FJ09 to Tracer GT - is it worth it?

After trading for the GT, I used it as designed, and took a 3,400 mile trip through the southwestern US. The bike is good on long interstate runs, where the cruise control is appreciated, but is a total blast when the roads become twisty. The power of the triple is great, even at elevation. The riding ergonomics are good for long days in the saddle. The stock suspension worked fine for me with some extra preload to compensate for the load. The stock windscreen works well to deflect wind, but is noisy. No buffeting for me. The seat padding is ok, but I do not understand why many of the manufacturers build seats that slope foreward like this one. The combination of foreward slope and grippy cover material makes for an uncomfortable backside. A Corbin is planned. Overall, a great bike. 

5A777FD9-676E-4076-85EE-12259D48E695.jpeg

252C4988-CFC4-4C36-8943-0FEDC66E5C71.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, bugie said:

I don't believe i feel it though the handlebars, it's more a case of me hearing a "clunk"

i heard that the sound made by the floating disc brakes.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Is there a law for when you buy something and then a better deal pops up?

I literally just bought (2 days ago) a 2015 FJ-09 with 18k miles for $6k. Prior to buying this bike, I was talking to a gentleman regarding his Tracer 900 GT. He just messaged me telling me he would sell his 2020 Tracer 900 GT with 2,300 miles for $9k. Both bikes are stock. Worth the extra $3k to upgrade? Would love some feedback.

2 hours ago, ItsRichieRich said:

Worth the extra $3k to upgrade?

It's only money,If you can justify the extra cost to upgrade to a newer slightly better equipped bike and would like and use the stuff go for it. Bare in mind that you might not get the full $6k return for your FJ09 

Wahoo I would go for it!  $9 is a good price for a 2020 IMO.  Heck I might even be tempted by it.  I have 19,000 miles on my 2020 and love it.  Haven't ridden much since my trip last year but in one year I put almost 18,000 miles on the bike!  Stock suspension.  Haven't ridden a FJ09 but the Tracer 900 GT is a quick bike that can put the miles down but still be fun in the mountains.  Last year it saw Utah on one trip and from Michigan to Montana and back thru Wyoming on another trip - I'm in Alabama.  It is good just crusing along and the cruse control is wonderful!  Suspension is soft enough for the long rides but still OK for the mountains.  Keep in mind the Tracer 900 GT has heated grips and cruse control and a longer swingarm.  You will want to change the tires on the GT as IMO they are not good.

I have added a skid pan, radiator guard, windscreen, aux lights and the small Yamaha top case.  With the top case (mostly empty on long trips) it is still stable up to well over the interstate speed limit in Montana of 80MPH.  I think the reason they say no top case with side cases is it would be vey easy to overload plus the weight in the top case is pretty far back.  With a new spring and rear shock might be OK.  i don't ride 2 up.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Extra $3k? I'd look at what you're getting for the $3k. If you're adding cc, luggage, heated grips, and a little better throttle and suspension... yes if those are important. You'll lose taxes, too.

I talked to the wife and decided to pass on the updated model.

The ultimate goal of mine is to pick up a 2022 or newer BMW S1000RR. Always been a dream bike of mine and with the new model looking as sexy as it does, I need to have one!

I am just going to stick with this FJ-09 and run it till the wheels fall off.

• Thumbsup 1

Well if you are considering a BMW (bring more wallet) cost is not a problem 🙂

The real question is, does the S1000RR have heated grips and cruse control 🙂

Seriously cruse control is fantastic for those small towns with low speed limits.  I really like the IMU and cornering ABS that the S1000RR has.  Think it can control how high it lets the front wheel come up.  

57 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Well if you are considering a BMW (bring more wallet) cost is not a problem 🙂

The real question is, does the S1000RR have heated grips and cruse control 🙂

Seriously cruse control is fantastic for those small towns with low speed limits.  I really like the IMU and cornering ABS that the S1000RR has.  Think it can control how high it lets the front wheel come up.  

For the most part, BMW are reliable and their customer service is really good.

My boss recently had the engine on his 2014 R1200GS grenade (ironic that I say they're reliable bikes but I use this as an example 😅) randomly. His bike only had 6k miles, and way out of the warranty period. A couple of phone calls and they replaced his engine free of charge. How's that for customer service..

And to answer your question, the S1000RR does have heated grips and cruise control. Unusual for a sportbike haha.