Handlebar vibration

• Premium Member

What do you all think of using sorbothane washers or a sheet of sorbothane somewhere on the handlebar brackets?

On the Multistrada 950 the bars have some sort of rubber grommet or something to absorb the vibration. Our bikes are metal to metal.

"isolate it" has a lot of different products.

• Premium Member

Just tried using a couple of different things on the upper bracket and the bars. No difference. Looks like I'll order a small sheet of sorbothane so I can cut to size. Gonna try on the top and bottom of the triple tree, or whatever that is that the bracket is bolted to.

Installing Grip Puppies on each handlebar grip is a proven way to minimise/ eradicate vibration, unless it is very pronounced - in which case something may be wrong.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Try changing the front sprocket to a plain jane one rather than the OEM noise damping style one... At first I found the vibrations to be an odd clunky rhythm that go more pronounced with rpms, then I changed to a plain Jane one and the vibrations went back to a natural chain/sprocket feel I'm so familiar with... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Try changing the front sprocket to a plain jane one rather than the OEM noise damping style one...

And if you are into sportier type riding, maybe try a 15 Tooth (-1) sprocket for a little more zip!

For $25 its a fun way to enhance the gearing (quicker), if you hate it, just switch back to stock.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

My 2015 FJ09 has severe handlebar vibration... It starts putting my hands to sleep, which is dangerous to say the least. I have tried using old cut down inner tubes (2 layers!) to isolate the bars. It was a bit better, but still numbs my hands. I am going to try to isolate the handle bar risers, which were dangerously loose when I rode home from the dealer. The other possible remedies I've seen mentioned here were a "bar snake" or to fill bars with BBs, and foam grip puppies, which will probably make my heated grips less effective.

I'm looking to adapt bar end weights to my handguards. (I cant live without them!) Any other ideas that have worked would be much appreciated. I love the bike, but unless this can be resolved, I might have to go back to BMW. Please help!

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, bugie said:

The heated grips can still be felt on setting 2 and 3 but there is a noticeable decrease in their effectiveness.

You can adjust the heat settings on your grip warmer settings to make them warmer at each level. Unless you were already at the hottest level, this should solve the problem.

• Thumbsup 1

26 minutes ago, thepmh said:

thanks bugie. Have you programmed your settings for the intensity on all 3 heat levels?

Completely forgot about that option so no i haven't (living in the Mediterranean it hasn't been any issue  though   :) )

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, lakegastonhank said:

My 2015 FJ09 has severe handlebar vibration... It starts putting my hands to sleep, which is dangerous to say the least. I have tried using old cut down inner tubes (2 layers!) to isolate the bars. It was a bit better, but still numbs my hands. I am going to try to isolate the handle bar risers, which were dangerously loose when I rode home from the dealer. The other possible remedies I've seen mentioned here were a "bar snake" or to fill bars with BBs, and foam grip puppies, which will probably make my heated grips less effective.

I'm looking to adapt bar end weights to my handguards. (I cant live without them!) Any other ideas that have worked would be much appreciated. I love the bike, but unless this can be resolved, I might have to go back to BMW. Please help!

Drives me bonkers too. My hands are asleep in 15 minutes. Wouldn't have thought too much about it had I not rode my son's bike. Zero vibration through the bars. Although after 20 minutes on his my hands started to numb. Not sure what's going on. Obviously a circulation issue. The buzzing still bothers me. I'll start with grip puppies and bar ends. Waiting for warmer weather to remove the handguards. Replacing chain and sprockets. That might help too.