Plug heated gear into accessory plug?

Does anyone know if the accessory plug has enough juice to run a heated jacket liner?  I know the bike is supposed to make enough juice, but I'm wondering if the wires that supply the accessory plug are of a sufficient gauge to supply adequate power.  Or do I need to just hook the heated clothing pigtail straight to the battery, as I have done on previous bikes.

• Premium Member
Does anyone know if the accessory plug has enough juice to run a heated jacket liner?  I know the bike is supposed to make enough juice, but I'm wondering if the wires that supply the accessory plug are of a sufficient gauge to supply adequate power.  Or do I need to just hook the heated clothing pigtail straight to the battery, as I have done on previous bikes.
Definitely not. 2 amps max on the accessory plug. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I installed an aftermarket 12V/15A accessory socket wired to the battery on the right side of the dash where the FJ has a hole for one. I think I used a Bikemaster socket (I got it for a different project that didn't happen) and there are others.

I assume you then had heavier gauge wires that ran straight to the battery terminals. Is this correct?
Yes, a heavier wire (maybe 14 guage) to the battery terminals with a 15A inline fuse.  I've used it to power heated jacket and gloves.

Archived