Hornet electronic deer avoidance system

• Premium Member
WWW.XP3HORNET.COM

The Hornet deer whistle electronic deer avoidance system by XP3 Corporation is the ultimate deterrent against costly and deadly motor vehicle deer accidents. Deer are the the deadliest animal in the USA.

Opinions?  Something to it or complete bollocks?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member

With as many fatalities as there are every year due to deer strikes on bikes as well as cars, I think if there was any device that worked, even a little bit, auto makers would have made them standard decades ago, similar to seat belts, air bags and ABS.

I would have liked to have something like that a few years ago when I hit a deer, I would pay good money if there was something PROVEN to work, it sure would give me peace of mind when riding in forested areas.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I live in Idaho, and share this fine state with a ton of deer and elk.  Cars hit deer all the time here. It's one of my biggest fears, one of those things that you cannot prepare for, they come running out of the fields and forest right in front of you.

People here buy these little whistle devices to mount on the front of their cars, but they dont seem to work, as many people still have deer jump em with the devices on. 

I hope a new device comes out that is proven to work, but the thing is that deer can hear the cars coming without the whistles. I hunt, and almost any noise spooks a deer to jump and run.  Hell, anyone who hunts will tell you that fucking birds follow hunters around and start making noise and warn the damn deer and everything else that you are there. But those same birds will also warn us that a Grizz is in the area too. 

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Hell, anyone who hunts will tell you that phucking birds follow hunters around and start making noise and warn the damn deer and everything else that you are there.

This.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

@rustyshackles - First things first: “Deer are the deadliest animal in the USA” made me chuckle...  I have this mental image of a gang of thug deer all armed with semi-automatic weapons. 

But to your question, I would love to think there is an effective deer deterrent, but I am highly skeptical.   I center-punched a deer in the Texas Hill Country back in the mid-90s, and it was a VERY unpleasant experience for me, the deer, and my VFR750.   I did a bunch of research after that accident to see if there was anything to the deer whistles and other deterrents, and came to the conclusion that it was more marketing hype than anything scientifically validated.   There was a published article that had a very objective testing methodology (can’t recall where... maybe Motorcycle Consumer News?), and the general finding was that suicidal deer won’t be deterred by a magic whistle or noise generator.

Trust me, I would love to hear that there is something which works...  hitting a deer sucks, and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

This topic has been hashed so many times.  One of the best arguments I've heard was from a guy that is a railroad engineer.  He operates a big, noisy train with bright lights and loud horns.  He has hit so many forest creatures that he has lost count.  Deer, Elk, Moose, Cattle, you name it, he's hit it.  If all the "stimulation" that a thundering locomotive generates doesn't keep the critters from running out in front it, what makes you think some whistle or buzz box is going to make a difference??  Until you have FLIR and phasers you are at the mercy of the stupid animals!

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, sirepair said:

Until you have FLIR and phasers you are at the mercy of the stupid animals!

Couldn't agree more.  I keep wishing they'd be born with reflective striping or fluorescent dots, but you know how that wishing game goes...

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, sirepair said:

This topic has been hashed so many times.  One of the best arguments I've heard was from a guy that is a railroad engineer.  He operates a big, noisy train with bright lights and loud horns.  He has hit so many forest creatures that he has lost count.  Deer, Elk, Moose, Cattle, you name it, he's hit it.  If all the "stimulation" that a thundering locomotive generates doesn't keep the critters from running out in front it, what makes you think some whistle or buzz box is going to make a difference??  Until you have FLIR and phasers you are at the mercy of the stupid animals!

Really loud horns are great for scaring buzzards off of a deer carcass before you get close to them.  Buzzards hurt!  I topped a rise and the buzzard was too close for my horn and they are no fun to hit with a body part.  Ouch!  The GT is getting a Stebel very soon.