Suspension Upgrades: A Canadian Perspective

hammer

Hey Gang,

Hopefully this subsect is still visited. I'm posting this here as we have the better bikes, but the lower dollar, that affects some of our decisions. The lack for suspension gurus, our shorter riding time, lower dollar all shapes how we spend. Anyways...

So, I am looking at upgrading my front and rear '15 suspension. There are as many choices as there are opinions, and it gets quite overwhelming sometimes. (But Ohlins is in the lead so far.)

I am looking for some input from a fellow Canadian re: their suspension upgrades. What did you do? Why did you do it? Why did you pick the components you did? Worth it or not worth it? How much did you spend? Any quality Canadian manufacturers and / or techs (especially in the Golden Horseshoe area) that helped you out? Brands that are good and stay away from etc etc etc?

Let's see what you have to say.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hammer

Cheers!

• Supporting Member

@hammer  Here is a whole slew of suspension topics that have been covered.  https://www.tracer900.net/forum/15-fj-09-suspension/

Happy reading!

While I dont have any insight or advise on Canadian companies, every one of the street or dirt bikes that I have owned in the last 25 years have had suspension upgrades and I consider it money well spent, the most beneficial upgrade you can do to any bike.

You can go as simple as a spring replacement to an internal re-valve or a complete fork cartridge or shock replacement.

There are MANY high quality components available to you from K-Tech, Nitron, Penske, Ohlins and companies like Traxxion Dynamics, GP-Suspension, Cogent Dynamics, Race Tech or Norwest Suspension to name a few.

I'm sure some forum members local to you will chime in on recommendations for suspension shops.  Good Luck.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

i picked up a penske 8983 from bayside performance in vancouver.  ordered and set up to my weight and style.  works very well over the stock one.  as for the front forks, i had race tech valves installed with new springs and oil at mission cycle in angus...really stopped the dive and made the ride much nicer.  i'm no racer but the bike feels so much more connected to the road now.

I think i paid around 1200 shipped for the penske and around 800 for the race tech valves and installation ...cdn dollars of course

accelerated technologies in buckhorn, just outside bobcaygeon, offers a whole slew of shocks and suspension services.  I found out about them after i bought my stuff.   hope this helps

51 minutes ago, stumpy said:

i picked up a penske 8983 from bayside performance in vancouver.  ordered and set up to my weight and style.  works very well over the stock one.  as for the front forks, i had race tech valves installed with new springs and oil at mission cycle in angus...really stopped the dive and made the ride much nicer.  i'm no racer but the bike feels so much more connected to the road now.

I think i paid around 1200 shipped for the penske and around 800 for the race tech valves and installation ...cdn dollars of course

accelerated technologies in buckhorn, just outside bobcaygeon, offers a whole slew of shocks and suspension services.  I found out about them after i bought my stuff.   hope this helps

Perfect! I just sent them an email!

I contacted Bayside yesterday to get some pricing...ouch!

Cheers!

• Supporting Member

I have the Nitron NTR-R1 shock from the U.K. and the Race Tech Gold Valve kit installed in the active fork leg. Purchased the kit at FortNine (have to order by kit part number). I did all the labour, so the cost worked out well for me. Choices will depend on the type of riding you do. Ohlins makes great stuff, but... a premium brand can also sell the mediocre for a premium dollar, so choose wisely. Also be mindful to order your shock with a spring for your weight, and not their 'standard issue'.

There was an Ontario fellow on here in the last little bit who had Accelerated Technologies rebuilt his OE shock.. here.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, hammer said:

Perfect! I just sent them an email!

I contacted Bayside yesterday to get some pricing...ouch!

i know...but the free shipping helps and i think mine was on sale and was cheaper than getting one from Stoltec at the time.  exchange rate and duty mess a lot of good deals up for us canucks.

2 hours ago, stumpy said:

i know...but the free shipping helps and i think mine was on sale and was cheaper than getting one from Stoltec at the time.  exchange rate and duty mess a lot of good deals up for us canucks.

Yes, right now even though still pricey, Bayside has some great discounts right now which is tempting... 

Cheers!

5 hours ago, hammer said:

Yes, right now even though still pricey, Bayside has some great discounts right now which is tempting... 

you can always justify a purchase if there is great discounts....😉

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

I have the Nitron NTR-R1 shock from the U.K. and the Race Tech Gold Valve kit installed in the active fork leg. Purchased the kit at FortNine (have to order by kit part number). I did all the labour, so the cost worked out well for me. Choices will depend on the type of riding you do. Ohlins makes great stuff, but... a premium brand can sell the mediocre for a premium dollar, so choose wisely. Also be mindful to order your shock with a spring for your weight, and not their 'standard issue'.

There was an Ontario fellow on here in the last little bit who had Accelerated Technologies rebuild his OE shock.. here.

How do you like the NTR-R1?  did you purchase it form Nitron in the UK?  I was looking into this shock recently also and contacted them, they told me I would have to order from their US distributor, see their response below

Hi Kevin
Thank you for your email. If you live in Canada you will have to order
through our US distributor. You can contact them here:
www.fastbikeindustries.com
sales@fastbikeindustries.com
I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Sales Team
Nitron Racing Systems Ltd
Southfield Road
Eynsham
Oxfordshire
OX29 4JB
UK

Tel: +44(0)1993 849449
Fax: +44(0)1993 849482

sales@nitron.co.uk

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, captfire22 said:

How do you like the NTR-R1?  did you purchase it form Nitron in the UK?  I was looking into this shock recently also and contacted them, they told me I would have to order from their US distributor, see their response below..

Haven't had a chance to go out yet, but the point of reference is pretty low... I should like.

You got Nitron's standard response to inquiries over the email. I called them and told them I was ordering online and would follow-up with details for the build. No issues. Canada is on the list of ship-to destinations on their website. Saved ~$250CAD overall going direct. That's good coin.

FBI techs were in training on the Nitron product line around the time I was ordering. I was quoted $699US... basically Revzilla price.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 3 months later...

So...

I finally bit the expensive bullet and did the Ohlins upgrade. Full front and YA 534 rear. I had it done through Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn. Great little shop, great people, and quality work. Would not hesitate to recommend. John took the time to explain what and how the adjusters work, set sag...top notch.

The bike itself feels SO much better. Nose dive is gone. No more skittish handling going around bumpy corners, no more tailbone jarring hits when you get on Hamilton roads...

If you're on the fence, do it! Try a bike with BOTH ends done, and that should be all you need to do your bike.

• Thumbsup 3
Cheers!