Sign in to follow this  
captainscarlet

Fork oil advice wanted

As I have mentioned in other threads I am in the process of updating my suspension.  At the front end this means new K-tech springs at 9.0 Nm and obviously fresh oil.

I have trawled the numerous threads on this board and have understood that a fork oil with a low cST value is what's required.  On that basis I have bought some of this stuff:

0000239_extralight-25wt-suspension-fluid
WWW.REDLINEOIL.COM

Popular in NASCAR's professional categories, motocross, and road racing, where top engineers try to run the lightest fluid possible that maintains its viscosity and stability.

It has a cST value of 8.3.  I received two bottles of the stuff yesterday and confess I'm now a little unsure.  It is very fluid and to my untrained eye looks more like blue coloured water!  Have I gone too light?

CS

I ran 10.8 in my forks and had the rebound damping screw out ~10 clicks from full hard (had a range of 14 clicks). This is the trial and error bit of the mystery that is suspension setup. There's no right answer here... it is whatever will work for you. You won't know until you try. I took a chance on 10.8 and was glad I didn't go higher. It was pretty thin too.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif - IBA #66956 - 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

I ordered new spring for mine from Stoltech. Their advice was to use 5W if revalving the front end and 10W if we are just replacing springs. I have the springs but won't get to gauge the results till spring.

I am 224 lbs with all the riding gear. I replaced front springs by progressive Wilbers with stiffness 8,5 - 10,5 N/mm (free lenght 295mm). Replaced fork oil by lighter - cSt 40°C = 6,7 (2,5W SAE Wilbers Zero friction), height 150mm under top. After many tests I finished with 10 clicks from full hard (I tried to find the least possible damping without feeling bouncy). Front sag 30mm free/45mm with rider. It works fine now.