{Tracer} Sargent seat update

1 hour ago, MartyP said:

I have loved my other sargent seats but this one I don't. I had a very early one done with the oem  pan. Sits nicely on the bike but they did not do a good job of the forward slope. I called them and they told me that since it was a "custom" job that I would have to send it back and pay another 90+ bucks to get it reshaped. I mentioned that people are saying that early adapters of the seat were getting them fixed for free but not on mine only the one they sell. So I ordered another just rider seat. I got both seats two days ago. The slope was better and the seats look nice but the fit in the tank was driving me crazy. I boxed the seats back up and will be sending them back this weekend. Like I said I loved my Sargent seats on my two other bikes but they just got this wrong. I also feel they should have reshaped my original seat they did for free IMHO

Yes, like you I could not accept the poor fit.  Had a Sargent seat on my VFR and still have my Ninja 1000 with a Sargent seat......both with OEM quality fit.  They really missed the mark on this one.  In my humble opinion they should have built a dedicated seat for the Tracer instead of modifying their own FJ-09 pan.  Shortcuts usually are a detriment to quality.   

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

It more than does for me. The OEM seat might “look” better but if it’s not a good seat, look doesn’t mean shit to me. I’ll take function over form. And I have a the original set that Sargent doesn’t want back. 2 for 1 is a great deal in my book. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, betoney said:

I'm really not understanding what is going on with Sargent getting the seat correct on the Tracer.  I assume (i know, silly me) they have a donor bike like any other seat builder so they can get the dimensions and angles correct.  Even this new revision that they did with the seat looks like they forgot to (or purposely decided not to) match the angle of the tank.

I have several riding buddies with Sargent seats and they all fit the bikes angles/shapes perfectly.

I had another conversation with Sargent about building a seat on my own OEM pan.  I asked about the Tracer GT seat fiasco and they confirmed with me that they tried to modify their own manufactured FJ-09 seat pan to work on the GT.  In retrospect they told me this turned out to be a bad idea but they already had too much R&D time and cost into the project to start from scratch and build one exclusively for the Tracer.....so this is what we have.  He admitted it was their worst new product launch in their history.

Have my order in with Terry Adcox.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I had another conversation with Sargent about building a seat on my own OEM pan.  I asked about the Tracer GT seat fiasco and they confirmed with me that they tried to modify their own manufactured FJ-09 seat pan to work on the GT.  In retrospect they told me this turned out to be a bad idea but they already had too much R&D time and cost into the project to start from scratch and build one exclusively for the Tracer.....so this is what we have.  He admitted it was their worst new product launch in their history.

Have my order in with Terry Adcox.  

I am really surprised that a "seat company" couldn't make a proper fitting seat for a bike... that's all they do.  Even their latest revision, while it looks more comfortable, doesn't fit the lines of the tank, its like they got it 95% built and decided to chop the front at a blunt angle and leave it unfinished looking. 

I hope you like the T-A seat, I have not heard one negative review on Terry's products.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

23 hours ago, quaxum said:

Anyone recently got the sargent? Wonder if there any more updates :)

There is a guy near where I live who posted on one of the FB Tracer pages that his GT Sargent seat arrived (he hadn't installed it yet). I asked him if he had heard about the GT seat fiasco and he said he was chatting with "Bill" on this forum - but not sure who Bill is.

I asked him to post up his findings when he gets it installed.

Rob 

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in a Sargent seat as well... in my experience, the widened basepan is a important thing for me: more square inches for supporting the weight. Had some contact with Sargent about the fitting at the fuel tank, they sent me some pictures in the high and low position. But.. I think they made a mistake in naming the files (I hope).. will upload the pictures here. HIGH setting according to Sargent...

IMG_1849_H_1500-small.jpg

IMG_1856_H_1500-small.jpg

IMG_1864_H_1500-small.jpg

I think the 2nd picture is the high setting but the 1st and 3rd not… anyone?

Edited by KeesH

LOW setting according to Sargent..

IMG_1853_L_1500-small.jpg

IMG_1858_L_1500-small.jpg

IMG_1861_L_1500-small.jpg

For me, the high setting is important while I'm 2 meters tall.. But only the looks of the 2nd picture of my earlier post (high setting) is acceptable while the gap at the fuel tank looks some sort of decent there.

Edited by KeesH

On 11/23/2019 at 5:32 PM, 3sum said:

@quaxum here it is in the high slot. 

F0428A00-4447-4F02-A2B4-0422BCB08F10.jpeg

854196C8-CD42-4BF5-B439-3E63D8287007.jpeg

Is this seat modified a couple of times? I mean, it looks decent to me (high setting), but I'm considering a new Sargent seat for my Tracer 900. When I order a 'standard' World Sport Performance Seat, will I get this look 1-on-1?