Riders over 6ft/190cm, what windscreen do you use?

Husqy

54 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@Husqy - Did you ever make a decision on this?   Just interested in which route you decide to pursue:  Bigger or smaller than stock?  

Not really.. I've been running a shorty for almost 2 years now because the rest just push all the wind into my forehead.

FJ owner nearby might be selling his parabellum screen, 26 in tall, and I'll try that out if he's willing to part with it. 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Husqy said:

Not really.. I've been running a shorty for almost 2 years now because the rest just push all the wind into my forehead.

FJ owner nearby might be selling his parabellum screen, 26 in tall, and I'll try that out if he's willing to part with it. 

I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam, and I ride behind a 22" Madstad. Can't be beat! My FJ is set up as a sport-tourer, and I live in Oklahoma. It is quite windy here, and the Madstad navigate it all, including sidewinds. Performance is excellent as it does not completely block out the wind. You get enough to keep you cool on a hot summer day, and warm in the winter time.

• 3 weeks later...

6'4 and 32 inch inseam as well, I have the big Givi touring windscreen with the extra wing deal for the top. Works pretty well and the wing is adjustable to fine tune and control any flow. 

I actually was thinking about selling it entirely though as summer is here in Florida and I always take the screen off.

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'2" and use a Puig race screen during warmer weather. The stock screen blocks enough air for me but is extremely noisy. I installed one of the small $25 Chinese lip type screens which quieted the system and allows open helmet shield riding in the colder months.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:43 AM, texscottyd said:

So, I finally settled on a CalSci tinted shorty screen, and couldn't be happier.  It looks a bit like the custom one you've created, but is wider at the base to give a smoother airflow.  A couple of caveats:  I always ride with earplugs, so what I perceive as quiet may be different for you.  And yes, you definitely are more in the direct airflow, but on this bike it works much better for me.  

Same here. I use the eBay cheapo.

s-l400.jpg

The windshield can protect motorcycle enthusiasts from the...

Works great!

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 4 weeks later...

6'4", 32" inseam. Stock was brutal, so I got a V-Stream Sport Touring screen. Huge improvement but still got some buffeting/turbulence over top part of helmet regardless of height adjustment. I cut down stock shield into a shorty and had smooth air flow but noisy for hwy commute and lot of air pushing on torso in general. So after a lot of research here on the forum and elsewhere I purchased a Puig Racing screen and love it. Air hits shoulders and helmet is in clean air. Surprisingly quiet. Much quieter than the stock shorty I made. I may get a clip on spoiler/deflector for the V-Stream for long trips, but don't think I will need it, and not a fan of the idea of having to swap out the mounting hardware every time I want to switch screens. I have done 250 miles or more in a day with Puig screen and did not feel that the noise or wind was causing any amount of fatigue. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

6'5" , 34" inseam...Stock was terrible, I took the stock off and it was mehhh for a bit, so I got the Puig touring screen.

The buffeting is pretty bad and I had to put earplugs in to stop myself from blowing out my eardrums on the highway, but it's a ton better than stock...Honestly, the worst part about ALL the screens I've tried so far is the front end shake/wobble that i get no matter what when i'm driving on a highway or above 45mph with cars around me. It's like the turbulent air from other vehicles is shoving my handlebars back and forth. The wind knocks into my chest and the resulting wobble is honestly terrifying lol. I had an Aprilia Tuono Factory and a Ducati Monster before this, both had basically no windscreen...both went 100mph+ with cars around and neither ever shook. I'm beginning to think someone was drunk or asleep when they did the aerodynamics testing on this bike at the factory. 

Has anyone else experienced this wobble from the wind smashing into your chest? I need to figure out how to fix this, I don't feel comfortable taking the girl or myself for long rides on this until it's fixed. - Thanks

• 5 months later...

My biggest concern is wind noise, I have an AGV Corsa R helmet and the wind noise is terrible, even with earplugs.

I don't mind the buffeting and I will take the stock screen off tomorrow and see what difference it makes but the noise is the most tiring part of riding for me.

• Thumbsup 1

19 minutes ago, andz said:

My biggest concern is wind noise, I have an AGV Corsa R helmet and the wind noise is terrible, even with earplugs.

I don't mind the buffeting and I will take the stock screen off tomorrow and see what difference it makes but the noise is the most tiring part of riding for me.

Ear plugs differ in ability to tune out wind noise. It might be worth you trying a different set? I use pinlock versions and they have a little plastic insert which you can swap according to which frequency you want to attenuate.  

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

40 minutes ago, BBB said:

Ear plugs differ in ability to tune out wind noise. It might be worth you trying a different set? I use pinlock versions and they have a little plastic insert which you can swap according to which frequency you want to attenuate.  

I just use the Moldex foam plugs, when they are in and I am stationary they block sound pretty well but on the move the wind takes over.

What do you use? Do you have a link?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, andz said:

I think you will notice a huge difference without a wind screen.  My brother has a Honda 919 naked bike with no screen and when we ride together we always swap bikes throughout the day, the difference between the 2 bikes is very noticeable.

I cant say that I share the same feelings with you about wind buffeting though, having your head shake around like a rag doll makes a ride miserable and will wear you out very quickly.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***