{Tracer} Sargent seat update

2 hours ago, 3sum said:

There ya go! And yes the blue is a bit lighter and brighter. I think it blends well with the blue stripes on the tank. It’s color G-50.

564A1D67-414B-4474-9E0B-046B0161E64D.jpeg

The fit in the photos looks pretty decent.  Is your bike the FJ-09, or Tracer?  I have the GT and received my seats today.  On the low setting the front seat has a large gap at the tank.  On the high setting the front seat appears to fit as yours did but I am not too pleased with the fit at the tank pad. Had two other bikes with Sargent seats and they fit just as the OEM did.....but not this one.  Rear seat will not install at all.  No matter how hard I push the rear seat toward the back of the bike the pin will not align with the hole in the subframe.  Large gaps at the rear of the front seat when installing the Sargent front with the OEM rear.   

Seat pans are embossed with "FJ-09".  I wonder what bike they used during development.  I know the Tracer GT has a different rear subframe than the FJ-09.     

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

8 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Send it back.

Plan on it, but will call Sargent in the morning.  Maybe mine is an anomaly, or maybe not.  Still worth a friendly chat with them to see if we can do some problem solving together.  One thing is for certain, the fit is very poor and I am wondering what bike they used for development.  If they used an FJ-09 it could possibly be the root cause.

I am surprised because my two previous Sargent seats ( VFR and Ninja 1000 ) were excellent in comfort, fit and finish.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

It was the Tracer (GT to be exact) they used for development. It was a friend of mine that was the donor bike. 

Mine is the GT also. I have mine in the low setting also and I noticed the gap but I don’t feel it’s bad. I can easily deal with it for a better feeling ride.

And yes, the pan is embossed with the FJ09 part number for the pan. Mine has a sticker on it with the Tracer part number near a corner. Sargent modified the FJ pan for the Tracer. 

My rear seat gave me some fits for a few minutes when I first tried to install it but I got it on. I took it off to put the OEM rear seat back on for the picture and when I went to put the Sargent rear back on it went on easily today.  

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, DeltaHotel said:

Oh by the way did it fit nicely for you on both low and high setting? Which mount height are you using?

I haven’t tried the high setting. I use the low setting and just put the Sargent on like the OEM was. 

1 hour ago, flyfifer said:

It's maybe adding insult to injury but could you post up a pic of the "fit at the front" that you don't like and a pic of the fitted Sargent rear seat.

The rider's seat clearly looks wider than the original.

Here is the picture.  The contour of the seat does not at all match up well to the tank pad.  May be due to the fact that they started with an FJ seat and modified from there rather than developing it directly from the GT.  This may not be an issue for most.  I am probably a bit too picky based on the fact that a large part of my career was spent insuring quality fit and finish in the automotive industry.  The gap between the front seat and the OEM rear looks like a good place for water to enter and cause all sorts of issues.  I believe Sargent makes excellent seats based on my previous two bikes but on those the fit was every bit as good as the OEM parts.

Seat at tank pad upper setting.JPG

Sargent front at OEM rear.JPG

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

The contour of the seat does not at all match up well to the tank pad.  May be due to the fact that they started with an FJ seat and modified from there rather than developing it directly from the GT.

Doesn't Sargent usually build their own seat pans?  How could they start with a seat pan from a different model, modify it so it fits and then sell it to the public as a finished product?

I have nothing against Sargent Seats and don't want to bad-mouth them but as a company who exclusively builds motorcycle seats, I find the above mentioned action inexcusable. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Extract quote "The contour of the seat does not at all match up well to the tank pad.

I am probably a bit too picky based on the fact that a large part of my career was spent insuring quality fit and finish in the automotive industry. 

The gap between the front seat and the OEM rear looks like a good place for water to enter."

I have just looked at my own OEM seat. (GT900).

My seat is on low setting and the fit to the tank pad looks very similar to your Sargent seat pic IMO. Something like 25mm of the "step" showing.

I agree completely that your pic of the fit of the Sargent rider's seat to the pillion seat is very poor.

Does the Sargent seat not come as a pillion and rider pair ?

Edited by flyfifer

18 minutes ago, flyfifer said:

I have just looked at my own OEM seat.

My seat is on low setting and the fit to the tank pad looks very similar to your Sargent seat pic IMO. Something like 25mm of the "step" showing.

I agree completely that the fit of the Sargent rider's seat to the pillion seat is very poor.

Yes, but with the stock seat the gap is consistent, same contour.  Looks much better in my opinion.  

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, 3sum said:

It was the Tracer (GT to be exact) they used for development. It was a friend of mine that was the donor bike. 

Mine is the GT also. I have mine in the low setting also and I noticed the gap but I don’t feel it’s bad. I can easily deal with it for a better feeling ride.

And yes, the pan is embossed with the FJ09 part number for the pan. Mine has a sticker on it with the Tracer part number near a corner. Sargent modified the FJ pan for the Tracer. 

My rear seat gave me some fits for a few minutes when I first tried to install it but I got it on. I took it off to put the OEM rear seat back on for the picture and when I went to put the Sargent rear back on it went on easily today.  

Interesting.  The donor bike was a GT but they modified an FJ pan for the seat.  Looking at the stock seat pan and the modified FJ pan I can see some obvious differences.  How they affect the fit exactly would take some careful investigation using something like Coltoflax putty.  

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Here is the picture.  The contour of the seat does not at all match up well to the tank pad.  May be due to the fact that they started with an FJ seat and modified from there rather than developing it directly from the GT.  This may not be an issue for most.  I am probably a bit too picky based on the fact that a large part of my career was spent insuring quality fit and finish in the automotive industry.  The gap between the front seat and the OEM rear looks like a good place for water to enter and cause all sorts of issues.  I believe Sargent makes excellent seats based on my previous two bikes but on those the fit was every bit as good as the OEM parts.

Seat at tank pad upper setting.JPG

Sargent front at OEM rear.JPG

That doesn't look right to me.

It would drive me crazy too. If you're going to spend money on aftermarket parts that are supposed to improve your bike - you shouldn't have to compromise.

I know that there was a lot of pressure to get this seat to market (including several delays) - so I hope they didn't sacrifice quality for time here.

Hope you get it sorted out @johnmark101

Rob

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

Interesting.  The donor bike was a GT but they modified an FJ pan for the seat.  Looking at the stock seat pan and the modified FJ pan I can see some obvious differences.  How they affect the fit exactly would take some careful investigation using something like Coltoflax putty.  

It might be useful if this statement ref the Pans was clarified by someone.

When it is said Sargent used an FJ Pan to produce a GT seat does this mean --

Sargent have their own moulding for an FJ seat

or

Sargent used a Yamaha FJ seat to produce a Sargent GT seat.

Pedantic it might be but I smell the potential for all sorts of confusion coming out of this thread ???????

Edited by flyfifer