Tracer 900GT - GIVI TN2139 Crash Bars/Engine Guard

I just put these on mine and only have done a small ride on them so far.   I like em!  I like the protection and also some options it gives for aux lights, small foot rests, and even potentially some small tool storage/water/tool storage area between the bars and the engine/frame if needed.   I do a lot of custom fab and dig some of the possibilities these bring!

I will say the lack of torque specs and the failure to mention the long rear bolt is amusing :)   

I saw it posted here the torque spec for the "motor mounts" are 45NM which is right (for all 5, the 4 upper bolts and the long rear mount),  The lower footpeg mount on the right side of the bike is 55NM though.   As I think mentioned here or somewhere else, I did put the long rear bolt back in on the other side so if I need to remove the left hand guard, I can do it without needing to remove the entire bolt in the future. 

Another tip, is to take a small ruler, measure each bolt, against the instructions and arrange the spacers/bolts properly so you know which is which.  Since some are only 5-10mm different, if you use the wrong bolt you could damage something. 

20200711_234455363_iOS.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 11:23 AM, Clegg78 said:

I just put these on mine and only have done a small ride on them so far.   I like em!  I like the protection and also some options it gives for aux lights, small foot rests, and even potentially some small tool storage/water/tool storage area between the bars and the engine/frame if needed.   I do a lot of custom fab and dig some of the possibilities these bring!

I will say the lack of torque specs and the failure to mention the long rear bolt is amusing :)   

I saw it posted here the torque spec for the "motor mounts" are 45NM which is right (for all 5, the 4 upper bolts and the long rear mount),  The lower footpeg mount on the right side of the bike is 55NM though.   As I think mentioned here or somewhere else, I did put the long rear bolt back in on the other side so if I need to remove the left hand guard, I can do it without needing to remove the entire bolt in the future. 

Another tip, is to take a small ruler, measure each bolt, against the instructions and arrange the spacers/bolts properly so you know which is which.  Since some are only 5-10mm different, if you use the wrong bolt you could damage something. 

20200711_234455363_iOS.jpg

This is key.  I figure a lot of the complaints are people not doing this.

The bolts are not all the same.  The washers are definitely not all the same.  The photos in the first posts show a missing spacer washer - mine at least came with a washer perfectly sized to fit between those points.  

Gotta figure out which are which, and install it properly.

• Thumbsup 3

• 3 months later...

I just got these engine guards and can't for the life of me fit them to my bike on the left side. It's a 2020 model if that makes a difference.

The lower bolt near the kick stand will not come out. Did some poking around online and it looks like that bolt runs all the way through the bike? The Givi supplied bolt is not nearly that long.

15 minutes ago, tgp! said:

I just got these engine guards and can't for the life of me fit them to my bike on the left side. It's a 2020 model if that makes a difference.

The lower bolt near the kick stand will not come out. Did some poking around online and it looks like that bolt runs all the way through the bike? The Givi supplied bolt is not nearly that long.

Yes, you need another socket/wrench on the other side where the nut is.

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, mellow said:

Yes, you need another socket/wrench on the other side where the nut is.

Makes sense, but the longest bolt Givi sent is only a few inches, not nearly as long as the stock one. The stock one won't be long enough to use with the guards in place, and the Givi supplied one won't reach the far side of the bike. Not sure what to do here.

5 minutes ago, tgp! said:

Makes sense, but the longest bolt Givi sent is only a few inches, not nearly as long as the stock one. The stock one won't be long enough to use with the guards in place, and the Givi supplied one won't reach the far side of the bike. Not sure what to do here.

You reuse the original bolt.

• 2 weeks later...