{Tracer} Sargent seat update

I wrote to Sargent, expressing concerns here and asking whether they were aware and working to resolve. Below is the response I received. In summary, they are aware, and they will address all fitment issues in the next couple of weeks (including slope complaint). But they will not fix the gap with stock rear seat, so you'll need to purchase both front and rear (or live with this gap).

-----response from Sargent follows-----

We are aware of the issues and have acquired a motorcycle for further product refinements.  All of the points ... are being examined for resolution.  We are halting sales until the improvements can be implemented (most within the next week or two). 

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

Upon further examination, we’ve determined that the TRECER 900 seats MUST be only sold as a front and rear set going forward or a gap is visible (as per the gentleman’s photos below) between the Sargent front and OEM rear. BTW- we’ve sold one front unit only per our records.  If someone is determined to purchase a front only, they must be informed and understand that there will be a resulting gap between front and rear.  You can share the image below if you like.

How to handle anyone who previously purchased seats and has problems:

Let them know that we will replace the seat once the issues are resolved, but that it is okay to ride as is  (a bit of side to side wiggle and gap in the front in LOW position), until this can be arranged.  The revised version, should also address any forward slope shortcomings and latch easier as well.

Mark Todd
President / R&D Director

Edited by DeltaHotel
Typos

I suppose that's one way to look at it. And indeed the QC was lacking on this release. But at least they are owning that and trying to make it right.

As vendors in this space go, Sargent does much better than many in terms of both quality and customer service. This initial Tracer seat was a big misfire for sure. But let's give them a chance to make it right. 

My .02  ;)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Jesus guys. They say they’re going to fix the ones they’ve sold so far and are halting sales temporarily and that’s “piss weak” and a “vague admission”?

Call me a fanboy of you like, but they could have said to go pound sand and fixed it quietly. Sure, the slope needs fixing on mine, but I’m patient if someone owns up to it. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, 3sum said:

Jesus guys. They say they’re going to fix the ones they’ve sold so far and are halting sales temporarily and that’s “piss weak” and a “vague admission”?

Call me a fanboy of you like, but they could have said to go pound sand and fixed it quietly. Sure, the slope needs fixing on mine, but I’m patient if someone owns up to it. 

I think what everyone is so upset about is that they released a seat that didn't fit to begin with, as well as now instead of building a seat that fits with the passenger seat (which for a seat builder, should be a routine task) they will now only sell them as a pair of both front and rear seats.

"Upon further examination, we’ve determined that the TRECER 900 seats MUST be only sold as a front and rear set going forward or a gap is visible (as per the gentleman’s photos below) between the Sargent front and OEM rear. BTW- we’ve sold one front unit only per our records.  If someone is determined to purchase a front only, they must be informed and understand that there will be a resulting gap between front and rear."

If they are building a custom seat, how hard is it to make one that actually fits instead of requiring the purchase of a passenger seat?  I'm not a seat builder but I have had a custom seat built and watched every step of the build, including when they measured and trimmed it to correctly fit the bike it was being made for.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sargent can't even get the name right - it's TRACER not TRECER! 

(As an aside, I must say that I'm getting a bit anxious about my new BAGSTER seat after all this screwing-up!   But the three I've had before were all perfect in every respect, plus BAGSTER make their own seat-pans, so an excellent fit should be assured).

Edited by wordsmith
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, flyfifer said:

Ref Bagster I asked them if they would sell a Rider's seat only and they said Non.

Which is a little strange as their 'configerateur' appears to ask if the buyer wants one or two seats... see my highlighted screen shot below.   

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose", as we say.

P1050966.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I was one of the first to receive the seats, and called Sargent the very next day about the horrible fit condition, then sent them several photos.  

Based on my past experience with their products, I was shocked at just how bad this one turned out to be, but don't think it is reason enough to bad mouth the company.  My conversations on the phone with them have all been cordial, and they seemed genuinely concerned when I told them of the problems with the seat. 

Hopefully they can rectify this but in my humble opinion they blew it when they tried to fabricate the Tracer seat from their own FJ-09 seat pan.  It even appears they glued on a couple of black brackets to the rear of the riders seat.....kind of a cobbled up design rather than a properly molded to fit seat pan.     

I think they should scrap the whole damn thing and start over.  Build a dedicated seat for the Tracer so that it will fit properly.  I would be willing to wait if I knew the end result would match the quality of their previous products I have owned.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

At the risk of unduly prolonging this subject, I don't think anyone is bad-mouthing Sargent per se, just the crap job they appear to have done with the seat.   If Sargent not had a fine reputation before this happened, nobody would have turned a hair, but it's their fall from previous high standards that seems to have excited folks here.   Their R&D and QC people have certainly done a lot of reputational damage to the brand.

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I reached out to Sargent today and received an email back saying I am going to be shipped a new seat set (I bought front and rear). He said I should receive an email with shipping/tracking information in a couple days. 

• Premium Member

I like mine a lot, I just don’t love it. I would have been fine with them just modifying mine but they wanted to ship out a new set. They must have made more changes than just adding to the front of the front seat to get rid of that slope.