• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How do you stay dry?

rlambke19

I use Sealskinz socks for hiking @rlambke19 and they are amazing, you can get your walking boots saturated with rain and still have dry feet. They don’t breathe as well as normal socks and have a slightly “crinkly” feel about them as they have a “goretex”-like membrane inside them. I’ve only used them a few times in my motorbike boots, and only in winter, where they kept my feet toasty. They would probably be oppressive in summer.

@wordsmith, there are plenty of other brands other than Sealskinz who so the same type of sock. I just wanted to save you from using carrier bags on your feet.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 hours ago, BBB said:

@wordsmith, there are plenty of other brands other than Sealskinz who so the same type of sock. I just wanted to save you from using carrier bags on your feet.

Thank you again - it's OK so long as I remove the groceries from the carrier-bags!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

17 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thank you for your consideration, 3B, and your interest in my style (such as it is).   These sox seem to be a good idea, but alas I could not possibly wear them as their blue colour would clash violently with my red bike.   Otherwise, would seem worthwhile...

They come in black too. 😉

• Premium Member

Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants. Goretex gloves and boots!

I'd rather ride in beautiful weather of course, but if it rains, I enjoy it! Not need to stop, just keep on going. I absolutely love riding in a downpour, totally dry and protected. My own little cocoon. 

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I live on Vancouver Island and had a work event to attend in the Greater Vancouver area.  Decided to be frugal with my travel budget and take the bike over on the ferry instead of flying.  Sure it might rain a bit I thought, but at least I can try out my new KLIM Latitude gear.  Well holy crap did it rain.  For those of you in the US PNW, you probably had the same thing (Sept.12).  I think we set some records.  There was so much water coming at me that it did manage to find ways to creep into the gear. (lesson learned -- zip and tighten everything up) Also the leather on the forearms got completely saturated and made the inside of the arms quite damp.  But I'm willing to treat Thursday as an outlier event.  The KLIM gear is great.  Used it or a cross-BC trip this summer where temperatures ranged from 13 C to over 30 C.  You never know what you're going to get.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gore-tex gear is where it's at. Jacket, Pants, Boots, gloves... all of it. It's worth every penny. Gore-tex gear is breathable, keeps you dry, and I've never had any leaking issues with gore-tex, save one. My last pants (KLIM badlands pro) were gore-tex, and where the water pools at your crotch area in a deluge, it would sometimes soak through the seams in the pants; not a failure of the fabric, but of the seams. this only happened twice, both times stuck in torrential downpour for over two hours in stop and go traffic.

I've tried the other ways of protecting from water, and each has issues.

• Water proof liners work (i rode with a kit that had liners for two years), but the outerwear gets SOAKED, and it's like riding in a trash bag when the liners are in. You're dry... but sweat stays in and soaks your undergarments, making you colder. You don't want to wear the liners all the time for the same reason - so you only put them in when it's actually raining - which sometimes meant changing into the liners on the side of the road at the first sign of rain. no bueno.
  • Drystar (as a fabric) has the benefit of no liners, but has the same garbage bag feeling. I rode with a Drystar jacket and pants for 2 monts, and it was the most miserable 2 months of my riding career.
  • Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...

I moved to California and only ride during the 9 month no-rain season.  🙂  

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 8 months later...

I have a set of klim latitude pants and jacket, expensive but it’s the last set of gear I’ll buy for the next 10 years, did a tour of Tasmania last year rained for two days solid, stayed warm and dry. As for gloves I have a set Dainese Jericho GTX gortex winter gloves and a set of held air and dry gortex glove both have kept my hands dry and warm 

with the dainese gloves it’s all about how you put them on 

1 . Fold the outer gauntlet forward 

2.  Pull the inner sleeve up on your forearm, pull your jacket over the inner sleeve and Velcro up tight

3.  Roll the outer gauntlet back over your jacket sleeve and zip up

you may need a little help but it worth it to keep your hands warm and dry  

Edited by jimcoleman

On 11/5/2019 at 3:29 PM, kaia said:

Gore-tex gear is where it's at. Jacket, Pants, Boots, gloves... all of it. It's worth every penny. Gore-tex gear is breathable, keeps you dry, and I've never had any leaking issues with gore-tex, save one. My last pants (KLIM badlands pro) were gore-tex, and where the water pools at your crotch area in a deluge, it would sometimes soak through the seams in the pants; not a failure of the fabric, but of the seams. this only happened twice, both times stuck in torrential downpour for over two hours in stop and go traffic.

I've tried the other ways of protecting from water, and each has issues.

• Water proof liners work (i rode with a kit that had liners for two years), but the outerwear gets SOAKED, and it's like riding in a trash bag when the liners are in. You're dry... but sweat stays in and soaks your undergarments, making you colder. You don't want to wear the liners all the time for the same reason - so you only put them in when it's actually raining - which sometimes meant changing into the liners on the side of the road at the first sign of rain. no bueno.
  • Drystar (as a fabric) has the benefit of no liners, but has the same garbage bag feeling. I rode with a Drystar jacket and pants for 2 monts, and it was the most miserable 2 months of my riding career.

The only Drystar gear I have is a jacket that I bought for a really good price that I wear during early spring/late fall rides as I know it get super-warm. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...