a AFR Closed Loop Self Tuning Kit 

Does the web page description shed any further light on the product?  If it does, please share in layman terms.  😎

58 minutes ago, betoney said:

@skipperT - I honestly dont know enough about it to give you an educated answer.

The device is a AFR Closed Loop Self Tuning Kit 

Does the web page description shed any further light on the product?  If it does, please share in layman terms.  😎

The ActiveTune use a "wideband o2 sensor"= really no AFR limits... 18mm thread size

Stock o2 sensor is a "narrow band o2 sensor"= very limited AFR range... usually found in 12mm thread size but some* are 18mm to allow the owner to use a "wideband o2 sensor" without having to weld a 18mm bung to the exhaust and capping the 12mm bung...

Some aftermarket exhaust have both a 12mm and 18mm bung already installed such as Graves Exhaust...

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

The ActiveTune use a "wideband o2 sensor"= really no AFR limits... 18mm thread size

Stock o2 sensor is a "narrow band o2 sensor"= very limited AFR range... usually found in 12mm thread size but some* are 18mm to allow the owner to use a "wideband o2 sensor" without having to weld a 18mm bung to the exhaust and capping the 12mm bung...

Some aftermarket exhaust have both a 12mm and 18mm bung already installed such as Graves Exhaust...

Thanks for explaining that a bit.  This plugged right into the header where the stock sensor was threaded in.  No welding needed, unplug the old sensor, plug in the new one.

@betoney Norcal covered most of it.  My understanding is that a narrow band O2 operates from 0-1 Vdc which isn't as accurate as a so called wideband O2 (common in Automotive applications) which I(I think) as Norcal mentioned has a much greater range - for example I've seen AFR values on the Dyno anywhere from 9.0 (rich) to 20.0 (lean) while tuning. Not sure what voltages it operates at, I'll google it.

Sounds as if it's comparable to a dynojet Autotune kit as far as the sensor goes, but it has the ability to actually Reflash the ECM as opposed to changing fuel maps in the PC-V. 

Neat.

-Skip

Archived