{Tracer} Sargent seat update

1 minute ago, flyfifer said:

It might be useful if this statement ref the Pans was clarified by someone.

When it is said Sargent used an FJ Pan to produce a GT seat does this mean --

Sargent have their own moulding for an FJ seat

or

Sargent used a Yamaha FJ seat to produce a Sargent GT Sargen seat.

Pedantic it might be but I smell the potential for all sorts of confusion coming out of this thread ???????

Agreed.

JohnMark1 is going to give them a call to discuss his seat - I'm sure he will confirm this once he has spoken to them.

2 hours ago, flyfifer said:

johnmark101,

does the Sargent pillion seat, fit the Sargent rider's seat -----better than the OEM pillion seat fits the Sargent rider's seat ??

I can not answer this question because my Sargent pillion seat could not be installed.  I pushed it rearward as much as it would go and the pin which is supposed to fit into a hole in the subframe was still too far forward of the hole.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

1 hour ago, flyfifer said:

or

Sargent used a Yamaha FJ seat to produce a Sargent GT seat.

Pedantic it might be but I smell the potential for all sorts of confusion coming out of this thread ???????

Based on my conversation with them, it seems they used their own seat pan they developed for the FJ and worked to adapt it to the Tracer GT.   

I am going to send them some photos this evening and get back with them early next week.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

10 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I can not answer this question because my Sargent pillion seat could not be installed.  I pushed it rearward as much as it would go and the pin which is supposed to fit into a hole in the subframe was still too far forward of the hole.

That is however an absolutely unambiguous statement !!

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, flyfifer said:

or

Sargent used a Yamaha FJ seat to produce a Sargent GT seat.

Reading comprehension is key (and I’m not trying to be an ass). Sargent made their own seat for the FJ09. The bottom of the seat is stamped with the Sargent model number (as was said earlier). My seat also has a sticker that has the Sargent model number for the Tracer. 

My seats (front and rear) fit fine. Yes the rear took some finagling at first to get in but I’ve done it a few times over since Wednesday and it will attach properly without issue. 

With regards to the pan, we can see the differences below.

The top pic is for the older tracer aka FJ series. The bottom is for the latest Tracer 900s.

Even the part numbers are the same. The pictures should help.sargent_seat_for_yamaha_mt09_tracer_2015_onwards_1558338908_9b0584a3.thumb.jpg.39e115e599fcc47a0796f6161352b234.jpgWS-686F-NS_UNDER_1500.thumb.jpg.97fb9b9e2928bb85c710f34c445a3fe0.jpg

Thank You @3sum for all the pictures. I'm seriously considering the sargent seats in a pair.

• Thumbsup 1

So is this a fair summary ??

johnmark101 cannot get his new Sargent pillion seat to fit, Tracer 900GT.

johnmark101 is not happy with the Sargent rider's seat fit, Tracer 900GT.

3sum thought the Sargent rider's seat fit was fine, Tracer 900 GT.

3sum persevered with the Sargent pillion seat and is able to fit it, Tracer 900GT.

Sargent produced their own Pan for the bike identified as an FJ.

stgolfer has a Sargent seat (the first off) and the seat still slopes, Tracer 900 not GT.

R.C. has a seat on order.

Quaxum posted pics showing a SARGENT, Tracer 900 (including GT) seat PAN and a SARGENT FJ seat pan and they are the same moulding.

Ref this last point I was sure I read on here they were definitely not the same ?? Anybody able to identify that source ? 

Does anybody else have a Sargent seat enroute ?

Edited by flyfifer
Quaxam pic note.

• Premium Member

Sounds kind an accurate summation to me. I’m leaving shortly on a weekend ride with mine!

Just my opinion, but deriving the Tracer seat from a seat made to fit the FJ-09 was maybe not a good idea.  For instance, the OEM Tracer pillion seat has a silver accent piece which the front seat is contoured to fit.  The FJ derived Sargent does not have this same design and is straight across the back.  Here is the result.  Not good for those like myself who wanted the front seat only,  ( They sent me both by mistake ).  Comparing the front seat pans of the Sargent with my OEM, I see they are not exactly the same.

Sargent front at OEM rear.JPG

Edited by johnmark101

11 hours ago, quaxum said:

With regards to the pan, we can see the differences below.

The top pic is for the older tracer aka FJ series. The bottom is for the latest Tracer 900s.

Even the part numbers are the same. The pictures should help.sargent_seat_for_yamaha_mt09_tracer_2015_onwards_1558338908_9b0584a3.thumb.jpg.39e115e599fcc47a0796f6161352b234.jpgWS-686F-NS_UNDER_1500.thumb.jpg.97fb9b9e2928bb85c710f34c445a3fe0.jpg

Thank You @3sum for all the pictures. I'm seriously considering the sargent seats in a pair.

johnmark101,

I did not think that Sargent sold the Rider seat on its own ??

This entire topic would have been rendered wholly unnecessary if only Yamaha had built decent seats into the bikes in the first place.

• Thumbsup 6

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

8 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Just my opinion, but deriving the Tracer seat from a seat made to fit the FJ-09 was maybe not a good idea.  For instance, the OEM Tracer pillion seat has a silver accent piece which the front seat is contoured to fit.  The FJ derived Sargent does not have this same design and is straight across the back.  Here is the result.  Not good for those like myself who wanted the front seat only,  ( They sent me both by mistake ).  Comparing the front seat pans of the Sargent with my OEM, I see they are not exactly the same.

Sargent front at OEM rear.JPG

FWIW - this silver piece (also on my 2019 GT) is not just an 'accent piece'.   It is a push-to-click part of the pillion-seat securing mechanism.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

5 hours ago, wordsmith said:

FWIW - this silver piece (also on my 2019 GT) is not just an 'accent piece'.   It is a push-to-click part of the pillion-seat securing mechanism.

Interesting.  I always just pressed down gently on the pillion seat surface and it clicks right into place.  

• Thumbsup 1