ActiveTune AFR closed-loop self-tuning ECU kit

betoney

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, skipperT said:

@betoney Norcal covered most of it.  My understanding is that a narrow band O2 operates from 0-1 Vdc which isn't as accurate as a so called wideband O2 (common in Automotive applications) which I(I think) as Norcal mentioned has a much greater range - for example I've seen AFR values on the Dyno anywhere from 9.0 (rich) to 20.0 (lean) while tuning. Not sure what voltages it operates at, I'll google it.

Sounds as if it's comparable to a dynojet Autotune kit as far as the sensor goes, but it has the ability to actually Reflash the ECM as opposed to changing fuel maps in the PC-V. 

Neat.

-Skip

@skipperT  Thanks for the knowledgeable replies

In my phone conversation with 2WDW, Travis mentioned poor performing (or limited range) motorcycle sensors and said this new one was much more sensitive.  And since I already have their optimized fuel map as a starting point, the Active Tune has to make much smaller corrections to achieve its target. 

Interestingly, I asked about non-ethanol fuel, he said they built the fuel maps for the FJ on Chevron or Shell E10 Premium and depending on the temperature or the altitude I visit, he did not recommend non-ethanol fuel so as to not exceed the correction values.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, skipperT said:

@betoney My understanding is that a narrow band O2 operates from 0-1 Vdc which isn't as accurate as a so called wideband O2 (common in Automotive applications) which I(I think) as Norcal mentioned has a much greater range - for example I've seen AFR values 

I used to use a wideband O2 sensor to do my own tuning in a turbocharged car that I owned. The wideband O2 sensor measures air-fuel ratio (AFR) in a range of about 9.0 to 20.0 like you said. The tuning software uses that measurement to adjust the fuel injector pulse periods in the ECU, which then adjusts the AFR. 

A narrowband O2 sensor has a much smaller range of measurement. It basically senses either a rich or lean condition. A rich condition is an AFR value less than 14.7 and a lean condition is an AFR value greater than 14.7. That is inadequate information for tuning which is the reason for the wideband O2 sensor.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

On 2/5/2019 at 8:44 AM, estell said:

I used to use a wideband O2 sensor to do my own tuning in a turbocharged car that I owned. The wideband O2 sensor measures air-fuel ratio (AFR) in a range of about 9.0 to 20.0 like you said. The tuning software uses that measurement to adjust the fuel injector pulse periods in the ECU, which then adjusts the AFR. 

A narrowband O2 sensor has a much smaller range of measurement. It basically senses either a rich or lean condition. A rich condition is an AFR value less than 14.7 and a lean condition is an AFR value greater than 14.7. That is inadequate information for tuning which is the reason for the wideband O2 sensor.

I'd pretty much agree with all that- The only thing that I would add is that neither type of O2 sensor "knows" what rich or lean is - it simply sends a voltage signal to the ECM which then "knows" if the engine is running rich or lean.

A narrowband O2 is capable of producing rich/lean signals - however stoich is around 0.45 Vdc, and it ranges from 0-1 Vdc while operating (Rich ranges roughly= 0.8-0.9 Vdc and lean at roughly around 0.1-0.2Vdc). These values are only visible with a scope AFAIK.

-Skip

Archived