Official All encompassing Flasher LED thread!?

open1mind

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Rovari said:

It`s a bit late to your post but I just installed the front lights on my 2020 Tracer and yes the threaded post on the signals are about half an inch too long. I just lined up where they hit the inner panel and drilled a hole. They fit and do not get hung up on anything. My challenge is these damn resistors for the front. Says to attach to metal but there isn`t any. I will get a flasher relay instead. Cheers

Ditch those resistors and get the LED compatible relay for sure.  So much less stuffing around IMO.  Reasonably cheap on Ebay and or elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Figure I'd add my .02$.  I just installed a set of cheap, but nice looking LED flowing turn signals that have a brake and running light function. 

Picked up a $12 LED Plug-in 2 Pin relay from Amazon, a set of $20 flowing signal 4 pack (2 White/Turn Amber, 2 Brake Red/Turn Amber).  I 3D printed some adapters + some aluminum ones for the outside I had kicking around.   Up front I just used some 3 pin adapter that connects right to the new signals up front.   It was a 30 min install up there. 

In the rear that was a bit more involved, I made a wire harness for the signals that tie into the factory connectors + a 3rd line that goes to a tap into the brake wire for the brake light functionality.   This required more disassembly of the rear than I wanted, but now if one fails or brakes, its a pretty fast replacement. 

1667300676_20210428_024621885_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.4e76c4c0bb31db8827dda63d8d3f36cd.jpg219264311_20210428_024611006_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.a88c816a5dca54e61cb42bbc6e506359.jpg1951774406_20210428_024548719_iOS(2).thumb.jpg.33f117bb46e2961c6c226e4f0b90c773.jpg2021-04-27_20-53-47.thumb.jpg.8ac0ff23e8a0da0a01745975b0b1f7e3.jpg

The Signals were bought here : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8B5PB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

The Wire adapters:  (I bought 4, but only used 2 of the wires on the brake ones) : 

The LED relay : 

One of my key reasons I did the upgrade, was when I was stranded last year, the big pumpkin lights drained the battery on the hazards mode in the night in 2 hours...   It was clear they were using WAY more power than I would like for what they do.   These also give me more brake lights and more running lights.   

• Thumbsup 2

Those look nice!  How are they in the daylight?  I hear you about the pumpkins draining the battery!

Amazon says the lights you reference not available but one that looks the same is:

https://www.amazon.com/Acelane-Motorcycle-Indicator-Blinkers-Motorbike/dp/B087CKMV7C/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B087CKMV7C&th=1

Note: Fumbled a bit getting the link in, had to select display as a link instead of embedded.

OK figured out even though it says sorry something went wrong link still works!  Now you have made me spend more money :-)

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Those look nice!  How are they in the daylight?  I hear you about the pumpkins draining the battery!

Amazon says the lights you reference not available but one that looks the same is:

https://www.amazon.com/Acelane-Motorcycle-Indicator-Blinkers-Motorbike/dp/B087CKMV7C/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B087CKMV7C&th=1

Note: Fumbled a bit getting the link in, had to select display as a link instead of embedded.

OK figured out even though it says sorry something went wrong link still works!  Now you have made me spend more money 🙂

Yup those look the same!   I haven't tried them in daylight yet... or in super sunny weather - because its been rainy the last few days :)   But the running light s up front are bright AF, brighter than the normal running lights on the bike!  The Turn signal LED Brake lights are less bright/less focused than the real brake light but its just there as an little addition.  The turn blinkers seem to be bright enough, if anything their movement will attract more attention. 

One "gotcha" I saw was that the depth of the stalk mount/nut inside the front fairing is enough to press the wire against the inner plastic, but it seems you can move the wire out a different direction to keep the pressure off the wire a bit.

Edited by Clegg78

Nice, I've seen some CanAm Spiders with running light strips on them.  Really makes them very visible.  Would love to get something like that for the back of the bike on the sidecases.  I call them strips because it appears as a solid light not a series of dots like a strip of LED's, may be that it has lots of small LED's.  I've also been looking at LEDs to go in the red panel on the Yamaha 39L top case - seems like there is not a light kit for it bur would be great for running and brake lights.

I have the Amazon lights on the way and will report back to how they look.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

12 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Nice, I've seen some CanAm Spiders with running light strips on them.  Really makes them very visible.  Would love to get something like that for the back of the bike on the sidecases.  I call them strips because it appears as a solid light not a series of dots like a strip of LED's, may be that it has lots of small LED's.  I've also been looking at LEDs to go in the red panel on the Yamaha 39L top case - seems like there is not a light kit for it bur would be great for running and brake lights.

The lack of a light kit for the Yamaha case is interesting because it seems clearly built for one!  BTW if you are looking for the wire to tap the brake light power from, its the yellow  wire of the 3 wire connector  to the rear light.

• Thumbsup 1

23 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I have a light strip kit on my bike.  RBG, but I leave them in Amber most of the time as to not draw the ire of grouchy police.  The kit I got has an input that switches all the lights to red, so when I tap my brakes, the whole kit turns red.  I ran strips inside the fairings where there was screens (so the front air intake spots and the backs of the under seat side panels) and up under the tail:

20200709_175140.thumb.jpg.3b95d6fbe801423ea990043511aaf368.jpg

I pulled the strips off the crash bars (that shine at the sides of the engine), though; that felt a little much.  Prefer the more subtle approach.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Is that extension cord powering all those lights? 🙂

BTW, I want that black cowling.  I checked with my dealer here in the US. They can't order them.

Edited by CJ3cyl

2 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

BTW, I want that black cowling.  I checked with my dealer here in the US. They can't order them.

You could always paint your existing ones.  These used to be the common 2020 orangy-metallic side panels:

FINISHED_side1.thumb.jpg.f09a6159b81f26b95d2a40ede66b16ba.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, CJ3cyl said:

Is that extension cord powering all those lights? 🙂

They're white cowlings, I just wrapped them with black vinyl.  I ordered a set of black ones when my wife backed into my bike and broke one of these, but it turns out they ordered "Raven Black" ones - which are for the black and blue 2019 GT.... and are silver.

So my new ones are getting plastidipped whenever the weather is appropriate.

But yeah, vinyl or plastidip (or sexy glossy paint as per @Warchild above) is very easy to do and looks great. 

7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I have a light strip kit on my bike.  RBG, but I leave them in Amber most of the time as to not draw the ire of grouchy police.  The kit I got has an input that switches all the lights to red, so when I tap my brakes, the whole kit turns red.  I ran strips inside the fairings where there was screens (so the front air intake spots and the backs of the under seat side panels) and up under the tail:

20200709_175140.thumb.jpg.3b95d6fbe801423ea990043511aaf368.jpg

I pulled the strips off the crash bars (that shine at the sides of the engine), though; that felt a little much.  Prefer the more subtle approach.  

If that's your idea of subtle, I'd hate to see flashy 😉

17 hours ago, Clem Fandango said:

If that's your idea of subtle, I'd hate to see flashy 😉

Well like I said, the side strips attached to the engine guards in the photo are gone, just leaving strips under the tail, in the front cowling, and under the seat rear-facing through those screens.  

But flashy?  This is flashy:

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Haha 2

The Amazon turn signals arrived today, I found some files on ThingVerse for 3D printing the mounting pieces and have the Yamaha wiring adapters.  I checked out the flashers and lights using a power supply set to 13.8VDC, they are really bright, will have to see how the look in daylight.  The white running lights are really bright, changing from white to the turn signal mode is very nice as well as it adds a nice tough which makes it stand out more.

EDIT:

I've been too busy to chase mounting the new turn indicators but have played more with them.  I like the way they work.  Thought about using the rear one for lights but the red LED are very bright and think will use them for brake lights instead.  Seems to me the brightness is more on the level I would expect from brake and not running lights.  I already have a combination brake and running light on the back of my top case.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

I installed Yamaha OEM Super Tenere led turn signals and a TST flasher. I didn't run into any real issues. I did install the proper mating plug on the turn signals in order to match what's on the Tracer GT. It looks factory original.