USB outlet plug to fit into left-hand side cig-lighter socket

Can some kindly soul please point me in the right direction.   E Bay seems to have too many options, several offering additional features, but all I need is a simple 'plug' to push into the cigarette-lighter socket on the lhs of the bike, with a USB outlet at the top.   I have an unwanted Navman sat-nav device that I thought I may as well use here, even though I very rarely venture out of my comfort-zone, geographically-speaking!

Thank in advance.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I bought one at a department store. I also got a o-ring to seal and hold it more securely in the socket. It’s worked well for a couple of years. 

Let’s go Brandon

Looking further into this - and I refer to the left-hand side 'cig-lighter' socket - there are what appear to be two metal contact points deep inside the empty socket - see pic below - a small circular one in the centre and a small square one directly above.  The socket itself is solid, unlike the right-hand side socket which is just an empty 'hole'.

But most of the USB-outlet plugs to suit this l.h.s.socket appear to have two spade-terminals at the bottom of the plug, not workable on my bike, unless I'm missing something - see second pic.  Any thoughts, or - preferably - a link to the item somewhere?

Thanks..

P1050165.JPG

P1050170.JPG

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2 hours ago, wordsmith said:

But most of the USB-outlet plugs to suit this l.h.s.socket appear to have two spade-terminals at the bottom of the plug, not workable on my bike, unless I'm missing something - see second pic.  Any thoughts, or - preferably - a link to the item somewhere?

I think you're over thinking it.  The standard cig socket has two wires going to it, plus and minus.  It is essentially exactly the same as the new voltmeter/usb socket you have bought.

CS

@wordsmith your second photo shows the 2 spade terminals I mentioned in my message to you about wiring in your voltmeter. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thank you all: something as simple as this really shouldn't be so obscure!   But despite being deeply hurt by capt scarlet's suggesting that I was over-thinking it (sob!), I continued, for I have found that thinking about an issue often resolves it!

So today I browsed the local KMart and found a universal USB socket outlet, same as micah2074's above, and bought it for a mere $4.   It slipped easily into the lhs socket, and lo! - there was power to my NavMan.

Now, I have only been considering installing this device as it is now an unwanted spare at home, my wife having recently acquired a newer system in her car.   I have had OE factory sat.navs fitted to previous BMW Roadster and GS bikes, and never bothered to fire them up as I always considered that they'd be a distraction on the road, and in my mind on a motorbike distraction = destruction.   So I may never use it, especially as I have no plans to venture far away from familiar territory in the near future, and even my planned 4500km northern circuit in June may not require its use..   

However, I'm prepared to try it, now that it works, and I need to find a location for it.   The best place from an ease of visibility point of view seems to be on top of the anti-glare hood that I made up and fitted some time ago - see pic below.   I'll make up a narrow channel to run along the top of the hood, line it with non-slip and anti-vibration neoprene, and stand the device in that, resting its top against the windscreen.   I have to think about securing it, but a thought comes to mind that I can use a length of slim elastic cord that would hold it down safely.

If nothing else, it will allow me some enjoyable tinkering and fiddling time!   Stay tuned for more...

P1050171.JPG

P1050173.JPG

P1050174.JPG

14 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thank you all: something as simple as this really shouldn't be so obscure!   But despite being deeply hurt by capt scarlet's suggesting that I was over-thinking it (sob!), I continued, for I have found that thinking about an issue often resolves it!

So today I browsed the local KMart and found a universal USB socket outlet, same as micah2074's above, and bought it for a mere $4.   It slipped easily into the lhs socket, and lo! - there was power to my NavMan.

I'm gonna keep up the psychological warfare I'm afraid.....🤪

I also thought about just buying an adapter like the one you've purchased, until I read the many threads complaining that they always vibrate loose in the socket and stop charging whatever's plugged into them.  That's what prompted me to install a fixed USB-socket in the empty hole on the right hand side of the dashboard.

Might be worth considering given that you're planning a long journey.

CS 

15 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

I'm gonna keep up the psychological warfare I'm afraid.....🤪

I also thought about just buying an adapter like the one you've purchased, until I read the many threads complaining that they always vibrate loose in the socket and stop charging whatever's plugged into them.  That's what prompted me to install a fixed USB-socket in the empty hole on the right hand side of the dashboard.

Might be worth considering given that you're planning a long journey.

CS 

This one seems to be a pretty tight fit in the socket, tho' I guess time will tell.   The rhs 'hole' will have a voltage readout installed, once I receive it - it's on a slow boat from China!

Decided after possibly over-thinking it to purchase a proper mount for the NavMan, finding the seemingly thousands on offer on E Bay.   Found this one - it rotates so the horizontal/ landscape orientation can be maintained; it's aluminium rather than plastic; and it's stocked in Sydney so I won't have to wait too long for it.  AUD$14.   The tall support stem should allow it to be mounted on the central h'bar section between the 'bar mounts, for easy access, but if in use I find it a distraction I'll ditch the entire set-up, or maybe find an alternative location.   Rather be lost than dead!

All that remains for now is to read, learn, and inwardly digest the operating instructions which - strangely - are in the device already! 

s-l1600.jpg

18 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I read the stories of the plug jiggling loose. That’s one of the reasons I use an o-ring. Never had the problem. 

I have a collection of rubber O-rings - if necessary I guess one will fit!   But I say again - it's a pretty tight push-fit as-is.   Maybe the voltmeter in the rhs socket may need extra 'padding' - we'll see.

Archived