{Tracer} Sargent seat update

• Premium Member

I only called them and ordered it. I didn’t make any special requests, so I would imagine yours would come like this. 

I’m very pleased with mine. 

7 hours ago, 3sum said:

I only called them and ordered it. I didn’t make any special requests, so I would imagine yours would come like this. 

I’m very pleased with mine. 

Could you confirm my opinion about the pictures Sargent sent me and the position of the seat level? I mean: 2 pics of the pictures they say it's the high level seems to me to be the low level...

On 11/23/2019 at 5:32 PM, 3sum said:

@quaxum here it is in the high slot. 

F0428A00-4447-4F02-A2B4-0422BCB08F10.jpeg

854196C8-CD42-4BF5-B439-3E63D8287007.jpeg

Hello 3sum,

Another question...is the passenger seat on this pictures not locked into place? It looks like the passenger seat is a bit high to be supporting on the subframe...

Like to hear from you soon!

Kees

12 hours ago, KeesH said:

Another question...is the passenger seat on this pictures not locked into place? It looks like the passenger seat is a bit high to be supporting on the subframe...

@KeesH, this seems to be common with aftermarket seats. They often use longer rubber mounts underneath the seat, which raises it and creates a gap to the bodywork, but they are fully supported on the subframe. I and others posted on this in relation to the Bagster version. The solution is to swap the rubbers with the original Yamaha versions from the old seat, which then reduces the gap. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

If you want a Sargent seat but also want a good fit, send them your stock seat for a rebuild.  If you order their seat it is an FJ-09 seat of their own manufacture, which they modified in an attempt to fit the Tracer. 

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Yeah that was clear to me. I'm live in the Netherlands, and when I decide to rebuild my seat based on the original basepan, I will go to a local upholstery shop. The Sargent will cost me 625 euro, and for that money it has to be spot on..

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, johnmark101 said:

….. Hopefully they can rectify this but in my humble opinion they blew it when they tried to fabricate the Tracer seat from their own FJ-09 seat pan.  It even appears they glued on a couple of black brackets to the rear of the riders seat.....kind of a cobbled up design rather than a properly molded to fit seat pan....

I've compared the Sargent basepan to the stock one…. and indeed the genuine basepan rests on de backside also on the subframe. So it rests on 6 points instead of 4 (what the FJ did). I also noticed the 'black brackets' on the back of Sargent seat (I thought/hoped they were screwed from the inside), and it doesn't seem very rigid to me.. I think you're right. As I said, in The Netherlands will the seat cost me 625 euro's, and for that money, I want a perfect seat. I'm very curious about Sargent's actions in the future. Will they start over with the engineering?

I'm a machine designer myself, and we also reuse components when it's possible. But the end quality is alway by far the most important thing to me. When the end result is not 100%, I will design new parts..

1 thing… I also spotted the Corbin seat for the Tracer 900. The Corbin design philosophy make sense to me, the fitting is also good (high setting only, for me perfect), but the costs here in The Netherlands are 800 euro (due to 175 dollar shipping). Corbin didn't discount me anything, even not during the Daytona Bike Week.🤨

Edited by KeesH
  • Thumbsup 1

On 3/7/2020 at 4:39 AM, 3sum said:

@KeesH, it’s locked in position. 

Hello 3sum,

Could you please verify this for me at your motorcycle? I've looked closely to your and other pictures, and I looks like the rear seat is not engaged properly. Also when I look at this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRXrs2IMbY , it looks the bottom of the rear seat follows the fairing quite nice..

Thanks!

Kees