To TOOGOOLAWAH... and back..

wordsmith

Today I had my first outing for about six weeks, for various good reasons.   The weather over recent weeks has been endless days of high temperatures and even higher humidity, which I find very trying, and as my biking is supposed to be solely for pleasure I don't nowadays go out in such conditions.   More significantly, we also have an eight-and-a-half year old at home with a broken leg (since January 15th), which has had to be pinned with a metal plate and several screws, on top of which a hard splint and much bandaging.   I could not in all conscience leave my wife at home alone with the invalid, trying hard to keep him quiet and calm and restricted lest he damages the leg further, or retards the healing process, so this was a first opportunity to get out, as he's recovering nicely now and due to have the cast taken off in a few days time.   PTL - it has been an extremely trying five or six weeks for all three of us.

Tropical Cyclone Oma was still hovering out to sea after battering hundreds of kilometres of coast to the north and the south of us with winds of up to 97kph.   Massive waves on top of king tides made it necessary to close all beaches except to experienced - and brave! - surfers: surfboard-makers have had a ball as many boards have been snapped in half!   Offshore waves of up to 18 metres - that's metres, not feet or inches - were recorded in recent days.Huge swells and high tides are pummelling southeast Queensland beaches as Cyclone Oma sits off the Queensland coast. Picture: Dave Hunt/AAP

I left home at 6.45am in fairly balmy conditions, but heading home the winds had picked-up to the levels of earlier days, and I was blown all over the road at times: it was hard work!   Some light showers on the return leg added to the mild discomfort -  I had on my mesh jacket which provides no barrier to even the lightest shower -  so I was glad to arrive back home after a rather testing almost 300km for the morning's outing.

I took a regular favourite route along the Brisbane Valley Hwy through the lakes region north of Brisbane to the tiny hamlet of Toogoolawah, an Aboriginal name meaning 'a bend', but whether in the river or a tree or whatever is unknown. 

Lots of bikes were out as usual along this pleasant highway, and I even saw another (parked) Tracer, silver-grey with blue fork, which I have to admit to not liking very much, though I'd be hard pressed to come up with a good reason why!

The new BAGSTER seat was tried-out for the first time, and did not disappoint.   This is my third BAGSTER seat, and I have previously remarked that my bum thought it had died and gone to heaven.   This time I'll stay with the heavenly motif and say that it felt as if an angel was gently cradling my buttocks.   The seats are beautifully-made and detailed, and really set-off the bike, and provide comfort light-years ahead of the plank-like OE perch.   Best buy ever.

I hope to have the first 1000km service done later this week, at which time the replacement clutch-cable assembly will also be installed. 

P1050148.JPG

P1050143.JPG

P1050145.JPG

P1050072.JPG

P1050074.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Battery seems OK now after recharging, but as you'll see from one of the pix above I called into the local church for some divine intervention lest the bike not start - and I was about 150km from home!   The on-its-way voltmeter will give me some assurance once fitted.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Great news @wordsmith . I've wondered  where you've been! 

Glad the little patient is doing well. An 8 year old is a handful when healthy, never mind sick. Show the young nipper how to detail your bike and give him/her a ride as payment.

As an old man who surfs, I can tell  you those waves look very frightening. To big for me.

Take heart, the seasons are changing and your wx pattern will likely break as Fall returns to your hemisphere.

Me, I'm waiting for Spring!

cb

PS The seat looks beautiful.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

7 hours ago, nhchris said:

Take heart, the seasons are changing and your wx pattern will likely break as Fall returns to your hemisphere.

Thanks cb.   Strangely, when we moved to sub-tropical Queensland from the State of Victoria, some 1800km south, with its much more temperate climate, folks up here told us that we would have the country's best weather for motorcycling.   My wife was also riding at that time (2001) so we were thrilled.   

But how wrong can you be?    Autumn, winter, spring, are all delightful times for biking.   Summer - much less so due to the heat and oppressive humidity - Florida's 90/ 90.   Many's the summer morning I have stood in my garage, struggling to put on a helmet over a sweaty forehead or gloves over wet hands.   

I think that for biking the summer here is much less appealing than winter time in Victoria - at least layers can be added!

I think that for biking the summer here is much less appealing than wintertime in Victoria - at least layers can be added!

Wordsmith, in the other hemisphere in the southern Gulf coast state of Louisiana we have 2 times a year for 6 weeks each where you don't want to ride. The whole month of January and the first 2 weeks of February. It is just cold, 35 to 50 degrees, wet and grey all the time. Then there is the middle-end of summer, The last 2 weeks of July and the whole month of August you would think you are riding into an oven. 98 - 103 degrees and 98% humidity and 83 at night. But hey that is only 3 months out of 12. That leaves 9 months that are great for riding......I'll take it. The other thing about this hemisphere is that the older we get the easier the heat is and the less cold we can handle. I don't have an urge to ride the bike under 60 degrees, my age, and will ride up to 90-95. The age I hope to get too. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, tktplz said:

The whole month of January and the first 2 weeks of February. It is just cold, 35 to 50 degrees, wet and grey all the time. 

Too funny... EXACTLY my experience this year.  I rode on New Years Day, snuck in a short ride on a warm but wet day in late January, then finally had a nice day yesterday to kick off the spring Gulf Coast riding season.   

I’ll still ride in the 100+ degree and 80%+ humidity days of August, but don’t really tolerate the cold & wet anymore.  

It was a flat 20deg C at 4am just now - that's 68deg F.   But Summer officially ends here on Thursday - it has been brutal this year...

8 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I'll still ride in the 100+ degree and 80%+ humidity days of August, but don’t really tolerate the cold & wet anymore.  

Same here as I turn into a seasoned citizen, I seem to ride only in weather that is above my age. Now I'm 59 fixing to be 60 and it needs to be 60 or warmer for me to ride......just sayin'   😀

On 2/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, wordsmith said:

P1050072.JPG

I didn't notice till this evening. I'd be careful on that Yamaha riding it with a BMW Key Fob. Be Careful.........YAMADOG!

9 hours ago, tktplz said:

I didn't notice till this evening. I'd be careful on that Yamaha riding it with a BMW Key Fob. Be Careful.........YAMADOG!

Jus' showin' off!   But - a word of warning, which I obviously haven't followed myself: Yamaha keys are made of cheese and bend oh so easily if brushed against when left in that seat-lock position!   Be warned...

Archived