Crash Bars -- Do They Work?

Has anyone actually dropped their FJ equipped with crash bars?   If so, did the bars reduced damage appreciably?

I ask because it looks like lots of pieces are still vulnerable with bars installed including plastic and various engine and transmission covers.

Have bars saved you damage or not?

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I've seen the following posts on this forum:

• the sw-motech crash bars didn't adequately protect the lower part of the engine case,
  • a guy who installed the Givi crash bars and decided to lay it on it's side to show it does protect the bike (bless his soul :) ) .
  • Another guy had dropped his GT and said the Fehling bars adequately protected his bike in the drop

I'll leave you the joy of searching for the above  :)

Hi folks

I once dropped my tracer after e donkey brake manoever. It fell to its left side and nothing got broken! I have installed the SW-Motech guards and the original Yamaha protectors for the engine (only the plastic part of the protector was scratched a little bit, but if you don't know it, you wouldn't see it) and there was a topcase on the bike which got also only two small scratches! And I had also mounted barendprotectors from Gilles, which was scratched too. That was the only part I am going to replace! The SW Motech only needed a ziny spot of black paint!

If someones interested i can look for fotos

Have a good season without testing your crash bars!

Merrill

Sturz.jpg

Archived