Can a FJR top case be mounted to a Tracer GT?

magnatic

I have the stock FJR top case on my current FJR.  I had a Givi topcase on my last FJR.  I would chose the Givi over the OEM FJR top case every time.  The stock FJR case is heavy and also gives you little to no option of adding additional lighting.  The FJR trunk looks fairly roomy from the outside.  Once opened you realize there is so much wasted space inside.  The case is oval on the outside and rather rectangular on the inside with a thick wall around the actual storage area.

The Givi case is probably half the weight of the OEM trunk.  It is much more useful and adding additional lighting is easy.  The Givi cases provide lots more storage.  I installed the 56 liter Givi Maxia 4 on my GT.  I can put 2 extra large modular helmets side by side in it.  Stay away from the Maxia 3.  The outer shell is not reinforced like the Maxia 4.  This is probably the best accessory I've added to the GT to date.

Thank you for the input.  I picked up a set of FJR side cases to use on trips since they have a greater capacity than the Yamaha city cases that come with the bike.  Since the vendor also has the FJR top case available, I wondered if it was worth it but you've helped me decide against buying it.

So you would you say the Givi is better than the 50L Yamaha case for the Tracer?

34B-F84A8-10-00.jpg
WWW.YAMAHA-MOTOR.CA

Buy the 50L Top Case (34B-F84A8-10-00) online with Yamaha Motor Canada. Plus view more Model Search like Anchors, Fenders & Ropes, Gauges, Registration Kits, Safety Gear, Stands...

I've not seen the 50 liter Yamaha top case in person.  It may be just fine.  It looks like it's made by Givi.  My advice would be a 56 liter top case holds more than a 50 liter top case.  Really up to you.  The 50 liter Yamaha top case in your picture doesn't look like it's designed to add turn signals very well.  You can find excellent top case lighting at https://admorelighting.com/

https://admorelighting.com/product/ledv56-t-ts/

12 hours ago, magnatic said:

Thank you for the input.  I picked up a set of FJR side cases to use on trips since they have a greater capacity than the Yamaha city cases that come with the bike.  Since the vendor also has the FJR top case available, I wondered if it was worth it but you've helped me decide against buying it.

So you would you say the Givi is better than the 50L Yamaha case for the Tracer?

34B-F84A8-10-00.jpg
WWW.YAMAHA-MOTOR.CA

Buy the 50L Top Case (34B-F84A8-10-00) online with Yamaha Motor Canada. Plus view more Model Search like Anchors, Fenders & Ropes, Gauges, Registration Kits, Safety Gear, Stands...

IIRC the cases for the Tracer are actually made by Shad. The OEM Mount will hold either the 50L or the 39L topcase.

PwEZhvUlaKWTg-MSg3SoZihlhAE8cJ4glgwzRzgA
WWW.SHOPYAMAHA.COM

I'm saving up to get one. Just wish I knew how big it would look on the bike. It's my daily driver so storage space flexibility is very necessary for me, but I don't want it to look goofy either.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Bimbim18 said:

I'm saving up to get one. Just wish I knew how big it would look on the bike. It's my daily driver so storage space flexibility is very necessary for me, but I don't want it to look goofy either.

C'mon, its a top case, they go hand in hand with "goofy looking"... On the bright side, when you're on the bike, YOU cant see it.  😉

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Function over form.  I think riders who end up with a bunch of wet stuff are the ones who look goofy.  Dry storage on your bike is so useful.  If you are a fair weather rider, you can get away without a top case.  Touring riders add accessories to their bikes to make the trip more comfortable.  When on a long trip, where do you intend to store your extra layers and other gear?  When commuting to work, it's nice to have a place to store your gear and laptop, etc.  When making a run to the store, dry storage for the ride home for your groceries is so useful.  If anyone asks you why you installed a top case since it takes away from the "look" of the bike, you instantly know they don't ride much.

Another great reason to add a top case is to add extra lighting up higher on the rear of the bike to make you more visible to motorists from the rear.  Again, function over form.  After owning a bike with a top case, you'll never have a bike without one.  I tend to leave my top case empty on trips so I have a place to store my helmet and jacket when stopping to eat, etc.  On a rainy day, it's so nice to have.  On dry days, it's nice to have a secure place to store things.

I use the FJR side case zippered bags.  I use part of one of one of my side cases to store a tire repair kit, some useful tools, a tire pump, rain gloves and boot covers. In that same bag I can add some microfiber towels, chain lube, etc.  The bag in the other side case is reserved for clothes i pack for the trip.  The trunk is a place I try to keep empty to use while stopped for helmet, gps, jacket, etc.

If you don't have a top case, where are you going to put the beer you buy on the final stop before the hotel or campground?  Or if you want to pick up some food, again, thank you top case.  In closing, once you have a bike with a top case, you'll never have a bike without one.  Function over form.

I bought a used FJR one time and noticed the previous owner cut the bottom half of the rear fender off to expose more of the rear tire to make it look "cool".  It wasn't so "cool" after riding in the rain and getting water and dirt all over the back of the bike.  The same with fender eliminator kits.  A really dumb thing to do if you intend to do any long days on the bike.  The rear fender is there and designed the way it is for a reason.

I tend to add useful additions to the bike whether or not it looks "cool".  To real riders who put thousands of miles on their bikes, top cases are the real "cool".

The same goes for loud, obnoxious exhausts.  Changing out your exhaust to one with a richer sounding note is one thing, and to me, that's perfectly fine.  An overly loud exhaust is plain rude and I hope you don't live in my neighborhood.  The same goes for installing loud waterproof speakers to play your music.  Use your bluetooth and keep your music to yourself.  LOL

• Premium Member
On 2/22/2019 at 7:09 PM, magnatic said:

I prefer the look of it to the other top cases.

Absolutely and great choice! The FJR bags and top box look great on the FJ-09. One key for the ignition, side cases and top box!

010c9693635f567f0157cd970180cfe7dca61d33

IMG_1190.JPG

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived