aftermarket Akrapovic exhaust vs OEM Yamaha Akrapovic

bugie

12 hours ago, donk said:

I believe the difference is one system works with the center stand and one doesn’t. 

I had the dealer remove the centre stand while they were assembling the bike pre-delivery, I don't like the look of the other pipe.

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to remove the stock headers and exhaust without removing the center stand? I'd like to install a full Akrapovic system and would prefer not to remove and re-install the center stand. 

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, mingo said:

Is it possible to remove the stock headers and exhaust without removing the center stand?

Yes.  Put the bike on the side stand so that you can move the centerstand up and down as you need while removing the oem pipe.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, mingo said:

Is it possible to remove the stock headers and exhaust without removing the center stand? I'd like to install a full Akrapovic system and would prefer not to remove and re-install the center stand. 

As stated above,...yes. I'd suggested getting a second pair of hands to make the task easier. I removed my stock exhaust with the center stand still mounted. It took some work and finagling, but I was able to do it myself. If I had to do it again I'd enlist my wife to help.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Weill, I installed it today.It was rather difficult getting the canister to slide onto the header's tube. I had to use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet and I hammered it at the mounting bracket above the canister and lubed the connection to the header pipe with WD40. And yes, I had a pair of hands to help which was essential. 

IMG_5246.thumb.jpeg.a08c503837fede1fefcbc45b955656d1.jpeg

Edited by mingo

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, mingo said:

Weill, I installed it today.It was rather difficult getting the canister to slide onto the header's tube. I had to use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet and I hammered it at the mounting bracket above the canister and lubed the connection to the header pipe with WD40. And yes, I had a pair of hands to help which was essential. 

Before you start the motor, clean any grease and fingerprints off the exhaust with alcohol.

• Thanks 1

I cleaned everything with WD40 which is what the manual suggested and I used gloves during the installation I will give it another cleaning before I start it. Bike still has zero miles on it. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, mingo said:

Bike still has zero miles on it. 

That is a sad thing to read, you must be chomping at the bit.😲

yes I am, but I'm also not sure if it's socially responsible of me to go out for a leisurely ride. I've been in confinement at home for 4 weeks now and I'm just thinking of a worst case scenario (for me) I don't want to be add to the load the health care system is facing right now. 🤷‍♂️

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, mingo said:

yes I am, but I'm also not sure if it's socially responsible of me to go out for a leisurely ride. I've been in confinement at home for 4 weeks now and I'm just thinking of a worst case scenario (for me) I don't want to be add to the load the health care system is facing right now. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly, I have been staying at home for the same amount of time.  We have been having some amazing weather lately and it is killing me to stay home.

• 10 months later...
On 4/16/2020 at 2:38 AM, mingo said:

This is the only good looking exhaust, not a fan of the stubby cans, slash cut all day long. 

gonz. 

Edited by Great Gonzo

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...