Yamaha Tour Tank Bag

vic

9 hours ago, vic said:

Hi

Does anyone know if the Yamaha Branded Tour Tank Bag  uses the same tank ring as the SW-Motech  Evo tank ring. 

Also, does the bag fit the Tracer GT tank without too large a gap.

Thanks for any info.

Vic

My understanding is that yes, it is the SW-Motech Evo tank ring, as the Yamaha City and Touring bags are simply rebranded Motech bags. I ended up with an Evo Engage bag, but I was seriously considering the Yamaha City or Touring and everything that I saw indicated they used the Motech tank ring.

This post here by a member states it is the same: 

Has anyone mounted the City bag on a GT? The ring I have was used on my Versys 1000. I modified it to fit the Tracer tank but the ring is too short to allow the bag to latch due to contact with the plastic at the front and back of the tank. I could probably use spacers to raise the ring but that would look like hell on a brand new bike. If anyone has a picture of the City bag mounted on their bike, I would love to see it.

I did fairly extensive research on tank lock bags, wanted just something small for valet, keys, camera, phone etc., for the rest there is enough storage in side bags. The most cost effective option seem to be the Givi systems.

Ended up purchasing from FortNine.ca the Givi XS319 tank lock bag and BF23 mounting flange. Very happy with this purchase,  only wish the mounting ring was some 5 mm lower. On other hand, with larger bags the ring might be just right.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:17 AM, mike said:

Has anyone mounted the City bag on a GT? The ring I have was used on my Versys 1000. I modified it to fit the Tracer tank but the ring is too short to allow the bag to latch due to contact with the plastic at the front and back of the tank. I could probably use spacers to raise the ring but that would look like hell on a brand new bike. If anyone has a picture of the City bag mounted on their bike, I would love to see it.

I have the Evo Engage with the 110 tank ring and it fits perfectly on my GT.  Just ordered a Yamaha Tour bag for longer trips and hoping that will fit too. Should be ok based on great info found on this site. 

I did a little more research on the City mounted on the GT. It appears that SW Motech supplies a spacer to install between the upper ring and the bag to lower the ring enough to engage the tank ring. I don't want to compress the bag enough to lock it in , as it is now, due to the plastic on the tank being in contact with the bag front and back. The gap at the tank rings appears to be  approximately 1/2 in and the tension on the rings would be  more than my comfort zone. Due to the stiff bottom of the bag it could cause the bag to dislodge and would most likely scuff the plastic on the tank. I bought a couple of plastic cutting boards at Wally World today and will cut and drill a spacer to reduce the tension and allow the bag to sit just off of the tank with no or little contact. I should get this done and installed in the next couple of days and will report back.

The ring I used was the one I bought for the Versys and I modified it to fit the GT tank. You should be able to make a spacer or purchase one from SW Motech to work with the ring you have. The spacer SW Motech sells appears to be overkill and spaces the bag well off of the tank with a large gap. Making one will allow me to determine the proper thickness to make the installation so the bag just hovers over the tank. The spacer is installed between the bag and the top ring that is attached to the bag not between the bottom ring and the tank.

Archived