Rotella 15w40

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In my Owner's Manual it says not to run a diesel oil rated "CD" or higher. The T6 5w40 or 15w40 fits the bill.

Additionally according to the temperature and viscosity chart  (in said Owner's Manual) 15w40 is good for 30 to 110 degrees F.

Count me in for the 15W40. 

• Premium Member

The T6 5w 40 is Jaso rated that's what I run and everything two and four wheels never had a problem

Used to run the mobile one until they change the formulation you can't get it without the additives that screw up the clutch

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The T6 5w 40 is Jaso rated that's what I run and everything two and four wheels never had a problem

Used to run the mobile one until they change the formulation you can't get it without the additives that screw up the clutch

You can still get Mobil 1 4T in 10w-40 that is JASO MA rated. That's what I run in my FJ-09, mainly out of habit. I don't really know if it's better or worse than other oils, but it's never damaged anything and I can buy it at O'Reilly's. 

The Rotella T6 is JASO DH-2 rated, which is not the same as MA. Obviously a lot of motorcyclists run T6 without trouble so perhaps this distinction doesn't matter. But JASO DH-2 is not a motorcycle-specific rating per se. 

30 minutes ago, keithu said:

You can still get Mobil 1 4T in 10w-40 that is JASO MA rated. That's what I run in my FJ-09, mainly out of habit. I don't really know if it's better or worse than other oils, but it's never damaged anything and I can buy it at O'Reilly's. 

The Rotella T6 is JASO DH-2 rated, which is not the same as MA. Obviously a lot of motorcyclists run T6 without trouble so perhaps this distinction doesn't matter. But JASO DH-2 is not a motorcycle-specific rating per se. 

It's actually JASO DH-2, MA/MA2 rated.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-and-blend-oil/t6-full-synthetic/_jcr_content/par/productDetails.stream/1556117315505/6aaeba0ca380ce31c1a45ba16a94dded7f4aea73/t6-sae-15w-40.pdf

Rating.png

Edited by CJ3cyl
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Rotella T6 is not new, I've been using it for many years. It's the only oil I used in my old FJ09, and my new Tracer 900.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, CJ3cyl said:

Oops, I stand corrected. Thank you. 

I used to run T6 in my old Triumph. I haven't run it lately because it seems like Walmart is the only place around here that sells it, and I hate going there. I may give it another try. 

I love a good oil thread! I always tell people I use the cheapest oil and that it doesn't matter because I'm going to trade it in 4 years anyhow. That really gets people's panties in a bunch, works great..

• Haha 4

On 3/11/2019 at 8:19 AM, gnr said:

I've never seen T6 15w40 before, but I'm in Canada. Is that new?

We've got it too.  Availability varies, but Walmart here in Calgary has it.  

I used to mix the 5w40 and 15w40 (both synthetic) to get 10w40 for my old bikes, but I just run "proper" motorcycle 10w40 in my Tracer.  I'm sure the Rotella would be fine (zounds of people use it with no problems, and like I said I've used it on tons of other bikes) but I have a 5yr warranty and you know how companies can be about finding excuses to not honor warrantees.

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

We've got it too.  Availability varies, but Walmart here in Calgary has it.  

I used to mix the 5w40 and 15w40 (both synthetic) to get 10w40 for my old bikes, but I just run "proper" motorcycle 10w40 in my Tracer.  I'm sure the Rotella would be fine (zounds of people use it with no problems, and like I said I've used it on tons of other bikes) but I have a 5yr warranty and you know how companies can be about finding excuses to not honor warrantees.

Would they really even have a leg to stand on to deny a warranty claim when the oil carries the jaso-ma rating? I wouldn't think so.